Football: The Giggs up!

AncalagonTheBlack

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

Ps. Beckham wasn't all that good in the middle as his first touch was poo.

Yea that's why I imagined JWP on the right I guess, but he's sorted himself out much more in that position. I think his stats bear out that he does good work defensively (he was certainly good in that role against us earlier in the season). He's also quite dangerous on the break coz he can land a long pass pretty much anywhere if Southampton win the ball back and he gets too much space, though oddly enough it doesn't come up as often as it might coz they're not that break-heavy a team.

I like JWP, wasn't having a go at him, just at Beckham. I was just after a bit more detail of JWP.

As much as anything, I think of him as the guy who's been in and around the Southampton team for 5 or so years while you've been singing his praises, so you're the forum's go-to guy.

I mean the score one goal, see out the game thing worked well during your CL run. But that requires you to actually not concede. Right now it looks more like you will find a way to concede a late goal, then put a game out of reach with another 1-2 goals.

43 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Klopp is done. We're about 25% the quality of the players we have.

I know you're playing badly but a year ago he'd built one of the most successful sides of the modern era. This run's gonna have to go on well into next season at least before we can conclude he's done.

It's possible that this sort of burnout will always happen with Klopp teams, but surely he's earned the right to try and rebuild.

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I know you're playing badly but a year ago he'd built one of the most successful sides of the modern era. This run's gonna have to go on well into next season at least before we can conclude he's done.

It's possible that this sort of burnout will always happen with Klopp teams, but surely he's earned the right to try and rebuild.

We've been steadily getting worse since we acquired VVD. Klopp has been turning into Mourinho since then.

(Which is to say, the following six months we were at our best, and we've been getting worse ever since)

57 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

We've been steadily getting worse since we acquired VVD. Klopp has been turning into Mourinho since then.

(Which is to say, the following six months we were at our best, and we've been getting worse ever since)

Since the period you're counting as steadily getting worse includes probably the two best seasons in the history of Liverpool Football Club I can't say I'm that concerned. There is absolutely no chance we're getting a manager to replace Klopp who's anywhere close to being at his level.

I know your go to response is extreme pessimism but, come on, get a bit of perspective.

I didn't watch the game, but as I was reading Soylent Brown's comments, I was thinking Liverpool are losing another match they shouldn't lose. Then I've watched the highlights. Confused Pikachu face. 

And really, getting worse since acquiring VVD? Surely that was meant to say since he got injured, 

2 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Eh Fabinho and Alisson definitely improved the team and made us a level up on the team that lost to Madrid in Kiev 

2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Eh Fabinho and Alisson definitely improved the team and made us a level up on the team that lost to Madrid in Kiev 

Sorry, I should say that our general play has been getting worse. We were winning games a lot more comfortably in the second half of 17/18, and the whole of 18/19, than we were during our actual title winning season. Outside of maybe 4/5 games, 19/20 was just shitty performance after shitty performance, with us hanging on to win 2-1 over and over again. We were relentless and we kept doing it, but when things are left to such fine margins it doesn't take much for it all to go wrong.

So our general play has become worse, and now half of the team are horribly out of form. I've no idea what the solution to that is, but it's definitely something to be worried about.

4 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Sorry, I should say that our general play has been getting worse. We were winning games a lot more comfortably in the second half of 17/18, and the whole of 18/19, than we were during our actual title winning season. Outside of maybe 4/5 games, 19/20 was just shitty performance after shitty performance, with us hanging on to win 2-1 over and over again. We were relentless and we kept doing it, but when things are left to such fine margins it doesn't take much for it all to go wrong.

So our general play has become worse, and now half of the team are horribly out of form. I've no idea what the solution to that is, but it's definitely something to be worried about.

Are you really complaining about your form when 'you won the title'? 

Like seriously? I don't mean to be rude but you sound pathetic. 'My team won the champions league and the league title, we got about 200,000 points over 2 season, had a run where we won about 30 games in a row but I didn't like how they played'. 

Seperate note, if you fuck up a paneka you should be fined 2 weeks wages. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Seperate note, if you fuck up a paneka you should be fined 2 weeks wages. 

I quite enjoyed Aguero’s ‘oh shit’ look about halfway through the ball looping into the ‘keeper’s hands. Panenkas are always good value whatever happens.

8 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I actually agree. Thought 18/19 was our peak. Could have been invincible centurions had the crazy game at the Etihad gone the other way. 

Archived