How I Met Your Father coming to Hulu

Rhom

How I Met Your Father starring Hillary Duff coming to Hulu.

Dammit... I hate when stuff I want goes to channels I don't have!  Anyways, they call it a "sequel" series in the article but also note that they are uncertain how it will tie together with HIMYM.  Throw in a Barney cameo here and there and I think the majority of the audience will be happy.

18 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Dammit... I hate when stuff I want goes to channels I don't have!  Anyways, they call it a "sequel" series in the article but also note that they are uncertain how it will tie together with HIMYM.  Throw in a Barney cameo here and there and I think the majority of the audience will be happy.

It needs to be connected to the original show.  How I met your dad failed to get a whole season because it was only the concept that was like HIMYM.

Although this seems like a really bad idea. Ted was an unlikable man whore throughout the entire show. Do we really want to see a woman do the same thing?

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Huh, From the article it sounds like the original creators are only tangentially involved in the project and it doesn't have any connection to HIMYM except for the same framing device. Unless it gets good reviews I don't really have any interest.

1 hour ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Ted was an unlikable man whore throughout the entire show. Do we really want to see a woman do the same thing?

I liked Ted. He had his flaws, of course, but a flawless character is not interesting. I don't see how having multiple girlfriends on the path of looking for true love is something that should be frown upon on the 21st century. And I wouldn't care at all to see a woman do the same thing.

I'll wait for more info.  I'm a hard-core HIMYM fan who believes they botched the finale in so many ways.  I showed the announcement to Mrs. Jax and she said she was inboard until she read Hillary Duff was attached... :P

51 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'll wait for more info.  I'm a hard-core HIMYM fan who believes they botched the finale in so many ways.  I showed the announcement to Mrs. Jax and she said she was inboard until she read Hillary Duff was attached... :P

Listen man, your fan theory that the mother was actually an alien was cool and all, but the writers just couldn't make it work. 

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Listen man, your fan theory that the mother was actually an alien was cool and all, but the writers just couldn't make it work. 

If only it were that easy!

Jokes aside, this is still one of my all time favorite shows...I just do not watch the last 30 minutes or so of it...the finale is an abject failure on too many levels.  It makes the Lost or BSG finales palatable...

4 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I liked Ted. He had his flaws, of course, but a flawless character is not interesting. I don't see how having multiple girlfriends on the path of looking for true love is something that should be frown upon on the 21st century. And I wouldn't care at all to see a woman do the same thing.

It's not that he was flawed, IMO. It's that he was far and away the least likable, and most boring to watch, character out of all the main characters. A show just about Marshall, Lily, Barney, and Robin living life and having adventures would've been better; and I say this as someone who really liked the first 7-ish seasons of the show.

Not a great sign that he's basically not in the single most memorable (to me) episode of the show, Bad News.

9 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Jokes aside, this is still one of my all time favorite shows...I just do not watch the last 30 minutes or so of it...the finale is an abject failure on too many levels.  It makes the Lost or BSG finales palatable...

I actually liked the ending, but maybe that's just confirmation bias because I assumed it would end that way. The show was incredibly predictable. 

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It could have been good.  Killing Tracy seconds after meeting Ted was tough for the viewer even with the heavy foreshadowing of her death was poorly done.  Even worse pointing Ted back at Robin...

58 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It could have been good.  Killing Tracy seconds after meeting Ted was tough for the viewer even with the heavy foreshadowing of her death was poorly done.  Even worse pointing Ted back at Robin...

Pretty much. That final hour served to undercut everything the show stood for.  I was flabbergasted that they chose that path...

7 hours ago, Fez said:

It's not that he was flawed, IMO. It's that he was far and away the least likable, and most boring to watch, character out of all the main characters. A show just about Marshall, Lily, Barney, and Robin living life and having adventures would've been better; and I say this as someone who really liked the first 7-ish seasons of the show.

Not a great sign that he's basically not in the single most memorable (to me) episode of the show, Bad News.

Exactly. And he constantly went for the wrong woman and when he found a good one that wouldn't last more than one episode he would reject her for the slightest flaw. Much like characters in other shows, e.g. JD in Scrubs, he was obsessed with the idea of the perfect woman.

The best two were Tracey (by miles) and Victoria, until they copied the Emily and Ross story from Friends and ruined her character.

Oh yes. Barney leading a group of guys just like he used to be would be super entertaining.

5 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Pretty much. That final hour served to undercut everything the show stood for.  I was flabbergasted that they chose that path...

That was awful. Just because they filmed the kids reacting in season 1 or 2, that did not mean they had to use it.

Ted going back to Robin and killing Tracey off to make it happen ruined everything. Much like Game of Thrones, I find it very hard to watch old episodes knowing where it ends. The only truly outstanding part of that finale was seeing Barney finally mature. Him meeting the girl he truly will love forever was perfect. 

2 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

That was awful. Just because they filmed the kids reacting in season 1 or 2, that did not mean they had to use it.

Ted going back to Robin and killing Tracey off to make it happen ruined everything. Much like Game of Thrones, I find it very hard to watch old episodes knowing where it ends. The only truly outstanding part of that finale was seeing Barney finally mature. Him meeting the girl he truly will love forever was perfect. 

Killing off Tracy wasn’t the problem.  Bittersweet works.  Bittersweet is always more genuine than happily ever after.  There was heavy foreshadowing that Ted was telling this story, by himself, because Tracy had already died.   

Showing their lovely “meet cute”, immediately killing Tracy, and then throwing Ted right back into Robin’s arms (after three or four seasons of explaining why Ted/Robin didn’t work and Barney/Robin was the real match) seconds later from the viewers perspective was the mistake in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Disagree here.  I can re-watch most all of the show over and over...minus the final hour.  Parts of season 6 are shaky, mostly because I have an irrational disdain for Jennifer Morrison.  And yes, despite getting longer in the tooth in seven, eight, and nine, there is some solid stuff there, though the fact that the creators had to struggle with the fans wanting Barney and Robin together, knowing they were going to absolutely wreck that by the end is tough. I also enjoy the framing device of season 9, even if it isn’t completely perfect. 

One of the ways this show excelled was in its over arching continuity.  They were, mostly, pretty good with it and it shows. 

How a new version does this?  It'll be interesting to see.  

6 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Disagree here.  I can re-watch most all of the show over and over...minus the final hour.  Parts of season 6 are shaky, mostly because I have an irrational disdain for Jennifer Morrison.  And yes, despite getting longer in the tooth in seven, eight, and nine, there is some solid stuff there, though the fact that the creators had to struggle with the fans wanting Barney and Robin together, knowing they were going to absolutely wreck that by the end is tough. I also enjoy the framing device of season 9, even if it isn’t completely perfect. 

One of the ways this show excelled was in its over arching continuity.  They were, mostly, pretty good with it and it shows. 

How a new version does this?  It'll be interesting to see.  

Slap bet.  Robin Sparkles.  :)

Starting from the premise of telling the story of meeting the mother was clearly a story about fate vs free will.  Everything single episode was infused with that theme.  The finale just said it was all fate, fate, fate.

I'll maintain the best ending would be how free will defied fate in the situation around Robin's inability to have children.  Tracy volunteering to be a surrogate Mother for Robin and Barney would be been perfect for that, it justified ALL the various twists and turns of the whole show, and would explain why the Mother wasn't there because she was in an epic 104 hour birthing labour for her children's not-sibling. 

The purpose of the story then would be to explain to the kids who exactly this new baby was going to be to them, how all the different pieces of the story came together for that, and why Robin and Barney mattered so much to Ted -- and why Tracy chose to honour that.

Because Ted's story was about fate, Tracy's backstory should have been more about free will.   After meeting she could have told Ted, "Fate's an asshole.  I'm going to make fate my little bitch!"

Archived