Football: The Giggs up!

AncalagonTheBlack

:lol:

ETA.

Bruce got results but it's pretty laughable he gets manager of the month. I think it is rather clear that tactically, Bruce is clueless and plays the most turgid cowardly football. This is a bit like the Alan Pardew disaster where Newcastle look disastrous and tactically outclassed for much of a season but go through one or two purple patches carried by two or three players which saves their season. Bruce is also a massive bellend who has been antagonistic towards Newcastle fans since the beginning. He's also fucking insufferable when Newcastle win a game - the sore winner gloating that almost makes fans sad they even won.

13 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm not watching but it sounds good for the neutral. 

Heh, I watched the first five minutes thought there’s no way it was going to be any good and didn’t bother with the rest. Wrong decision obviously.

So Leicester won the first final against Chelsea, where it was about the actual cup.

Let's see, if they can do it again on tuesday, when the CL qualification is on the line. I admit, I am a bit surprised, as I had marked that one as Chelsea title already. But well done, and congratulation foxes.

Meanwhile Bundesliga is now more or less settled on most fronts.

Lewandowski now shares the record with Müller for most goals in a season.

Top four is more or less set after Frankfurt decided to gift Schalke a victory, which might put an end to the discussion of whether Schalke want to go into their promotion battle next year with Grammozis (as was the originally planned) or  replace him with somebody else.

EL starters (top six) is also set now.

The conference league starter (the competition nobody wanted or needed it) is yet to be decided. Union, Gladbach, Stuttgart and Freiburg can claim it. Union is atm occupying the seventh place and is one point ahead of Gladbach, and the teams from the South West are trailing by another point. However Union has to play Leipzig next week.

Relegation zone is once again the most interesting bit. Hertha and Augsburg are now safe, and it's down to Köln, Bremen and Bielefeld. One of those teams will accompany Schalke, and another one will have to go through the relegation play-off games.

Given the final matchday fixtures it might very well end up being Werder (vs. Gladbach) to drop directly, Bielefeld (vs. Stuttgart) slipping into the play-off spot and Köln (vs. Schalke) saving their neck at the last minute..

49 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am a bit surprised, as I had marked that one as Chelsea title already. But well done, and congratulation foxes.

Gotta ask: why? Yeah, Leicester have slipped a bit as they do towards the end of the season and Chelsea are improved under Tuchel, but nothing like enough in either direction to make it a write-off. and Leicester have been the better team for most of the season.

I only really registered the Europa Conference or whatever it is today, and I gotta say in the midst of a pandemic is a strange time to introduce a new league which will involve hundreds of teams flying around Europe, many of them with far less ability and experience of organising trips and hosting international visitors which will include the ability to properly secure a bubble. UEFA gonna UEFA I suppose.

57 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Gotta ask: why? Yeah, Leicester have slipped a bit as they do towards the end of the season and Chelsea are improved under Tuchel, but nothing like enough in either direction to make it a write-off. and Leicester have been the better team for most of the season.

Yeah, but Chelsea's squad is of a high(er) quality, and Tuchel has managed to get the horse power within that squad on the track for most parts. Esp. in the cup competitions. He eliminated Atletico and Real from the CL, and he's made it look fairly easy on top of that. He has knocked out City in the FA cup. So Tuchel and Chelsea losing back-to-back games (in the league vs. Arsenal and the FA cup final) didn't just strike me as a particularly likely scenario. Thought they'd come out itching to set the record straight and setting the tone for Tuesday. That in combination with the typical Rodgers late season burn out had made Chelsea relatively clear favorites in my book.

57 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I only really registered the Europa Conference or whatever it is today, and I gotta say in the midst of a pandemic is a strange time to introduce a new league which will involve hundreds of teams flying around Europe, many of them with far less ability and experience of organising trips and hosting international visitors which will include the ability to properly secure a bubble. UEFA gonna UEFA I suppose.

TBF, I think the plans for this competition pre-date the pandemic. And there's a fair chance of the vaccines being widely rolled out by the start of the competition. Otherwise I share Max (Kruse)'s point of view on that competition: Conference league? No idea what that is. I'd love to play in the EL, but I am not interested in the conference league. We have enough competitons right now, they've come up with another one, congratulations. Somebody can else play it.

13 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Chelsea's squad is of a high(er) quality

I'm not sure about that tbqh, and certainly not the first team. N'didi (last two seasons anyway, since we know Kante's quality), Tielemans and Vardy are better than any equivalents Chelsea have and you could make strong arguments for Fofana, Maddison and Schmeichel too. Chelsea's recruitment last summer looked great and should have put them over but none of them have really settled at all.

I just thought the result was great for Wes Morgan. They brought him on in something like the 80th minute and my first reaction was ‘I bet they lose and he scores an own goal and that’s how he will be remembered forever’ because that is how these things tend to go.

Then he did score an own goal and I felt really bad for him.

And then VAR saved him, and I felt happy for him.

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not sure about that tbqh, and certainly not the first team. N'didi (last two seasons anyway, since we know Kante's quality), Tielemans and Vardy are better than any equivalents Chelsea have and you could make strong arguments for Fofana, Maddison and Schmeichel too. Chelsea's recruitment last summer looked great and should have put them over but none of them have really settled at all.

Yeah, there's a big difference between more famous/more expensive and better. Leicesters player development and recruitment is amazing. 

Most likely it's down to fitness. He's missed more games through injury this season including a recurring hip problem that he's had since the restart last year. Almost all of his sub appearances this season have been at the start of the season when he was still getting back from the hip injury he sustained in July and then again in April/May after the hip injury sustained in Feb.

Archived