Football: The Giggs up!

AncalagonTheBlack

I think Roma could be a good place for Mourinho to resurrect his career. Either that or it will show once and for all that the game has passed him by. He will not be under any pressure to compete for the league title and I don't think a top 4 finish will be expected as an absolute must in his 1st season at least. Italian football could suit him - the game is generally played at a lesser tempo and intensity and most teams other than Inter and Atalanta do not press aggressively. The big question mark is that the Roma squad has quite a bit of deadwood and is in need of a rebuild and given recent history, Mourinho doesn't seem like the best option to spearhead a rebuild.

42 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Are the fans delighted ?!

Don't know about the fans but the owners must be happy. Roma's stock price has gone up 26% since the announcement. 

22 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

isn’t the Serie A is less intense narrative kinda outdated these days. Idk whenever I watch games last few years they tend to be more high scoring than in England 

Intensity has got nothing to do with goals scored. Idk, when I watch Serie A, it seems rather clear that the game is played at a slower pace with less aggressive pressing aside from Inter and Atalanta. 

I find it amusing that Roma’s squad is similarly full of Premier League outcasts, like Inter’s, but Inter won the league. They are so similar in some ways, and yet not always easy to see who got the better deal 

So for Ashley Young, see Chris Smalling, Alexis Sanchez see Mkhitaryan, Lukaku see Erik Dzeko.

34 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

It is slower. Roma are shambles though. 

The mental gymnastics right now for his apologists disguised as "supporters" of clubs wherever he goes...lol. 

It's baffling to me that of all managers Jose is the one who gained a travelling fanclub.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Why does this guy keep getting chances? I know he’s had some successes, but he has a serious track record of flaming out quickly and it always ends messily.

Partly because of the share price thing Consigliere pointed out - he brings attention - and partly because to be fair before Spurs he had won at least one trophy at every club.

But he's quite clearly getting worse by the job.

47 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I find it amusing that Roma’s squad is similarly full of Premier League outcasts, like Inter’s, but Inter won the league. They are so similar in some ways, and yet not always easy to see who got the better deal 

So for Ashley Young, see Chris Smalling, Alexis Sanchez see Mkhitaryan, Lukaku see Erik Dzeko.

The Premier league outcasts at Inter played very little of a role in Inter's title win apart from Lukaku and I wouldn't classify him as an outcast. United and Solskjaer didn't want Lukaku to leave but he basically forced a move to Inter. Eriksen was a bit part player until the latter part of the season where he did play well in fairness. 

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I’m also interested in why he keeps jumping back into work when he could really do with some time off, some therapy sessions and space to answer some big questions about his personality and life choices 

For that to happen, Mourinho would have to acknowledge to himself that he is doing something wrong. But it seems clear that all of his deflecting of blame is not a stunt to take pressure off of himself; he really believes that he does nothing wrong and it's everyone else's fault. 

A month or so ago a journalist asked Mourinho that holding onto leads used to be one of his big strengths and what's changed. He replied "same coach, different players." That says it all really. 

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Intensity has got nothing to do with goals scored. Idk, when I watch Serie A, it seems rather clear that the game is played at a slower pace with less aggressive pressing aside from Inter and Atalanta. 

Fair enough it just doesn’t feel much slower to me anymore. I mean Lazio/Napoli the other week was probably the most entertaining footy game I’ve watched this season and it wasn’t slow at all. Maybe the bottom half of the table teams are much slower paced than in England though idk. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Partly because of the share price thing Consigliere pointed out - he brings attention - and partly because to be fair before Spurs he had won at least one trophy at every club..

I’m not saying he would have won. But kinda funny he got sacked before having a chance to win the league cup for spurs 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Partly because of the share price thing Consigliere pointed out - he brings attention - and partly because to be fair before Spurs he had won at least one trophy at every club.

Is this unique to Serie A (which I know next to nothing about) or is it common across European football?

But he's quite clearly getting worse by the job.

I can't say he is getting tactically worse or failing to adapt, but it's hard to conclude his reputation isn't a problem and that will affect a lot of players whether they're conscious of it or not.

Archived