How I Met Your Father coming to Hulu

Rhom

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Killing off Tracy wasn’t the problem.  Bittersweet works.  Bittersweet is always more genuine than happily ever after.  There was heavy foreshadowing that Ted was telling this story, by himself, because Tracy had already died.   

Showing their lovely “meet cute”, immediately killing Tracy, and then throwing Ted right back into Robin’s arms (after three or four seasons of explaining why Ted/Robin didn’t work and Barney/Robin was the real match) seconds later from the viewers perspective was the mistake in my opinion.

Very true. A major problem of season 9 is that so much is devoted to the wedding and only the finale covers 20 years when after the wedding could have covered a whole season.

I loved HIMYM but that ending really ruined the whole show for me. Now it's not only that when I come across it on Netflix I have no intention of playing it but I groan and skip it once I run into it on TV.

11 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Killing off Tracy wasn’t the problem.  Bittersweet works.  Bittersweet is always more genuine than happily ever after.  There was heavy foreshadowing that Ted was telling this story, by himself, because Tracy had already died.   

Showing their lovely “meet cute”, immediately killing Tracy, and then throwing Ted right back into Robin’s arms (after three or four seasons of explaining why Ted/Robin didn’t work and Barney/Robin was the real match) seconds later from the viewers perspective was the mistake in my opinion.

Agreed. It could (and should) have been dealt with better, but it isn't a deal breaker.

The huge problem was forcing Ted and Robin. It's a relationship that we had already seen that did not work, with no chemistry, with no purpose. It paled when compared to what Tracy and Ted had. And forced the writers to break up Robin and Barney, reverting all the character development of the later. Awfully conceived.

12 hours ago, Fez said:

It's not that he was flawed, IMO. It's that he was far and away the least likable, and most boring to watch, character out of all the main characters. A show just about Marshall, Lily, Barney, and Robin living life and having adventures would've been better; and I say this as someone who really liked the first 7-ish seasons of the show.

It's a matter of taste, I guess. But I'd always consider Ted as much more likeable than Lily. And in any case, if there was some "unlikable" aspects of him, I don't think those were related to the number of relationships with women he had on the course of the series, which is what Ghostlydragon seems to imply.

5 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Exactly. And he constantly went for the wrong woman and when he found a good one that wouldn't last more than one episode he would reject her for the slightest flaw.

Did he? Both Victoria, Robin (1st time) and Stella seemed like good bets at the beginning. And the reasons they were rejected were not slight flaws (Victoria moved to Germany, Robin had completely different live goals and priorities, and Stella left him at the altar). I don't see how Ted's behaviour in those instances make him "unlikable" and deem him a "whore man".

If I'm not forgetting something, that only leaves Zoey as the other long-term relationship (which admittedly, was a bad choice from the start).

45 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Just better...plus...as Ted states in the voice over, Robin, Stella, they had to be convinced to fall in love, that isn't the case with the mother.  The alternate (and better) ending is the perfect closing argument for the entire show.  

I do like it.

I mostly liked the Dead Mother ending as well, but felt like it didn't need to be cheapened by getting together with Robin afterwards.  As said above, bittersweet is okay.

10 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

It's a matter of taste, I guess. But I'd always consider Ted as much more likeable than Lily. And in any case, if there was some "unlikable" aspects of him, I don't think those were related to the number of relationships with women he had on the course of the series, which is what Ghostlydragon seems to imply.

Lily certainly had some likability issues too at times. But even when she was being selfish, or conniving, she was still an interesting character to watch.

Same goes for Barney. It helps that Neil Patrick Harris is a charisma machine. But there were certainly times that Barney still crossed the line and the viewer is supposed to root against him, but I was never annoyed that he was on screen. I can't say the same for Ted.

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

Same goes for Barney. It helps that Neil Patrick Harris is a charisma machine. But there were certainly times that Barney still crossed the line and the viewer is supposed to root against him, but I was never annoyed that he was on screen. I can't say the same for Ted.

Recently read a theory that posited that Barney was likely not nearly as much of a womanizing bastard that he seemed at times...that because it was Ted telling the story, he tended to emphasize the negative about Barney because he was trying to ensure his children's acceptance of Future Ted going back after Robin...

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

I do like it.

I mostly liked the Dead Mother ending as well, but felt like it didn't need to be cheapened by getting together with Robin afterwards.  As said above, bittersweet is okay.

Why does that have to cheapen it? The micro interactions of the show are each individual episode and how they build upon one another. The macro aspect of the story is wrapped up by the revelation that the mother is dead and the children telling Ted that it's okay to move on. Even if it's with Robin as a bit of fan service, I'm not sure how else you exactly complete that last arc.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why does that have to cheapen it? The micro interactions of the show are each individual episode and how they build upon one another. The macro aspect of the story is wrapped up by the revelation that the mother is dead and the children telling Ted that it's okay to move on. Even if it's with Robin as a bit of fan service, I'm not sure how else you exactly complete that last arc.

Exactly how the alternate ending goes... that's how you end.  There was no fan service in having Ted run back to Robin.  I don't know anyone who wanted that. 

I get the idea of telling the story of him the mother was met as a result of her dying...but taking the story back to Robin? Total fail.  A step to far. 

Besides, Robin and Barney deserved to work. 

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Who says it didn't even though it only lasted three years? I found that plot point to be a very touching end to that arc.

That it didn't after everything they went through to get there? Yeah. Everything about the end of their marriage and Barney's subsequent fatherhood?  It all rang hollow. Particularly as it became evident it was only to ensure Robin was essentially a single spinster when older Ted re-re-re-returned...

It was 2030 when he tells the story... pretty sure Tracy hadn't been dead 10 years... in fact, knowing Ted, he probably started telling the kids the story the same evening they buried their mother... that's how badly the creators wanted Yes and Robin, damn them...

I was under the impression the Mother had been dead for a few years, and that she died some time around 2025/2026.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:37 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

An interesting thesis...but one I reject...

The last 60 minutes or so of the show that was broadcast was a msitake.

What I find totally crazy is that it assumes that the mother dying and Ted moving on is "rejection of The One theory". It could've been that, had Ted not gone straight for the actual genuine One in his life, which is Robin and not the Mother, as years of HIMYM made clear, and as Ted actually acknowledged just a few episodes before the end ("For me, there's no top 5, there's only 1, and it's Robin"). Ok, I'm going a bit far, but at the very least, it's obvious that there are 2 women who are at the absolute top, with equal standing (once Ted has actually been married for real, until then, even if the show doesn't show or tell us anything, I'd defend to death my opinion that the Mother still hasn't reached a status as elevated as Robin's), and once Tracy dies, it's back to "Robin is The One and no other woman matters". This is what's nuts and silly with the ending: Ted has basically learned nothing, and the scripwriters couldn't even be arsed to read and understand what they've just written a few weeks earlier. Frankly, this would've been less ludicrous as the ending after just 1, or 3 seasons at most.

Archived