And the Oscar goes to... [2021]

TheLastWolf

5 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

And Soul just won best animated film - probably better than the actual BP nominees!

Despite my general wariness of Pixar and the fact that I really liked Promising Young Woman and Minari, this is actually spot on. Definitely the best 2020 film that I have seen so far.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

I'm glad Daniel Kaluuya won, he was magnetic in Judas and The Black Messiah.

Unlike anything else in that film XD

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Fill me in on the scoop of this. What sins did they commit anyway?

From my understanding, the detractors are against this movie's historical accuracy; where the creative liberties taken did not create a better story (like The Social Network) but rather a worse one. A lot of people felt as though Sorkin did not do justice to the beliefs of the historical figures by forcibly writing them so that they would align with his more centre-left politics as opposed to their more progressive ideals. If you were to compare the events depicted in this film with what happened in reality; and then contrast it with the events depicted in the tangentially related Judas and the Black Messiah with happened in reality, you can see why people think that Trial of the Chicago 7 should not have received an Oscar nom.

12 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Ha, Steven Sodenbergh really screwed the pooch on this one. He made Best Actor the last award because he clearly expected Boseman to win and they could exploit a tearful, emotional speech from his family, only for Hopkins to win and not even be there to pick It up. Priceless.

Any idea why? 

23 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Any idea why? 

He's 83, living his best life in Wales, and there's still a pandemic going on even if he has been vaccinated. Why go to LA for an awards show, when you could be here?

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

He's 83, living his best life in Wales, and there's still a pandemic going on even if he has been vaccinated. Why go to LA for an awards show, when you could be here?

Nowhere are the sheeps prettier! 

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Be serious. A "10" in Wales would be like, a "7", at best, in New Zealand.

In other news: Harrison Ford. What a legend.

You win good sir, I bow my head to your argument :) 

13 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Oscar viewing figures down 58% , and an all time low. Not very surprising given I doubt most have seen or heard of any of the movies nominated. 

Maybe they can just give up on the Oscars.. will anyone miss it?

Is this what you mean by a Heart of Ice, sir!!?? 

Spoiler

Gender and racial inequality being compensated for at the Academy Awards halves the viewership. Problem not at the Oscars, with the general public 

Thank you 

Archived