Law Enforcement and its abuse of power

Ser Scot A Ellison

Many of us now are at this point: if it's a twit, is it real?  (Often were Before too, but now -- particularly if, like this one, the twit falls within our general attitudes about something or someone -- Holy Cow!)

Edited by Zorral

Law Enforcement Union organizations in Minnesota have opposed new standards for hiring and retention of officers proposed by the “Peace Officer Standards and Training Board” (POST). Among their objections are that standards deeming White Supremicists worthy of termination or not being hired would violate freedom of speech and freedom of association.  They further whine that such limits would make it difficult to hire Law Enforcement officers in a tight labor market.

:shocked:

https://minnesotareformer.com/2022/11/17/law-enforcement-opposes-rules-banning-cops-from-being-involved-in-extremist-groups/?fbclid=IwAR2Dx1iJ_yLjX228-aO8MkvcYO-1RZc9qfz0GGj0kHDu7JxoUxoBt2slZyo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

As often as I have dragged law enforcement for doing it wrong I’d like to applaud Sgt. Skinner of the OKCPD for doing it right.  He refused a Police Captain’s demands for “a favor” when he pulled him over for a DUI:

Top man. 

28 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Good for Sgt. Skinner. I hope he's not made to suffer for it later when the social media attention has gone away. 

Yeah. There was a US cop beaten to death during a training exercise last year. He had whistleblown on other cops for sexually assaulting a woman. one of the cops he reported helped beat him to death.

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

• 3 weeks later...

Officer gets into back seat, behind sleeping driver of stolen car, driver wakes up and drives off, officer asks him to stop, driver refuses so he shoots him dead.

I have a number of fucking questions about this doofus's training. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/videos/us/2023/04/05/police-shooting-washington-teen-car-crash-bodycam-serfaty-cnntm-vpx.cnn

Edited by BigFatCoward

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Officer gets into back seat, behind sleeping driver of stolen car, driver wakes up and drives off, officer asks him to stop, driver refuses so he shoots him dead.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/videos/us/2023/04/05/police-shooting-washington-teen-car-crash-bodycam-serfaty-cnntm-vpx.cnn

Jesus. Could he not just have chilled in the back seat and updated the control room with their ongoing location?

Hell, if the driver was asleep, remove the keys before waking him?

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The entire culture and training is built around a "going into a warzone" mentality.  They're told from day one that any citizen they encounter on the job is probably the worst of the worst criminal scum out there.  

My cousin's fiance is a cop a year out of training in an affluent Hartford CT suburb and the shit he says is mind boggling.  You'd think he was patrolling the serial killer ward at a maximum security prison.

• 4 weeks later...

Why mass shooting inquiry said Canada should look to Finland for its policing model

"Parjanan said Finland had a shorter training program for police about 50 years ago, but she could never see the country going back to that model.

The commission report quoted Kimmo Himberg, former rector of the Finnish police college, who said modern policing requires a complicated mix of skills and knowledge. As well, a thorough vetting of candidates is needed.

"We definitely do not want, as an example, Rambos, Rockys," he said.

"We want young people who are able to take initiative, make independent decisions, who have the characteristics for this so that we can build the education on those characteristics."

Doubt anything will come of it, but there's always hope, I guess.