Jump to content
Leonardo

(Tywin) for real though, like he never smiled?

Recommended Posts

Can you imagine just how insane that would make a person? I think I could ascribe jolly to my personality and smile frequently. Maybe not big teeth wide photo smile because I'm a bit conscious of mine, but...

 

like this dude never laughed? And went years without smiling?

That has to bring its own damage. The same goes for Stannis. You'd be completely out of touch with everyone. At least we see Stannis laugh twice ffs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Can you imagine just how insane that would make a person? I think I could ascribe jolly to my personality and smile frequently. Maybe not big teeth wide photo smile because I'm a bit conscious of mine, but...

 

like this dude never laughed? And went years without smiling?

That has to bring its own damage. The same goes for Stannis. You'd be completely out of touch with everyone. At least we see Stannis laugh twice ffs

Fair warning, we don’t discuss the abomination here. Those posts get moved elsewhere by admin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm from New England, with English-German ancestry. Hardly anyone in my family smiled, especially the above-60s. That's just the way we are.

Tywin thought laughter was at his expense, a legacy from the laughter directed at his father. So smiling wasn't his thing, nor did he see much humor in the world.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Fair warning, we don’t discuss the abomination here. Those posts get moved elsewhere by admin

But he was talking about the books. We do see Stannis laugh in the books, whereas Tywin never smiles.

9 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Can you imagine just how insane that would make a person? I think I could ascribe jolly to my personality and smile frequently. Maybe not big teeth wide photo smile because I'm a bit conscious of mine, but...

 

like this dude never laughed? And went years without smiling?

That has to bring its own damage. The same goes for Stannis. You'd be completely out of touch with everyone. At least we see Stannis laugh twice ffs

Tywin is said to have smiled twice. Once when Ellyn Tarbeck and her young son were crushed to death, and once when Cersei and Jaime were born. Readers can decide for themselves whether this signals a healthy mindset. Measter Pycelle claims Johanna made Tywin laugh once, but it's Pycelle, so take that for what it's worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

we don’t discuss the abomination here

The abomination? You mean the show?

 

4 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

Tywin is said to have smiled twice. Once when Ellyn Tarbeck and her young son were crushed to death, and once when Cersei and Jaime were born. Readers can decide for themselves whether this signals a healthy mindset. Measter Pycelle claims Johanna made Tywin laugh once, but it's Pycelle, so take that for what it's worth.

Considering what we know of Tywin's relationship with Johanna, I'm willing to believe Pycelle on this occasion.

 

3 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

Tywin thought laughter was at his expense, a legacy from the laughter directed at his father. So smiling wasn't his thing, nor did he see much humor in the world.

 

Yep, you can't exactly blame him for not liking laughter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

His persona is a direct antithesis of his father, who he despised, so he must have his joys and laughters when a children, but he started molding his persona and had a deep believe as a young adult the most important thing for him was to be always taken seriously, i'm sure he has more humor that he shows, not by much tough, he just fell in love with being TYWIN the "not his father's son", then his newly born mishaped son becomes the new danger to this perfect image and persona of him (amazingly written this transfer of blame). 

Edited by Chancho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

But he was talking about the books. We do see Stannis laugh in the books, whereas Tywin never smiles.

 

Apologies. My mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...