And the Oscar goes to... [2021]

TheLastWolf

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

Is this what you mean by a Heart of Ice, sir!!?? 

Hide contents

Gender and racial inequality being compensated for at the Academy Awards halves the viewership. Problem not at the Oscars, with the general public 

Thank you 

Eh? I meant that the movies nominated this year won’t have been heard of by most people, mainly due to most major releases being pushed cos of Covid. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Eh? I meant that the movies nominated this year won’t have been heard of by most people, mainly due to most major releases being pushed cos of Covid. 

I was listening to the Kermode on Film podcast and his co-host -- who isn't a professional critic and doesn't get to see private screenings -- lamented that a number of the films hadn't opened yet in the UK. One of the best picture films for sure hadn't.

Here in Sweden I don't think Promising Young Woman had opened.

16 minutes ago, Ran said:

I was listening to the Kermode on Film podcast and his co-host -- who isn't a professional critic and doesn't get to see private screenings -- lamented that a number of the films hadn't opened yet in the UK. One of the best picture films for sure hadn't.

Here in Sweden I don't think Promising Young Woman had opened.

In the UK I think Trial of Chicago 7 and Sound of Metal can be found on Netflix and Amazon Prime retrospectively, but it's quite hard to find any of the other movies that were nominated.

I think Promising Young Women just landed on Amazon. But if I didn't follow movie podcasts I'd never have heard of it.

On 4/26/2021 at 3:31 AM, Aemon Stark said:

Watching this now. It's weird, kinda like going to an awards banquet but with commercials. Given the general staleness of most of the recents Oscar shows, this actually seems kinda fresh and different???

I missed the beginning - probably won't make it to the end as it's already 10:43 pm here. I am finding it difficult to figure out who the actual nominees are when they pan to different tables, though. 

So far Mank hasn't seemed to have won anything. I really couldn't get into it, even though the period detail was remarkable. Watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 last week, and while it was certainly good, I had a lot more fun re-watching My Cousin Vinny for the first time in 10-15 years later that night. We watched Nomadland last night too - it was an interesting, introspective, melancholic. I liked it, and I really do appreciate the quiet and spare detail. Not sure it's best picture material, but then neither was The Artist or Green Book. And Chloe Zhao's direction had a fairly, I guess, "standard" naturalistic/documentary style that's not all that special at this point, even while her use of "real" nomads and non-professional actors lended more authenticity. 

And Soul just won best animated film - probably better than the actual BP nominees!

I watched Promising Young Woman last night -and  now that's a movie that deserves a Best Director win. Definitely couldn't be described as standard style or not special.

56 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

I watched Promising Young Woman last night -and  now that's a movie that deserves a Best Director win. Definitely couldn't be described as standard style or not special.

I don’t know if you should give an award to someone for being pregnant but given she made the movie being 7 months preggers should give her extra credit.

Its one of the only oscar movies I’ve seen and so I’d give it best picture. Not sure it’s that flashy though, it has some nice memorable shots, though think it over relies on sound track to give off a style. Dunno if I’d give it best director nod.

28 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I don’t know if you should give an award to someone for being pregnant but given she made the movie being 7 months preggers should give her extra credit.

Its one of the only oscar movies I’ve seen and so I’d give it best picture. Not sure it’s that flashy though, it has some nice memorable shots, though think it over relies on sound track to give off a style. Dunno if I’d give it best director nod.

I don't think it overrelies, I think it relies just right and extremely well.

The music - sundtrack and/or score - is an integral part of the film language, same as the visuals, the dialogue, performances. I don't see why using songs iwould be considered a minus rather than a plus. 

Just now, Annara Snow said:

I don't think it overrelies, I think it relies just right and extremely well.

The music - sundtrack and/or score - is an integral part of the film language, same as the visuals, the dialogue, performances. I don't see why using songs iwould be considered a minus rather than a plus. 

I really liked the soundtrack, I think it’s great. I do think it’s an easy thing for directors to do though, put a cool song ( usually a modern cover of a classic tune ) on top of a cool slow mo shot and suddenly you have art. I’m less impressed by it these days because it’s such a common technique 

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I really liked the soundtrack, I think it’s great. I do think it’s an easy thing for directors to do though, put a cool song ( usually a modern cover of a classic tune ) on top of a cool slow mo shot and suddenly you have art. I’m less impressed by it these days because it’s such a common technique 

Which technique is not common?

Score, a song, or no music at all for a 'realistic' feel, it's all been done.

The art is in doing it the right way.

Some directors put way too obvious songs at obvious moments where you kind of roll your eyes. Or sometimes, the use of a song is jarring. The art is in picking the right songs and doing it in a way that's meaningful to the story being told. This soundtrack not only gave it a specific atmosphere but often served as a sarcastic commentary.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Never mind my eccentricities 

9 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I agree, although I'm also partial to Minari. Both were better than Nomad Land, but you can't beat a good gimmick.

The only thing I can give him credit for is being correct that the ratings were an absolute disaster. "First time the ratings have been under 10 million" doesn't really reflect that last year's 23.6 million was at the time the lowest ever. It's  a huge drop off. However, I'd guess it was mostly due to the pandemic's effect on movie-viewing and movie releases. People aren't seeing films as special occasions, where everyone goes out to see them at approximately a similar time -- now it's either streaming from home with little sense of urgency when you feel like it or communal experience, or maybe catching it in a theater when they reopen and probably at odd hours or days or weeks after the premiere to avoid crowds.

24 minutes ago, Ran said:

The only thing I can give him credit for is being correct that the ratings were an absolute disaster. 

The few pre-awards podcasts I listened to that touched on it all expected it to be the worst rated night ever by a large margin. The factors contributing to that are extensive, but not surprising. So, not exactly a bold take, especially when it's made retrospectively. 

42 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The few pre-awards podcasts I listened to that touched on it all expected it to be the worst rated night ever by a large margin. The factors contributing to that are extensive, but not surprising. So, not exactly a bold take, especially when it's made retrospectively. 

Half of Trumps presidency was spent calling out "low ratings failures", whether it was true or not. His brain is disintegrating and anything can come out of his mouth at any time. He's bound to be right once in a while.

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

My, that's bold.

I prefer to feel the grass between my toes. Try to blame me.

Thank you. Plus I tok love to feel the grass and earth, fresh and wet, betwixt my toes only when I can escape the confines of this urban hamster wheel 

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Half of Trumps presidency was spent calling out "low ratings failures", whether it was true or not. His brain is disintegrating and anything can come out of his mouth at any time. He's bound to be right once in a while.

Isn't it ironic now that he gets no ratings at all, hence why he had to release a pathetic memo.

I used to be an award show junkie.  I would take the night off work to watch The Academy Awards.  My co-workers thought I was crazy.  I absolutely loved that show. 

This year, I didn't even know it was on until I saw this thread.  I haven't seen any of the nominees though hopefully I will watch them at some point.

Haven't seen Da Five Bloods yet but as a big Delroy Lindo fan I offer full support to all those saying he was snubbed.

Anthony Hopkins has never really done anything for me.  I liked him in Lambs, of course, but most other things are just...alright.  I'm the same with Spacey.  Anyway, I congratulate Hopkins on his win.    

I didn't even watch the ceremony itself (haven't for years, it bores me), just read who won

But it seems like a lot of people thought the ceremony was terribly organized this year. This article slams it, and it sure sounds bad: https://medium.com/rants-and-raves/the-93rd-academy-awards-inspired-winners-cant-save-an-uninspired-show-b64dc686b95d

Archived