Lauren Hough author meltdown

Derfel Cadarn

Lauren Hough, author of Leaving isn’t the Hardest Thing, had a meltdown on Twitter after a reviewer only gave her ... 4 stars on Goodreads. She equated it to sexual assault. In response Goodreads mass 1-starred her.
She seems to have since deleted the tweets.

https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/120551431.html

Some books on Goodreads, with their star rating average:

The Stranger = 3.99

The Sound and the Fury = 3.86

The Tin Drum = 3.96

Love in the Time of Cholera = 3.92

Gravity’s Rainbow = 3.96

Midnight’s Children = 3.98

Beloved = 3.88

White Noise = 3.87

A House for Mr. Biswas = 3.81

But I guess 4 to 4.5 stars isn’t good enough for this debut author.

Uh, for context, the author grew up in a Christian cult with rampant child and sexual abuse. She is a lesbian who was in the army. She's had a tough life. I read her essay "I Was A Cable Guy. I Saw The Worst Of America."

Normally I would point and laugh at an author who did this, but this time I'll her a pass.

39 minutes ago, Lin Meili said:

Uh, for context, the author grew up in a Christian cult with rampant child and sexual abuse. She is a lesbian who was in the army. She's had a tough life. I read her essay "I Was A Cable Guy. I Saw The Worst Of America."

Normally I would point and laugh at an author who did this, but this time I'll her a pass.

A hard life is no excuse to rage at people and equate them with rapists and Nazis. At least it’s no excuse for doing so because they gave you a less than perfect, but still above average, review. 

11 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

A hard life is no excuse to rage at people and equate them with rapists and Nazis. At least it’s no excuse for doing so because they gave you a less than perfect, but still above average, review. 

She's obviously having a meltdown. I'd give her space rather can "cancel" her over a silly twitter brouhaha. So what if she called someone a rapist Nazi? It's basically Internet 101 that all online discussion, including twitter ones, obey Godwin's Law that

as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler becomes more likely

I've seen it a million times. Maybe I'm too tolerant, but this is par for the course with internet posts/tweets/whatever. I've been on the internet so long that Nazi posts don't even make me raise an eyebrow.

Edit: Forgot to say in my original post that I mentioned it since I had read a post about it earlier. (italics mine)

However, I also think this a great example of how white cis women are able to get away with a lot that other women can’t, even while acting like victims. If a Black woman had gone on a rant like that, she probably would have been dropped by her publisher, or at least had a hard time getting another book published. But Lauren Hough can mock reviewers, insult people on Twitter, and compare negative reviews to rape, all the while saying that her book deserves to be read in classrooms, and act like she’s the victim because she’s a woman. It shows a total lack of self-awareness.

From - https://fangirlish.com/2021/04/19/lauren-hough-shows-us-what-not-to-do-on-book-twitter/

Unless it's a different Lauren Hough from the one I know, she is not a cis woman.

Archived