HBO Announces Production Begins on House of the Dragon

Westeros

After a number of flame emojis were tweeted by the official Game of Thrones Twitter account, with the number growing every 15 minutes, the burst of flames culminated in the exciting announcement that production of House of the Dragon has commenced in a tweet with an intriguing picture of a distanced production team (including, if I’m not mistaken, showrunners Miguel Sapochnik and Ryan J. Condal):

View the full article

We got a few problems:

1. Viserys I is supposed to be fat

2. Harwin, whoever he is is supposed to be massive. Well, not massive but quite large. 

3. Rhaenyra should also be a bit larger

4. Rhaenys has black not blond hair, but that's easily solved

And on the Laenor/Harwin question, I think Laenor's on the right and Harwin's on the right.

4 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

???

OMG, I meant that Harwin's on the right and Laenor's on the left. :rofl:

4 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Well Rhaenyra didn't get the baby weight until later in life. This is Young Rhaenyra.

Well, do we have Old Rhaenyra?

The fellow suggested to be Laenor could be Laenor considering his looks. He looks like he could be the son of a black Corlys and a white-skinned Rhaenys.

Just now, Jaenara Belarys said:

Well, do we have Old Rhaenyra?

So far we operate under the assumption that the first season won't move beyond Rhaenyra's first marriage. So, no, we do not yet have an old Rhaenyra.

And I really see no reason to cast a new actress to play Rhaenyra in her late twenties and early thirties. They don't have to include her getting fat ... but if they do they could do it with the same actress since she isn't really that old when she dies.

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

So far we operate under the assumption that the first season won't move beyond Rhaenyra's first marriage. So, no, we do not yet have an old Rhaenyra.

OK

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

And I really see no reason to cast a new actress to play Rhaenyra in her late twenties and early thirties. They don't have to include her getting fat ... but if they do they could do it with the same actress since she isn't really that old when she dies.

But it isn't about the age, it's about her 6 childbirths and eating quite a bit.

Oh, and Viserys I is also only really fat at the end of his reign. When he took the throne he may not have been all that athletic, but nobody said he was a fat guy throughout his entire reign.

Just now, Jaenara Belarys said:

OK

But it isn't about the age, it's about her 6 childbirths and eating quite a bit.

You can make actors look fat without them actually being fat. And Rhaenyra wasn't that fat. She gained weight and all, but she quickly lost it during the war, being a haggard woman when she leaves Duskendale for Dragonstone.

2 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Here you go, about Viserys being fat: "His Grace had reached the age of three-and-forty, and had grown quite stout."- The Rogue Prince,    courtesy of A Search of Ice and Fire.

Yes, but he only was massively fat in the late 120s when he scarcely mount the steps to the Iron Throne. We are starting the show in the early 100s when Viserys I is in his late twenties and he has just taken the Iron Throne. Or, perhaps, he is somewhat older in the show if he already has a teenaged daughter at that time.

1 hour ago, zionius said:

From how they sit (A beside Rhaenys and Sea Snake, B beside Rhaenyra), probably Laenor & Strong. 

B might also be Harrold Westerling, who was mentioned as serial regular in cast sheet.

That could make sense. Not thinking Westerling should have that prominent a role, but we'll have to wait and see.

We should also get Lyonel and Larys Strong, but I guess neither does have to be a main cast at this point. Lyonel should feature prominently after he replaces Otto as Hand, though.

16 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

They don't have to include her getting fat ... but if they do they could do it with the same actress since she isn't really that old when she dies.

Quite a few are saying it would be fat-shaming or "thin-washing" not to cast a heavyset actress as older Rhaenyra.

Based on the casting sides someone reported a while ago, the show starts in 105 AC with Queen Aemma's death. Based on other hints and info, it then goes through a period of Daeron being heir, then being displaced in favour of Rhaenyra, with The Rogue Prince narrative unfolding before we get to the Dance. I suspect we'll see some eliding or unspoken compression of the timeline (also some rumours that a young Rhaenyra might have been cast as well, so there'll be a timeskip at some point).

My feeling has been that Season 1 will end with Viserys's death and the Dance itself starting, with Paddy Considine being this show's Sean Bean.

26 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Based on the casting sides someone reported a while ago, the show starts in 105 AC with Queen Aemma's death. Based on other hints and info, it then goes through a period of Daeron being heir, then being displaced in favour of Rhaenyra, with The Rogue Prince narrative unfolding before we get to the Dance. I suspect we'll see some eliding or unspoken compression of the timeline (also some rumours that a young Rhaenyra might have been cast as well, so there'll be a timeskip at some point).

My feeling has been that Season 1 will end with Viserys's death and the Dance itself starting, with Paddy Considine being this show's Sean Bean.

That's a lot of time to go from teenage Alicent marrying Viserys to late 30s early 40s Alicent as grandmother. They would be wise to let the story breathe a little and maybe have Viserys' death be end of S2 and have Dance proper begin in late S2 to early S3. Otherwise they should've hired a somewhat older actress to play Alicent and even Rhaenyra. 

31 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Daeron? You mean Daemon? I thought he was never his brother's heir, and that it was only because of his ugly "heir for a day" line that Viserys proclaimed Rhaenyra his official heir.

41 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Quite a few are saying it would be fat-shaming or "thin-washing" not to cast a heavyset actress as older Rhaenyra.

It would be, I agree with those people. Old Rhaenyra is fat. Period. End of story. 

1 minute ago, Sotan said:

This is Hollywood, show Rhaenyra will never be fat. Ever. 

Well, if they're going to change trivial details, then they'll probably change big details, and HotD will be as ****ed up as Seasons 7 and 8. She might be prettier thin, and that's nice, but you should follow the books.

Warner Brothers is building a medieval castle set on the shores of Cornwell in England with a Sigel that looks like a slightly modified seahorse. Most probably to represent Driftmark. Personally I think Corlys Velyrion will likely be a major protagonist in the story. Perhaps he will end up being the major "overall" major hero in the story. 

Archived