House of the Dragon in Cornwall, Heraldic Confusion Ensues

Westeros

Although we’re not generally planning to track details of filming of HBO’s House of the Dragon, a recent report from Cornwall Live caught our attention for a couple of reasons. One, we did not know that the famous Mont-Saint-Michel has a Cornish cousin in St. Michael’s Mount (apparently in close vicinity to Penzance harbor, of The Pirates of Penzance fame!) Secondly, and more to the point, one of the photos revealed what appears to be the show’s version of the heraldic arms of House Velaryon… and they don’t fit what George R. R. Martin confirmed to us over 20 years ago.

Click for full-sized image

read on >>>

View the full article

On 4/29/2021 at 7:00 PM, The Dragon Demands said:

Should we write a letter or something?  Same thing happened with four-legged dragons on the Game of Thrones pilot.

Difference being that this time I'm 100% sure it was intentional.

They thought that a "mythical" horse looked more badass and even more Valyrian, while the tiny seahorse look too bland and cute.

I disagree of course, 'cause I love that the Velaryon have an actually cute sigil, but still, I can understand the choice :)

Look I understand if they want it to be "recognizable at a glance" - I was annoyed that the Stark direwolf was usually represented as a head, not a full animal....but I realize that the full animal might be confused with a lion in footage of a chaotic battlefield in motion or something. They wanted recognizable silhouettes, that is a concern in a visual medium. I just wish they'd be open about it.

• 2 months later...

@Ran

I'm going through my notes about how many prequel pitches Martin says he gave to HBO.  I have a note that in "October 2018" (which might be in error) Martin said he actually suggested "two other" prequel ideas to HBO that they rejected out of hand, so they weren't among the initial five pitches.

Can anyone find this as a specific citation? I can't find the link in my notes.  Trying to sort out all of his comments about how many pitches he submitted.

All I could find was his blog post from May 2017 saying that he originally submitted two pitches in 2016...one of which was among the five pitches in 2018, but also a sixth which they rejected out of hand:

https://grrm.livejournal.com/536859.html

I can swear that at some later point he said "I submitted two more ideas which they rejected out of hand"

Archived