Football: The Giggs up!

AncalagonTheBlack

Reports that the Premier League, Sky, BT, Amazon and the relevant UK departments have reached an agreement in principle over the renewal of domestic broadcasting rights and is just awaiting final sign-off from senior government officials. It's a 3 season deal running from 2022-2023 to 2024-2025 and will be on the same terms as the existing agreements:

Sky £1.193 billion per season for the rights to 128 matches.

BT £325m per season for 52 matches.

Amazon £20-30m per season for 20 matches.

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Reports that the Premier League, Sky, BT, Amazon and the relevant UK departments have reached an agreement in principle over the renewal of domestic broadcasting rights and is just awaiting final sign-off from senior government officials. It's a 3 season deal running from 2022-2023 to 2024-2025 and will be on the same terms as the existing agreements:

Sky £1.193 billion per season for the rights to 128 matches.

BT £325m per season for 52 matches.

Amazon £20-30m per season for 20 matches.

You’d hope that the government would step in here, and say ‘ you know what, having matches split amongst providers is not lowering prices and actually means viewers pay more for the same product’

Im really not a fan of this model, even if it does mean that I get a few matches on Amazon , plus their software is ok.

But should we not go back to one provider having the rights to everything. Would be so much eaiser.

23 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

You’d hope that the government would step in here, and say ‘ you know what, having matches split amongst providers is not lowering prices and actually means viewers pay more for the same product’

Im really not a fan of this model, even if it does mean that I get a few matches on Amazon , plus their software is ok.

But should we not go back to one provider having the rights to everything. Would be so much eaiser.

True. These broadcasters don't really care about the consumer. Sky and BT joined forces and agreed to channel sharing in order to force down the price of the domestic broadcasting deal for them - they successfully forced the total value of the rights down by around 10% iirc.

Chelsea all over Real Madrid. Should be more than one goal up. This 3 at the back is not working at all for RM.

ETA. of course Real equalise just after I post this. Lucky to be level. Their backline looks all at sea though and Chelsea are getting into dangerous positions with relative ease.

In other news.

Kicker reports that there are three potential successors for Nagelsmann at Leipzig.

Marsch (RB Salzburg) is the clear frontrunner.

Roger Schmidt (PSV) and Bo Svensson (Mainz) are the alternatives.

Given the alternatives, it will most certainly be Marsch. Svensson is looking good and has more or less saved Mainz from relegation since he took over, but I assume bigger clubs would want to see a bit more of him at that level first. Schmidt has the pedigree, but he has a rep to be sort of a dick from his Leverkusen days. It's possible he has worked on those issues, but I assume unless he wins something with PSV he won't really be a frontrunner for a top job in Germany.

On 4/26/2021 at 9:29 PM, Spockydog said:

Is this a serious question?

On 4/26/2021 at 11:05 PM, baxus said:

Where does this come from? :blink:

I haven't heard anything that would even hint at Wenger being interested to come back, let alone that the club board would even consider it.

Just a hypothetical. Not sure if Arsenal fans are still angry towards Wenger considering how things went since his departure. It seems like he managed to extract much more out of his squad compared to Arteta and Emery. At the time he seemed to be the scapegoat for all of Arsenal's woes, but in hindsight it looks like that might not be the case. Just curious if hindsight has softened their stance.

Looking at the EPL run-in and the champions league places. 

A huge key is Leicester's next two games, win against Southampton and Newcastle and they all but assure themselves champions league footy.  Win those, and it would mean to be knocked out one of Everton/West Ham/Liverpool would have to win all 5 games, Leicester doesn't pick up a point from their final 3 games (which are hard) and Chelsea keeps going.  So next two weeks critical for Foxes fans. 

Chelsea is really interesting. 3 point gap on West Ham (6 on Everton who have a game in hand, 4 on Liverpool), but play Leicester, Arsenal, Man City in the run-in and have Champions League footy to worry about.  Whereas West Ham's toughest opponent is Everton.  Easy to see West Ham pick up 12 points, so Chelsea need 3 wins.  Should get it, but go close.  Boy that red-card could be critical to that result.  Switch the game to a draw, and West Ham would probably be favourites.  

Liverpool also have a good run in (only Man U as major opponents), but it assumes they stop stuffing up.  Everton have 6 games, and apart from the West Ham match also have Man City.  But if they need to win 5 of the rest, seems unlikely.   

So Leicester can all but seal it with wins in the next two, and maybe pave a way for West Ham if they can beat Chelsea.  I'm definitely barracking for the two underdogs to get those spots.  

Yeah I've given up on top four this season for Liverpool. I just don't see us picking up all available points, so even if the other teams slip up I don't think we will be a in a place to benefit. The front three needs to be quarantined, they've managed to infect Jota with their crap conversion rate.....

56 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Yeah I've given up on top four this season for Liverpool. I just don't see us picking up all available points, so even if the other teams slip up I don't think we will be a in a place to benefit. The front three needs to be quarantined, they've managed to infect Jota with their crap conversion rate.....

Liverpool has easier games than Chelsea, on paper, though it's possible West Ham will win all their games and keep Liverpool below them. After all this effort, I wouldn't mind seeing West Ham get a European slot.

9 hours ago, ants said:

A huge key is Leicester's next two games, win against Southampton and Newcastle and they all but assure themselves champions league footy.  Win those, and it would mean to be knocked out one of Everton/West Ham/Liverpool would have to win all 5 games, Leicester doesn't pick up a point from their final 3 games (which are hard) and Chelsea keeps going.  So next two weeks critical for Foxes fans.

I'm confident that Leicester will finish in the top 4. They are better and much more resilient this season than they were last season. Last season they fell apart when they were hit with injuries but the same has not happened this season even though they've had to deal with a lot of injuries in addition to having midweek games in the EL.

Meanwhile. As expected Leipzig have reached an agreement with Marsch. They are negotiating with Salzburg about the fee.

As for the EPL top four finish. Chelsky will finish top four. They are really solid and consistent in their games. If their offense were a bit more productive/efficient, there wouldn't even be a discussion. Liverpool will miss out on CL football next year. I've said it before, the team they'd need to catch are Leicester, and that doesn't look particularly likely now. If they had been able to win their games against Leeds and Newcastle, they'd be very much in the race. But their forwards look even more inept than Chelsea's. The difference is, Chelsea are atm able to see games out without too many problems.

15 hours ago, ljkeane said:

The wheels have really come off for PSG in the second half. I thought they were on the way to a comfortable win in the first 45.

I thought they looked great first half, some of the movement on and off the ball was spectacular,  and City were mostly getting nowhere, and noticeably didn't have a striker. 
So bit surprised when it all fell apart for them.

Can't say I care, hard to like either team

Archived