Football: The Giggs up!

AncalagonTheBlack

Our game was damn entertaining. Roma really came hard at us in the 2nd half and De Gea rolled back the years and put in a vintage performance. Roma could have had 5 or 6 goals and we created enough to have scored a goal or two more as well. 

Arsenal/Villarreal was finely balanced but dull as dirt from a neutral standpoint. 

I hope we defend better against Villarreal than we did against Roma though. 

I'd be surprised if Arsenal sack Arteta now. If he starts off poorly next season then I could see him getting sacked around November or December. Arsenal stuck with Arteta through a horrid patch of results so I doubt they will bin him now and there's no obvious upgrade available. I suppose they could go for the big name like Allegri but a big name comes with a big wage too and Allegri is more likely to want stay in Italy and put himself up for the Juve or Milan jobs (one or both of which are quite likely to become available).

ETA. thinking about it more, I'd sack Arteta and appoint Benitez. Arsenal will need a manager who can work on a budget since I doubt there will be any major spending. Rafa has already proven he can work wonders on a tight budget and he's a much better manager right now than Arteta and is a free agent.

15 hours ago, Raja said:

Clutching at straws a bit, but a season out of Europe might do us a little bit of good.

Didn't do Chelsea any harm five years ago. Finished tenth in the PL, then with no European football, won the league the following season.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

ETA. thinking about it more, I'd sack Arteta and appoint Benitez. Arsenal will need a manager who can work on a budget since I doubt there will be any major spending. Rafa has already proven he can work wonders on a tight budget and he's a much better manager right now than Arteta and is a free agent.

This is probably the only thing that would work. I doubt they do it but that's likely what I'd do. I suspect they give Arteta another year or at least part of the year.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Didn't do Chelsea any harm five years ago. Finished tenth in the PL, then with no European football, won the league the following season.

They got one of the best managers in the world for that season though. Arsenal would definitely need a manager change if they wanted to compete for top four next season imo

7 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

They got one of the best managers in the world for that season though. Arsenal would definitely need a manager change if they wanted to compete for top four next season imo

Well, Liverpool failed to qualify for European football when Klopp came in, too. So the extra training sessions without the intereference of European football worked out quite well for you.

14 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, Liverpool failed to qualify for European football when Klopp came in, too. So the extra training sessions without the intereference of European football worked out quite well for you.

Yeah I think Klopp is one of the best managers in the world. Arteta….

having no Europe for a season can be beneficial obviously but only if you’re going to at least get back into Europe. Not sure Arteta can do that 

46 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Benitez.

They’ve agreed to pay substantial fines if they try and do the same thing again in the future. Does that mean they’ve just given up? Or is there some loophole there that we don’t know about.

I find it hard to believe this is the end of it. It gives so much power and leverage to Uefa 

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

They’ve agreed to pay substantial fines if they try and do the same thing again in the future. Does that mean they’ve just given up? Or is there some loophole there that we don’t know about.

I strongly suspect they've agreed to pay the potential fine in future against the threat of a certain almost-as-big fine (or just a European ban) now, and have it in their minds that they can try to work a more unstoppable (and more palatable to the public coz the things go hand in hand) proposal in future- but in the short term, yes, they've given up. They have to. The proposal as it stood has no legs and the reaction to it proved that, so they don't lose an awful lot by publically renouncing it.

The Premier League is also going to fine the six clubs. Sam Wallace wrote an article saying that the clubs will be fined substantially by the Premier League over their attempts to break away with an announcement expected soon on the process that will see them disciplined. The fines are believed to be significant in order for them to have an effect on the six wealthiest clubs in the Premier League and to make clear the seriousness with which the other 14 shareholders and executives regard the offences. The PL is still deciding whether the fine will be payable immediately or will be deducted from future Premier League broadcast income.

I see that England has placed Turkey on the red list. Reports coming out that the UK government are in talks with UEFA to have the CL final moved to England.

Given what's happening right now it's a good job for them that Leicester are playing us two days after we play Villa and two days before Liverpool, coz I strongly suspect 'pool is gonna get the priority lineup and they're gonna get the reserves.

Archived