HBO Announces Production Begins on House of the Dragon

Westeros

New photos have leaked seeming to show the sarcophagus of Laena Velaryon

https://mobile.twitter.com/QorenMartell/status/1387464325997096960

note this seems to confirm the tv version of the Velaryon sigil will have a horse’s head. Fools.

New, very high resolution shot of the archway with the Velaryon sigil on it: https://mobile.twitter.com/vv408v/status/1387461264658608130

6 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

note this seems to confirm the tv version of the Velaryon sigil will have a horse’s head. Fools.

What lackwitted fool at HBO decided the seahorse should have a horse's head? Do they have Lollys running the show?

57 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

New photos have leaked seeming to show the sarcophagus of Laena Velaryon

https://mobile.twitter.com/QorenMartell/status/1387464325997096960

New, very high resolution shot of the archway with the Velaryon sigil on it: https://mobile.twitter.com/vv408v/status/1387461264658608130

Laena died around 120 AC, that means Alicent's older children were teens, and Rhaenyra's brood are very young children.  Looks like Aegon II, Aemond, Heleana, at least Jace and Luke will be in season 1. 

13 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

to be honest, I think they just googled and found inaccurate fanart.

You would think that they would put in more effort. Or at least have basic knowledge of the structure of a seahorse's head.

13 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

All sigils since Season 5 onwards were just googled. 

Ugh. Well, I suppose I don't mind if the sigils are correct. If the sigils are wrong.......

Now that it is clear that filming has begun I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on when the show will start airing.  I would think 2021 is really out of the question but sometime in 2022 is much more likely. So what do people think?-Jan or April or sometime in the Fall. It would seem to me that HBO needs to get this on ASAP with all the streaming competitors (Disney + with their Marvel shows, Amazon Plus with LOTR, NetFlix with Witcher and Shadow and Bone, etc.).

1 hour ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

You would think that they would put in more effort. Or at least have basic knowledge of the structure of a seahorse's head.

Ugh. Well, I suppose I don't mind if the sigils are correct. If the sigils are wrong.......

They mostly just ripped of A Wiki of Ice and Fire's sigils....not necessarily a bad thing :) (They directly copied the Stokeworth and Reed sigils)

12 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

They mostly just ripped of A Wiki of Ice and Fire's sigils....not necessarily a bad thing :) (They directly copied the Stokeworth and Reed sigils)

The wiki of ice and fire sigils are better than the book sigils. It is known. 

Seeing that happy little pony head makes my soul cringe.

I don't know what would bug me most: that they changed it for aesthetic reasons or that they aren't even aware that it's a change.

17 minutes ago, Ran said:

I don't know what would bug me most: that they changed it for aesthetic reasons or that they aren't even aware that it's a change.

IMO: If they changed it for aesthetic reasons, they're fools. If they aren't even aware, then they truly are lackwit fools. Thus, not being aware is worse. You might have a different opinion.

19 minutes ago, Ran said:

I want to know where to complain. They screwed up the Targaryen dragon with four legs in the pilot, but there was time to try to correct that.

io9 just threw a nuclear bomb idea out there: that Daemon being "the heir" is a sign they might be changing the TV show so that it's Daemon and Rhaenyra at war, with maybe Aegon II as a third claimant.

I don't think that would be the case - that's an absurdly huge change - but that's a slightly disturbing thought I won't be happy until it's been ruled out (such as them announcing the casting of Aegon II, who is conspicuous by his absence thusfar).

7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Just hope that The Witcher taught them that they can and should do the purple eyes thing. They are not really Targaryens if they don't have the purple eyes.

That would create a continuity mismatch with GoT (where they don't have purple eyes) so I doubt that would happen. It might be nice, but they'd have to explain why they have purple eyes when Rhaegar, Viserys and Daenerys do not, which is probably more effort than it's worth.

55 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

They screwed up the Targaryen dragon with four legs in the pilot, but there was time to try to correct that.

Excuse me? FOUR LEGGED DRAGON? Damn it to hell. Has HBO been using some child's videogame to hire people? 

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Actually, as I think on it, I wouldn't mind if they changed it "for aesthetic reasons" i.e. "that's what seahorses look like in real life heraldry"...so long as it was a conscious choice, you see.  One I disagree with, but a decision was made.

In contrast...on Game of Thrones, there were MANY things that we just hopefully assumed were a conscious adaptation choice by the showrunners, until we later realized that they just "kinda forgot".  

I'd take "because that's what seahorses look like in real life heraldry" any day over "we kinda forgot"

Archived