HBO Announces Production Begins on House of the Dragon

Westeros

Headsup, filming may resume in Cornwall this week, starting on Tuesday.

I was confused by this, I thought the UK's "Bank Holiday" was the entire past week - no, Bank Holiday is one day, TODAY, Monday - a three-day weekend. So it's possible that filming stopped for the three-day weekend but will resume on Tuesday.

We're starting to get scattered reports over Reddit that more WB filming trucks are showing up in Cornwall instead of winding now activity there.

It's possible that if they are filming, it's simply scenes that don't involve Emma D'Arcy - Emma left back for London on Friday, according to an Instagram post. But did Emma leave permanently....or just for the three-day weekend? How big of a trip or drive is it from London to Cornwall? Enough to merit going home on a three day weekend?

But even if Emma's scenes are done, maybe they have pickup shots with other cast members. Or even action scenes on beaches meant to represent the Stepstones?

Keep eyes on Twitter's House of the Dragon hashtags tomorrow if we get any new spy reports.

Reddit poster "Irogenia" just got back from taking spy photos and footage at Holywell Bay in Cornwall. Filming is done for the day (nightfall just came to England);

Says she got footage of a Valyrian child, possibly the one we saw last week, much more closeup and clearly wearing Green: possibly Aemond?

The photos aren't clear, but said she's editing together three videos into one big video to be posted soon:

Cornwall is an inconvenient distance from London, and not very easy to get to by train (depending on the route, it can be over five hours which in the relatively small UK, is kind of insane). By car it's not too bad, maybe four hours, though that's still very long by our standards.

CORRECTION.  On closer inspection, the youth we saw today doesn't look like either of the two young actors we saw last week - one young adult in green and one small child.  This one is of middle height between the two, and on top of that has a different, swept-back hairstyle.

THIS seems to be Aemond, while the kid we saw last week may be Daeron the Daring:

The same character between timeskips is possible...but we're pretty sure that Cornwall = Driftmark, and the Greens only visit Driftmark once, for Laena's funeral.

These shots are form Holywell beach, north side of Cornwall.

Has any character been spotted who might be Leanor Velaryon. If the filming is at least partly related to Laena Velaryon's funeral I would think Leaonor should be there (even though he was murdered shortly thereafter in Spicetown).  His physical appearance would be very revealing.  

The official twitter account is posting official pics of some of the protagonists:

Not sure if I'll get used to Corlys' pale rastafari look.

One detail worth noting is that Otto wears the Hand insignia, which would suggest that he'll be in the post at the beginning of the series.

ah beat me to it by 10 minutes

@Ran

Rhaenyra has earrings. I did an analysis video on this, but NO ONE in "Game of Thrones" had earrings. At all. Then some of my twitter followers pointed out obscure quotes from the books - particularly one about SANSA - making it clear that earrings are commonplace among female aristocrats in Westeros.  

So I wrote up this quick article on the wiki summarizing the key points: 

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jewelry

Thoughts on this? Did Martin ever remark on it?

Hey look, Daemon and Rhaenyra are in Dorne. :P

I like Corlys's outfit, but Daemon is very similar to some costumes we've seen in GoT, namely Tyrion's. Not very creative.

I like that the Hightowers are wearing green and they look pretty good.

It's a bit funny that while they cast black actors for the Velaryons, they're still going with the white hair. I'm not sure how you can explain that.

I wonder if they have posted pics of those five characters because they intend them to be the primary protagonists of the first season. Meaning that the show would not focus as much on the likes of king Viserys and Princess Rhaenys.

....I'm not sure....because they gave the list of the 8 primary characters, these 5 were among them, so it's not unusual that they'd be "focused on".

Still, where is Rhaenys TQWNW?

Mysaria might just not be filming yet.

But we saw Paddy Considine (Viserys) on location this week, just not in costume. We also saw Fabien Frankel (Criston Cole). 

I went back and checked: Rhaenyra and Alicent's children get into a fight at LAENOR'S funeral, not Laena's.

Or rather....the text is odd, it says they came after Laenor died, but wanted to return to Dragonstone after the "funerals" plural. 

....I guess Laena and Laenor did die in such rapid succession that they had a double funeral.

So the female sarcophagus we saw....yeah, one combined funeral event.

Archived