Law Enforcement and its abuse of power

Ser Scot A Ellison

3 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Seems the police are leaning heavily on the difference between following and chasing here

Cardiff riot: Ely crash death boys were followed by police https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65700552

Nearest police half a mile away at time of death/impact apparently.

Think we can agree that it's a tragedy of their own making based on current information. 

15 minutes ago, Zorral said:

So ... still 'following' when on the bumper?

Are we really blaming police for following under age youth driving dangerously and killing themselves. Ffs,we do enough wrong without having to take the blame for other people being idiots aswell. 

On 5/19/2023 at 7:08 PM, BigFatCoward said:

can you imagine the internal conversation - 'What are my tactical options?  Walk backwards very slowly, nah, fuck it, lets taser a great grandmother'.

We've been talking about this one a fair bit and yeah. Some tried to trot out the "need training in de-escalation" and just fuck off. Our cops are trained in that and can normally do it just fine, there's no special circumstance with a 95 year old dementia patient who needs a walking frame that can't be handled via register de-escalation and simply backing off until she's out of stamina. Worst case she falls at that point which... She did anyway after being tased.

If being on the bumper isn't following, but chasing, what happens to BFC's argument that Harry and his family were merely being followed by the papillona virri desperate to get sixty thousand lbs. for a photo of them in a taxi, when they'd already had the red carpet fotos?  Again, they don't want those photos they want something ... that is private, personal and needs personal intrusion into people's personal, private space to get.  And that is the POINT of what they are doing -- INTRUSION.  Without intrusion they don't get outrage and all the rest that they are going for.

43 minutes ago, Zorral said:

If being on the bumper isn't following, but chasing, what happens to BFC's argument that Harry and his family were merely being followed by the papillona virri desperate to get sixty thousand lbs. for a photo of them in a taxi, when they'd already had the red carpet fotos?  Again, they don't want those photos they want something ... that is private, personal and needs personal intrusion into people's personal, private space to get.  And that is the POINT of what they are doing -- INTRUSION.  Without intrusion they don't get outrage and all the rest that they are going for.

That was just a noise. Can't you just write like a normal person? 

Normal persons hang on the bumpers of taxis to chase down people to take fhotos ... how do you think THEY write?  How do you write?  You wrote that it was following to be on that Sussex taxi's bumper, but somewhere else it was chasing.  That is what is COP noise.

Seems a lot of police organizations are having trouble recruiting these days and lowering standards. I doubt that an easier to enter and increasingly right wing force is going to perform better. I wonder if there is anyway to get police reform activists to join the police force? Or at least more liberal people. Because to have actual police reforms there needs to be people on the force who actually believe in them or else it's just going to be city councils trying to implement these reforms on a hostile workforce. 

8 hours ago, Darzin said:

Seems a lot of police organizations are having trouble recruiting these days and lowering standards. I doubt that an easier to enter and increasingly right wing force is going to perform better. I wonder if there is anyway to get police reform activists to join the police force? Or at least more liberal people. Because to have actual police reforms there needs to be people on the force who actually believe in them or else it's just going to be city councils trying to implement these reforms on a hostile workforce. 

Working to reform an organization from the inside is a bit of a non starter. I would never volunteer to join the armed forces to work for peace in the world. There are too many layers above me to change.

9 hours ago, Darzin said:

wonder if there is anyway to get police reform activists to join the police force?

Nope,  Instead, actively being recruited, as with FL DeSantis, etc., are the very cops who have been disciplined for abusive and even murderous behavior.  They are going into a special governor police force.  Praetorian Guard-like.  How soon will they be beating down the doors of the homes of the chosen targets, beating, killing, plundering, raping and arresting.  They have been doing this of course already -- i.e. swat teams.  Nazi Germany and Hitler's brown shirts here we are already.  Including purging themselves of those insufficiently eagerly brutal.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Nope,  Instead, actively being recruited, as with FL DeSantis, etc., are the very cops who have been disciplined for abusive and even murderous behavior.  They are going into a special governor police force.  Praetorian Guard-like.  How soon will they be beating down the doors of the homes of the chosen targets, beating, killing, plundering, raping and arresting.  They have been doing this of course already -- i.e. swat teams.  Nazi Germany and Hitler's brown shirts here we are already.  Including purging themselves of those insufficiently eagerly brutal.

I don't know anything about it other than what you've shared here. But one imagines the tempering phase of this alleged Governor's Blades would be rounding up all the homeless, and/or refugees for... y'know, reconcen RELOCATION! 

Practical operations experience in a series of low-risk maneuvers + male bonding = POWER

On 5/26/2023 at 9:58 PM, maarsen said:

Working to reform an organization from the inside is a bit of a non starter. I would never volunteer to join the armed forces to work for peace in the world. There are too many layers above me to change.

I'm not sure I agree with this, most of the scandals of American policing have come about because of actions officers took in the moment based on their judgement not on orders.

Regardless, if the only people left being cops are MAGA chuds how exactly would police reform ever happen? All the committees of sociology majors in the world won't matter if everyone who actually needs to follow their recommendations is violently opposed to them.  

25 minutes ago, Darzin said:

I'm not sure I agree with this, most of the scandals of American policing have come about because of actions officers took in the moment based on their judgement not on orders.

Regardless, if the only people left being cops are MAGA chuds how exactly would police reform ever happen? All the committees of sociology majors in the world won't matter if everyone who actually needs to follow their recommendations is violently opposed to them.  

In a lot of areas there are already informal screening processes and attitudes (and probably formal ones as well) that are going to remove candidates from consideration who fail to toe the ideological blue line.  

I don't blame them for the spit hood if she was genuinely spitting at them. The rest sounds a bit much though!

This is something Raja likely knows more about than me, but I have seen hospital staff put padded mittens and a sort of spit trap on a very confused old woman in intensive care to stop her making a nuisance of herself. They were very gentle about it though.

On 5/28/2023 at 2:31 AM, Larry of the Lake said:

In a lot of areas there are already informal screening processes and attitudes (and probably formal ones as well) that are going to remove candidates from consideration who fail to toe the ideological blue line.  

And if any bleeding hearts do sneak through the process, they'll be frozen out, forced out, or otherwise sabotaged.

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

I don't blame them for the spit hood if she was genuinely spitting at them. The rest sounds a bit much though!

People who spit are fucking disgusting. I'd rather be punched. 

7 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

And if any bleeding hearts do sneak through the process, they'll be frozen out, forced out, or otherwise sabotaged.

Or thoroughly assimilated because they’d want friends and their potential friend group will be full of scum. 40% of cops freely admit to beating their spouse. I imagine at least another 10-15% are ashamed enough or at least smart enough to keep quiet.’

On 5/27/2023 at 11:04 PM, Darzin said:

I too don’t want the worst people in society to have the only legitimate means of state violence 

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I too don’t want the worst people in society to have the only legitimate means of state violence 

Can we keep some perspective and acknowledge that they also have maybe the worst job, see the worst of humanity, and are less trained than hairdressers. It’s as much the culture and shitshow day to day experience that produces the ‘worst people’ as the kind of people who take the job for the wrong reasons.

Edited by James Arryn