Law Enforcement and its abuse of power

Ser Scot A Ellison

29 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Why isn't BLM doing more to reach out to white supremacists?  How are they ever going to change hearts and minds?

It's a lot to ask, but it can work:

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/544861933/how-one-man-convinced-200-ku-klux-klan-members-to-give-up-their-robes

54 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Why isn't BLM doing more to reach out to white supremacists?  How are they ever going to change hearts and minds?

Why can’t you see the value of trying to appropriate things to further certain communal goals?

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’m not a fan of Daryl Davis. He gives an unrealistic on how blacks people can reasonably be expected to react to racism and only works on an individual level. And to what degree we don’t know. David Duke left the klan decades ago. He’s still retained his white supremacy. And he’s probably radicalized way more young white men than Davis has helped deradilized. And duke probably would have radicalized a lot more if he wasn’t treated as a social pariah.

You have to think about things on the macro level.

At times it does serve  the interests of an marginalized group to prey upon certain biases of a more dominant group to enact progressive social change.

Part of the reason Rosa Parks got pushed by civil rights groups over other black who had done the same is because she had the aesthetics to appear sympathetic to white America. She was pretty, young, and most importantly light-skinned.

Over the dark skinned black women who had protested like her and got no attention.

https://www.npr.org/2009/03/15/101719889/before-rosa-parks-there-was-claudette-colvin

Most of America still likes cops.

The demographics most like to support cops tend to also to be the less lgbt friendly. In my opinion it’s practical for the lgbt community to utilize the police in events to appeal to these segments who in turn will more receptive towards more favorable policies to the lgbt in the future.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Tomorrow is the Chauvin sentencing here in beautiful Minneapolis

This has been getting interest on UK media. What struck me on seeing a picture of Chauvin with his knee on George Floyd’s neck is that he had his hand in his pocket.

How he can possibly justify thet level of force (suggesting Floyd prssented a threat) while feelingn safe enough to have his hands in his pocket?

4 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

This has been getting interest on UK media. What struck me on seeing a picture of Chauvin with his knee on George Floyd’s neck is that he had his hand in his pocket.

How he can possibly justify thet level of force (suggesting Floyd prssented a threat) while feelingn safe enough to have his hands in his pocket?

Hand in pocket? When I was young we called that playing pocket pool. 

19 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Tomorrow is the Chauvin sentencing here in beautiful Minneapolis

He's gotten 22.5 years, with credit for 199 days time served already.

Not the maximum available, which would've been 30 years. But it is more than the sentencing guidelines recommend of about 12.5 years for a first time offender. The judge cited the cruelty of Chauvin's actions as reason to go above the recommendation.

• 2 months later...

Just finished reading a depressing article and I am shocked this is an actual legal practice:

Shortly after midnight on Jan. 11, 2019, Phoenix police pulled over a car filled with four people suspected of committing an armed robbery earlier that evening. Three seconds after one of them, Jacob Harris, hopped out and started running, officers Dave Norman and Kristopher Bertz opened fire, fatally striking him in the back.

The officers didn’t face any consequences for the shooting. Instead, prosecutors laid the blame on Harris’s three friends in the car. Even though none of them had fired a single shot, 19-year-old Sariah Busani, 20-year-old Jeremiah Triplett, and 14-year-old Johnny Reed were charged with first-degree murder. More than two years later, they remain in jail awaiting trial.

Prosecutors charged them under a legal provision unavailable in most of the country. Most states have the “felony murder” rule, which dictates that a person can be held liable if, while they are committing certain felonies, someone dies as a result of their actions or those of a coconspirator. But in at least 13 states, including Arizona, liability for deaths under the felony murder rule is extended even further: A person can be tried for the fatal actions of a third party, such as a police officer, if the death is deemed a reasonably foreseeable outcome of the crime. In Harris’s shooting, prosecutors argued that the four young adults were fleeing an armed robbery, establishing a chain of events that led to the death. Since 2010, at least 22 people nationwide have been charged with felony murder for deaths directly caused by police, according to a BuzzFeed News review. At least 13 have been convicted.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/emilywilder/police-shooting-felony-murder-third-party

The full article is worth a read. That police officers can get off in these instances and then charge people for the murders they've committed....good lord. @BigFatCoward, as a LEO in a different Western country, what do you make of this?

5 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Police in Austria used a taser to disable someone armed with a knife.

It looks like that is actually possible!

No one said it was never possible. Going to need a lot more details though before stating whether it is at all comparable to the situation that happened in Columbus back in April.

Was the person in motion or standing still?

Were they actively threatening someone or talking?

How close was the nearest bystander?

How close were the police?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/police-shoot-washington/2021/08/25/86ce8258-0582-11ec-8c3f-3526f81b233b_story.html

A D.C. police officer early Wednesday fatally shot an armed man after he was found “unresponsive” behind the wheel of a running vehicle in the travel lane of a Northeast Washington street, then awoke and pulled away from responding officers, authorities said.

Council member Janeese Lewis George (D-Ward 4) drew comparisons to last week’s arrest of a man near the Capitol who sat in a truck for hours and claimed to have a bomb. He surrendered to authorities after negotiations.

George tweeted on Wednesday: “Sitting here trying to figure out how law enforcement can successfully de-escalate a white domestic terrorist in a truck threatening to blow up the Capitol with a bomb but not a Black man who fell asleep in his car?”

Of course, a dfferent set of police responded to each incident but also, you know. 

19 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just finished reading a depressing article and I am shocked this is an actual legal practice:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/emilywilder/police-shooting-felony-murder-third-party

The full article is worth a read. That police officers can get off in these instances and then charge people for the murders they've committed....good lord. @BigFatCoward, as a LEO in a different Western country, what do you make of this?

We have something similar re 'joint enterprise' but that would be - 

You went on a robbery with someone you knew to be in possession of a knife and the person you were with used that knife and killed someone. You could have reasonably forseen that may happen. 

The above example is horseshit, there are so many breaks in causation between the action and the outcome.  I ran it past my PC's today and even they (PC's are generally a bit more aggressive for want of a better word) thought this was preposterous. 

• 2 months later...

Michigan police destroy a house by intentionally ramming it with a vehicle

"So, I gave them my card and said, ‘Call me if I need to do anything else or know anything else.’ Then at 11 o’clock that night, I watched on TV the pictures of the side of the house having been pushed in,” Apps told the TV station. “Then the next morning, the house was down.”

A warrant had been issued for Rawls after he was accused of shooting a woman five times on Nov. 1, about one week earlier, Michigan Live reported. Rawls opened fire on officers positioned around the home, according to Michigan State Police. None were hit, but one round struck near an officer taking cover in a shed, and two more hit the windshield of an occupied SWAT vehicle.

When they entered the destroyed house they found that they'd already killed the suspect with gunfire.  

Edited by 1066 Larry

Whistleblower cop being charged with 4 counts of official misconduct for sharing video footage of two police trainees abusing a handcuffed man dying of a drug overdose.  

Our justice system needs an overhaul.  Prosecutors and cops are out of control.  Dude is potentially facing 20 years.  So fucking backwards.

Esqueda told USA TODAY that he’s become a pariah among his coworkers since July 2020, when he shared with a television reporter footage from January of that year showing how officers treated a handcuffed Black man in medical distress. Officers slapped Eric Lurry, restricted his airway and shoved a baton in his mouth hours before his death. Esqueda faces up to 20 years in prison after department officials opened a criminal investigation into his actions and prosecutors charged him with four counts of official misconduct.

42 minutes ago, 1066 Larry said:

and shoved a baton in his mouth hours before his death.

So many cops seem to fetisch-obsessive with shoving varieties of sticks into people's mouths and anuses.

• 8 months later...