US Politics: Stamping out Chauvinism

Fragile Bird

Federal Investigators Execute Search Warrant at Rudy Giuliani’s Apartment
Prosecutors obtained the warrant as part of an investigation into whether Mr. Giuliani broke lobbying laws as President Trump’s personal lawyer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/28/nyregion/rudy-giuliani-trump-ukraine-warrant.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Federal investigators in Manhattan executed a search warrant on Wednesday at the Upper East Side apartment of Rudolph W. Giuliani, the former New York City mayor who became President Donald J. Trump’s personal lawyer, stepping up a criminal investigation into Mr. Giuliani’s dealings in Ukraine, three people with knowledge of the matter said.

One of the people said the investigators had seized Mr. Giuliani’s electronic devices.

Executing a search warrant is an extraordinary move for prosecutors to take against a lawyer, let alone a lawyer for a former president, and it marks a major turning point in the long-running investigation into Mr. Giuliani.

The federal authorities have been largely focused on whether Mr. Giuliani illegally lobbied the Trump administration in 2019 on behalf of Ukrainian officials and oligarchs, who at the same time were helping Mr. Giuliani search for dirt on Mr. Trump’s political rivals, including President Biden, who was then a leading candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination.

The United States Attorney’s office in Manhattan and the F.B.I. had for months sought to secure a search warrant for Mr. Giuliani’s phones.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Prosecutors obtained the warrant as part of an investigation into whether Mr. Giuliani broke lobbying laws as President Trump’s personal lawyer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/28/nyregion/rudy-giuliani-trump-ukraine-warrant.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Couldn't have happened to more deserving fellow! was my immediate thought seeing this in the news reports this AM. :cheers:

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

I would really love to see some of these people finally have consequences (however small) for their egregious misbehavior. 

https://www.instagram.com/washingtonpost/

A longtime New York Post reporter said she has resigned after being “ordered” to write a false story that claimed undocumented minors were being welcomed to the United States with copies of a children’s book written by Vice President Harris.⁠

“The Kamala Harris story — an incorrect story I was ordered to write and which I failed to push back hard enough against — was my breaking point,” Laura Italiano tweeted Tuesday afternoon, several hours after her viral article about the books had been deleted from the Post’s website and replaced with corrected versions.⁠

Since the Post published the story on its front page Saturday, the conservative mediascape has been in an uproar over the supposed distribution of Harris’s 2019 book, “Superheroes Are Everywhere,” at migrant shelters.⁠

On Tuesday, in a one-sentence note at the bottom of the original online article, the Post acknowledged that almost none of it was true.⁠

Honestly any journalist with integrity should have walked away from the NY Post a long time ago. 

A short NYP story for you all - In the months following 9/11 our 6th Ave office was targeted with anthrax. Two of our staffers were exposed and developed the skin version. We put one of them on the front page, holding up her infected middle finger, with a headline that shouted "Fuck You Osama".  (Edit - to be clear, that cover was circulated internally. The cover that was printed had her sticking up her middle finger with the headline "Anthrax this" and the sub-header "our message to the terrorists" irrc)

I quit soon after, walking away from a very lucrative career for a kid as young as I was back then. 

The propaganda continued throughout all of Newscorp, pushing hard for an invasion of the Middle East. The directive was clear, for every single Newscorp outlet. Military incursion. It was absolutely sickening. 

But, reporters, especially young ones, work where they can. Altho Maggie Haberman bailed out as soon as she could, much to her credit. 

It is deeply distressing to report candidate for mayor of NYC, Scott Stringer, has been accused of sexual abuse of an intern 20 years ago, attempting to bribe her with assistance with political appointments and career.

While the ultra orthodox are supporting as a block Andrew Yang, without an iota of public service experience, but he a Big Tech messiah with truckloads of money.  The last thing NYC needs is another Bloomberg as mayor.

They are making the June primary as difficult as possible, including instituting ranked-choice voting, with dozens declaring.

https://www.thecity.nyc/22233474/the-race-for-nyc-mayor-whos-running-to-run-this-town-in-2021

Considering how the BOE has run the last elections here in NYC I have no hope.  No hope at all for anything sane and useful.

briefly glimpsed today in a right wing newspaper (Epoch Times). A blurb stating that foster parents were receiving government robocall's  asking (demanding?) that they take the offspring of illegal immigrants.  

14 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Late reply but; California triggers image of it just being filled  the stereotypical liberals and a lot of Mexicans in cities.

Not real Americans—conservative white people. Especially those in sparsely populated areas.

Also for a lack of a better; I think there is a particular elitist streak in terms of how many people view real Americans in terms of geographic location and employment.Like man from rural Kansas who works at small farm better represents America than a Barista at a coffe shop.

This also plays into how so many people can truly believe the election was stolen. They look around at their communities and see that overwhelming numbers of their peers believe as they do and voted Trump. I think this country has a hard time wrapping it’s head around the idea that we really aren’t a rural agrarian nation anymore. I also think someone can know that way more people live in cities but it’s hard to comprehend just how many more people do if you don’t see it all the time.

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Which is a wildly inaccurate view of California demographics.

Numerically there are likely more Okies (and their descendants living in suburbia) in Cali than there are rednecks in Arkansas and Missouri combined.  Just drive through the Inland Empire and count the coal-rolling bro-dozers.

People tend to forget how huge and diverse California is. It’s not all surf bums, gangbangers, tech hippies, and ivory tower Berkeley elites. There are more republicans in California than in any other state besides Texas and Florida. We got rich Orange County assholes, dumbass Riverside Trump-bros, and farmers. Shitloads of farmers. Like farmers everywhere.

4 minutes ago, S John said:

This also plays into how so many people can truly believe the election was stolen. They look around at their communities and see that overwhelming numbers of their peers believe as they do and voted Trump. I think this country has a hard time wrapping it’s head around the idea that we really aren’t a rural agrarian nation anymore. I also think someone can know that way more people live in cities but it’s hard to comprehend just how many more people do if you don’t see it all the time.

There are some 20 million people living within a few hours’ drive of my house. Wrap your mind around that, Arkansas!

What non-destructive people, progressive people, have been saying for decades: Climate Change and Infrastructure means JOBS! JOBS! JOBS!

They hate it because this means need for massive employment, which means labor and materials cost, which lordessa save us -- cuts into our obscene profits from no overhead.  And then unions.  And votes.  CANNOT HAVE THIS.  These authoritarians have been fighting against this for decades with every possible weapon including incarceration of labor to work for no pay for decades, and for the further profit of those owning for-profit prisons.  Good for the gddamned cops too.  Everything and anything they point to is a crime.

This is everything They hate and have worked with every cent of support, graft, grift, media They can for decades to rescind and get rid of.

Seriously, the Republican response shouldn't be anything more than Tim Scott getting up, shrugging, and stating, "Yeah, not sure how you argue with that...I'm out..."

Jesus, Tim, read the room...you're not very good at this...

How to fix unemployment insurance, explained by the Senate’s money man
The Covid-19 crisis led to more generous unemployment benefits. Ron Wyden wants to keep them that way — for good.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/22394677/unemployment-insurance-ron-wyden

Under Wyden and Bennet’s scheme, states would be required to offer at least 26 weeks of regular UI benefits (some now provide as few as 14) and to replace 75 percent of workers’ wages (before Covid-19, the average was closer to 50 percent). If they don’t, employers in the state will get dinged on their federal unemployment taxes.

Gig and self-employed workers, those entering the labor force for the first time, and others who don’t qualify for traditional UI would get a “Jobseeker Allowance” of $250 a week for up to half a year. The plan would also resuscitate a mostly moribund provision of the UI system called “Extended Benefits,” which offers up to 13 additional weeks of benefits for the long-term unemployed and is meant to kick in during recessions but historically has been barely helpful. The plan would make the Extended Benefits program more generous, finance it in full using federal dollars, and have it automatically kick in when state or national unemployment goes above 5.5 percent.

I talked to Wyden about his experiences crafting unemployment policy during the Covid-19 crisis, his new UI reform plan, and why this Congress could see the biggest permanent changes to the US unemployment system in 40 years. A transcript of our conversation, lightly edited for length and clarity, follows.

20 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Also, it is taking away a tool that countries use to drive investment. The US is basically saying "I want to take the lead I have and snowball it so others will find it even more difficult to catch up". I do think that countries should and do have other means of attracting investment, but coming from the US, this proposal just seems like their way of demonstrating their hegemony. 

I don't think this is fair at all.  Many members within the G20/OECD have been pressuring us to back a global minimum tax for years.  The EU backs it.  I don't think we should make it into one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations where the US is criticized for a lack of leadership for not doing something then immediately criticized for just perpetuating their hegemony when they do decide to do/support something. 

Now, that being said, I think the push for a 21% rate is clearly more in advancement of the US' interests than the G20/OECD overall.  But, well, welcome to the nature of international agreements.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't think this is fair at all.  Many members within the G20/OECD have been pressuring us to back a global minimum tax for years.  The EU backs it.  I don't think we should make it into one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations where the US is criticized for a lack of leadership for not doing something then immediately criticized for just perpetuating their hegemony when they do decide to do/support something. 

Now, that being said, I think the push for a 21% rate is clearly more in advancement of the US' interests than the G20/OECD overall.  But, well, welcome to the nature of international agreements.

:dunno:

I think that it is absolutely fair. Its not like its being made in a vacuum. As you've acknowledged, its paired with a favourable rate for the US. Not to mention that the US has past history. American exceptionalism didn't come out of nowhere after all. It's also a counter example to Zabz' example of Hungary, and I'm using a forceful example to make a point. Also, the implied point of "nature of international agreements" is exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for making my point for me.

The EU hedge is both tall and wide, by the way.

5 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

American exceptionalism didn't come out of nowhere after all.

The US/the Biden administration coming out in favor of a global minimum tax is hardly an example of "American exceptionalism."  It is the second pillar of the OECD's plan.  It's absurd to pressure the US to get on board with this plan, then when they do, turn around and say it's perpetuating US hegemony.  As for the difference in rates, most every country is going to have their own preferred number that will advance their interests accordingly.  That's the nature of negotiating international agreements, is my point.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

The US/the Biden administration coming out in favor of a global minimum tax is hardly an example of "American exceptionalism."  It is the second pillar of the OECD's plan.  It's absurd to pressure the US to get on board with this plan, then when they do, turn around and say it's perpetuating US hegemony.  As for the difference in rates, most every country is going to have their own preferred number that will advance their interests accordingly.  That's the nature of negotiating international agreements, is my point.

Its not. Coming out with their preferred rate and their past history is. And if you don't think that is fair, well, there is the parable of the boy who called wolf. Too bad.

Also, with regards to rates, as I mentioned in my first response to Zabz, if it was in good faith it'd be at a higher rate. I'm sure the US with their budget deficit could use it.

Archived