Stannis vs Tywin

Canon Claude

1 minute ago, Canon Claude said:

I think it was only well defended in the abomination. Roose described it as being a broken and ruined place. He was hoping to appear vulnerable to Stannis and he was also relying on the clansmen’s insistence on saving Ned’s daughter. Plus he had Arnolf Karstark in his back pocket ready to betray Stannis at a word from Roose. But that also proves your point, since the only thing that saved Stannis from striding right into a trap was Jon Snow sending him a warning.

I remember theon thinking that he could defend winterfell with very few man. And despite the fire the wall and other structures made of stone must still be in pretty good shape. 

The main problem is that stannis had no defense against snows. And if planed to siege it the probability of a snowstorm in winter is huge. Sooner or later he would be buried in snow.

2 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

the only thing that saved Stannis from striding right into a trap was Jon Snow sending him a warning. For the second time in that book’s chronology.

Come to think of it, it’s really Jon Snow who planned Stannis’ military campaign, and he saved it from failure twice. 

That doesn't mean Stannis is a bad leader. Anyone can be betrayed, and anyone can make mistakes. Stannis chose to take Jon's advice, and it paid off. Any sensible military leader knows when to take advice from people who have knowledge that they don't. I highly doubt Tywin would have turned his nose up at free intel about how to win people to his cause.

Archived