US Politics: Stamping out Chauvinism

Fragile Bird

43 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’m always impressed by how these guys make it to their nineties. 

I took a course he taught a decade ago about public policy and he was still as sharp as a whip. A small group of us formed quickly and we always arrived super early to get front row seats. Being visible and prepared got us brownie points, and an old politician can still love his vanity being stroked. He rarely could hide his joy at a good joke at Reagan's expense. 

The importance of this is pretty huge for Organized Labor. It's also the type of win that could serve to ingratiate Biden to some of those swingstate labor voters who've drifted(foolishly) to the darkside.

"Manchin Backs PRO Act, Bill to Eliminate Right-to-Work Laws" https://news.yahoo.com/manchin-backs-pro-act-bill-204306658.html

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

A potential move by the Biden administration that I hadn’t heard about before - an order requiring the reduction of nicotine in cigarettes to non-addictive or nearly non-addictive levels.

Tobacco stocks are falling!

People will just smoke more to get the same fix.

Possibly the Biden administration is starting to get too far ahead of itself. The infrastructure bill isn't even in solid form yet, and they're already talking about the next bill spending bill after that...

I'm glad they're being ambitious; but let's get the bill currently being talked about passed first.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

People will just smoke more to get the same fix.

If they are not reducing this enough for this to be impossible, they are not really reducing it to "non-addictive" levels. 

And as much as I personally hate smoking, I think this may not be a very good idea. There were certainly be a huge organized crime market for smuggling in nicotine-laden items. It seems very odd that we would be going that far in criminalizing tobacco at the same time the nation is moving toward decriminalizing marijuana.

4 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Second day of deliberations and the fact that it is taking this long is probably a bad thing

If it was a bad thing they would have had a decision last night. I think that this means he’s been convicted of at least the manslaughter charge and they are discussing the other charges.

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

If it was a bad thing they would have had a decision last night. I think that this means he’s been convicted of at least the manslaughter charge and they are discussing the other charges.

Manslaughter will not be good enough for Minneapolis, if it isn’t murder (perhaps even if it’s 3rd and not 2nd) it’s going to be a bad time

1 minute ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Manslaughter will not be good enough for Minneapolis, if it isn’t murder (perhaps even if it’s 3rd and not 2nd) it’s going to be a bad time

I don't disagree, but I think police ramped up yesterday across the country because the police were hoping there wouldn't be any convictions at all.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I don't disagree, but I think police ramped up yesterday across the country because the police were hoping there wouldn't be any convictions at all.

I read that there are more troops in Minneapolis currently than Afghanistan. It’s bringing tensions really high and making the community feel very punished

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

A potential move by the Biden administration that I hadn’t heard about before - an order requiring the reduction of nicotine in cigarettes to non-addictive or nearly non-addictive levels.

Tobacco stocks are falling!

Yeah, but it's just cigarettes and banning menthol cigarettes altogether.  Doesn't impact vaporizers or smokeless tobacco.  

Archived