Football: The Giggs up!

AncalagonTheBlack

I don't think they are angling for the managerial appointments. I think one of them is angling for a Sporting Director, Director of Football position. Basically running/supervising the footballing site of Arsenal. One of them could hope to succeed Mertesacker as head of the academy or something.

In other news. Bayern have approached Nagelsmann, and he has asked Leipzig's permission to leave. @polishgenius remember how you said, Abramovich would ask a very hefty price if they were going for Tuchel? Leipzig's asking for 25m € for Nagelsmann (according to the kicker). So you think Abramovich would've demanded more?

Quite amusing how the fees for headcoaches/managers have developed the last couple of months.

Dortmund have to pay Gladbach for Rose 5m (release clause)

Gladbach are paying 7.5m for Hütter (release clause)

Leipzig want 25m for Nagelsmann (no clause).

13 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Think Vieira has interviewed twice for the Arsenal job already, shouldn’t get close to getting the job. Didn’t Henry do a crappy job in his one role as a manager?

Doesnt mean they would put themselves forward but you could see it happening if Arteta got the sack, which he might do if results don’t improve and the media’s blinkers come off about him 

Vieira is just a very poor manager. Not even remotely qualified to take the Arsenal job.

Henry was strong favourite for the Bournemouth job, until Bournemouth actually sat down and spoke with him.

James Richardson once labelled him 'The Great Communicator' shortly after he was quietly dropped by Sky as a pundit. The bloke cannot string two coherent sentences together. Terrible pundit, and as his record shows, an even worse manager.

I think it's safe to add him to the list of great players who couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery.

Would Arsenal fans take Arsene Wenger back if he wanted to come back in? In hindsight, it does seem like he was getting the Arsenal squad to overperform if anything.

Would Spurs fans want Rafa at Spurs? He is not the most attacking manager, so not sure if it will be considered too similar to Jose.

Where is Allegri these days?

Bundesliga clubs are poaching managers off each other. Dortmund poached Rose from Gladbach, Gladbach poached Hütter from Frankfurt and if Bayern actually agree to pay the hefty compensation then they will be poaching Nagelsmann from Leipzig.

Any thoughts on who could replace Nagelsmann? My money is on Jesse Marsch since RB Salzburg exists to be a feeder club to RB Leipzig.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Would Arsenal fans take Arsene Wenger back if he wanted to come back in?

Where does this come from? :blink:

I haven't heard anything that would even hint at Wenger being interested to come back, let alone that the club board would even consider it.

United confirm that Bailly's contract has been extended. Was due to run out in 2022 but is now extended to June 2024 with an option for a further year.

Not sure how I feel about that. While Bailly is a good player when he is fully fit, him actually being fully fit is a rarity. It's taken him 5 seasons to reach 100 appearances in all competitions for us and most of that (39) came in his first season. For comparison Maguire already has 104 appearances and Lindelof 156 appearances.

I think this signals that it's going to be a very quiet transfer window for United. Reports that the club are also working very hard to convince Cavani to stay for one more season.

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I think this signals that it's going to be a very quiet transfer window for United. Reports that the club are also working very hard to convince Cavani to stay for one more season.

If keeping Bailly and Cavani is part of a plan to sign a DM and a RW, I'm a big fan of it. 

As for Bailly, it was reported at some point that he would see his contract extended only if he fixes his injury problems, so, who knows?

7 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Bundesliga clubs are poaching managers off each other. Dortmund poached Rose from Gladbach, Gladbach poached Hütter from Frankfurt and if Bayern actually agree to pay the hefty compensation then they will be poaching Nagelsmann from Leipzig.

Any thoughts on who could replace Nagelsmann? My money is on Jesse Marsch since RB Salzburg exists to be a feeder club to RB Leipzig.

Pretty much that. The Leipzig job has Marsch written all over it.

Also interesting. Leipzig's Sporting Director Krösche will be leaving for Frankfurt (presumably).

I mentioned it in the last thread, that there's real void at Frankfurt right now, with all the guys in charge of the footballing operation leaving post.

Hütter (manager) is taking over at Gladbach, Bobic (DoF) is leaving for Hertha Berlin, and Hübner (Sporting Director) simply wants to retire/work less.

Was about to say that. Looks like Bayern were prepared to drop the cash for Nagelsmann.

Rumour is, that they are trying to recover some of the cost by demanding a release fee from the German FA for Flick. The DFB is only lukewarm on the idea. We are a nonprofit organization and thus are more than a bit reluctant to pay a fee for a manager.

I'll just leave the nonprofit bit for others to judge, I found it mildly amusing.

There's some reports in Italy saying that it is becoming increasingly likely that Donnarumma will leave Milan on a free transfer. Apparently Maldini has also become fed up with the antics of Donnarumma, his brother and Raiola and the club will not be increasing their offer. Reportedly Milan have an agreement with Lille for Mike Maignan as his replacement for around €12m+bonuses.

I've read about Zlatan supposedly having  some financial interest in a betting company in Malta, being a part-owner or something like that and he's under UEFA investigation for that. If that turns out to be true and he could be banned from football for up to three years. Things not looking good for Milan at all. Didn't they extend his contract recently?

Dan Kilpatrick reporting that Spurs are looking at ten Hag, Rodgers and Rangnick. I think it's safe to say that they have no chance of getting Rodgers from Leicester. I don't see how Rangnick and Levy can coexist considering the level of control that Rangnick wants unless Levy has decided to step back completely from the football side of things and hand the reins over to Rangnick.

Ten Hag seems to be the most likely given that he has 1 year remaining on his contract. There were also reports that Southgate was being considered but Levy does not want to wait until after the Euros to sort out the manager situation. Spurs appointing Southgate would be hilarious. At least it might save England from wasting all that talent on Southgate though.

Some bad news for Arsenal fans. Reports that Real Madrid have no intention of listening to offers for Odegaard.

4 minutes ago, baxus said:

Didn't they extend his contract recently?

By 1 year. To the end of next season.

Archived