HBO Announces Production Begins on House of the Dragon

Westeros

7 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

But who the heck is the blonde woman with the double peaked black hat with a gold border?

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/04/29/14/42368858-9525555-image-a-78_1619703060025.jpg

Looks to me to be more dark hair with some gray streaks-perhaps Rhaenys Targaryen-especially if the castle is on Driftmark. 

2 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Why will they not have purple eyes? The purple eyes seem to be the most common color for the Targaryens. 

Not in the show canon, they don't.

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Not in the show canon, they don't.

The production's officially produced animated shorts generally depicted Targaryens prior to the ASoIaF generations as having purple eyes, funnily enough, and I suppose the argument could be that the ASoIaF-era generation had lost it by that time.

I don't expect they will do it, however. 

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

The production's officially produced animated shorts generally depicted Targaryens prior to the ASoIaF generations as having purple eyes, funnily enough, and I suppose the argument could be that the ASoIaF-era generation had lost it by that time.

But how would they lose it? They still do their gross incest marriages.

We're deluding ourselves if we think Game of Thrones had a uniform "canon", and not just the showrunners making up stuff at whim then only to "kinda forget" about it, then bully interviewers who asked about it with a combination of evasion, deflection, and whataboutism. 

"But director Alan Taylor, you've established for seven years that dragons and more importantly ravens can't possibly fly across a continent in a matter of only a few hours" - his actual response: "what about it?"

Oh absolutely they didn't pay attention to their own canon (does Jaehaerys II exist or not, I forget? Or what is beyond the walls of King's Landing this week? Forest, mountains or a massive desert?), as the steadily shrinking size of Westeros in the show indicates (a terrifying existential threat far greater than the White Walkers that no one seems to care about). Or to be more accurate, Bryan Cogman cared about it but got overridden all the time.

But I think that they will broadly stick to things established in the prior show. The arguments about why Dany and Viserys didn't have purple eyes still stand, despite other shows having more success with changing eye colours. If they'd successfully given Dany and Viserys purple eyes in the OG show, they'd be more conscientious about it here, but since they didn't, I doubt it was ever a conversation for this show.

Guys, characters in HotD having purple or blue or green or red or orange eyes has literally no bearing on GoT ... unless they were including speeches about Valyrian/Targaryen looks in the show. Which they really don't have to.

They didn't even state in GoT why Daenerys and Viserys looked the way they did. Valyrian looks aren't even a thing in the 'GoT canon' considering Talisa Maegyr of the Old Blood of Volantis had the dark hair and dark eyes of Oona Chaplin.

I've no idea how they did Yennefer her eyes in The Witcher. But it cannot have been that difficult. We are no longer in the era of silent movies or stop motion animation... Which means they could do this with HotD, too.

I don't think for a moment that the likes of Myriah Martell and Betha Blackwood 'do exist' in the 'GoT canon'. I don't recall them being mentioned, but I may have forgotten it if they were mentioned. But for what it's worth, Aerys II is Egg's grandson in the German version of GoT, since I told them to change the dialogue there from 'father' to 'grandfather'.

Whether any of that means there is a 'King Jaehaerys II' is a completely different question. Even if one wanted to stick to the silly concept of Aerys II as one of Egg's children one could make Jaehaerys II Aerys' elder brother and his predecessor as king. The mere fact that Aerys II is supposed to be the son of Aegon V doesn't necessarily erase Jaehaerys II from history.

Not that I think they should keep this shit if they ever do Dunk & Egg and stuff. Just ignore that line, perhaps Aemon was already senile, etc. Nobody is hopefully ever going to include 'King Orys' or the other kings the GoT invented if they make more shows based on George's material.

As for them sticking to earlier stuff - does anybody believe they will recreate/reuse GoT's Dragonstone? Or use the same Red Keep?

They could, but overall a new show means new people want to try new things. I don't see them recreating iconic things like the Iron Throne ... but Dragonstone is likely going to be a major set the producers may not want only to show new places but also recreate the places we already saw in GoT.

Archived