US Politics: Biden Hood - Prince of Plebs

DMC

I missed this morning: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/19-863_6jgm.pdf

SCOTUS ruled against the federal government and in favor of undocumented Guatemalan resident on a fairly technical immigration issue. It's one hell of an interesting 6-3 line-up though: Gorsuch, Thomas, Barrett, and the three liberals are the majority.

Jill Biden's first 100 days -- the woman is busy!  Still nice, though.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/29/politics/jill-biden-first-100-days/index.html

....In Arizona last week, during speeches outdoors at Window Rock, the government seat of Navajo Nation and a picturesque natural stone formation, Biden, as she sat and listened, was handed a Native American-style blanket, patterned with brown, green and orange designs. One of the Navajo councilwomen helped wrap her in it, tucking it up to her chin and down to her ankles. The sun set, the wind picked up, the program went long -- a trifecta of events that left the audience and the traveling press of 10 or so members of the media shivering with cold.

The next day, a staff member told CNN the first lady had seen the audience, press included, and felt badly that they were exposed to the elements while she had the blanket. The first thing the first lady said when she saw the media that day was, "Did you thaw out from last night?" It was an acknowledgment, though brief, that she was aware of the discomfort in the far back row of her event, in the same way she is aware of the discomfort of everyone she has visited with during her first 100 days as first lady in a country trying to reemerge from one of its most devastating periods.....

Matt Gaetz is in deep shit. While trying to buy a pardon through Roger Stone, Gaetz’ partner-in-crime admitted that both of them payed for sex with a 17 year old. And this shit is in writing.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/joel-greenberg-letter-written-for-roger-stone-says-matt-gaetz-paid-for-sex-with-minor

7 hours ago, Trishkin said:

Matt Gaetz is in deep shit. While trying to buy a pardon through Roger Stone, Gaetz’ partner-in-crime admitted that both of them payed for sex with a 17 year old. And this shit is in writing.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/joel-greenberg-letter-written-for-roger-stone-says-matt-gaetz-paid-for-sex-with-minor

Just saw this on CNN. He's finished.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

8 hours ago, Trishkin said:

Damn sounds like Roger Stone could be facing some charges too lol.  

That Daily Beast story won’t open for me unless I sign up, can somebody post some quotes from it, or give more details?

eta: I have now seen the CNN report on the Daily Beast story. The other shocking detail is Roger Stone expecting $250,000 in Bitcoin as payment for getting the pardon. Did Stone get the $250,000 and not follow through? I’m not sure if the dates involved, but Stone would have made a helluva profit on the payment if he got it.

29 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

That Daily Beast story won’t open for me unless I sign up, can somebody post some quotes from it, or give more details?

eta: I have now seen the CNN report on the Daily Beast story. The other shocking detail is Roger Stone expecting $250,000 in Bitcoin as payment for getting the pardon. Did Stone get the $250,000 and not follow through? I’m not sure if the dates involved, but Stone would have made a helluva profit on the payment if he got it.

Are cryptocurrencies completely unregulated?  

57 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Are cryptocurrencies completely unregulated?  

Very nearly.  The only place they can get you is when you're converting the bitcoin to real currency, and there's foreign websites that help you with that.

Of course if we had a functioning IRS they'd probably have figured out how to catch all these morons anyway, but the GOP has been systematically crippling the IRS for decades.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, and a trigger warning for abuse here would be appropriate:

Apparently Greenberg initially did not know that the girl was underage. When he found out, naturally, he confronted her. He angrily asked her if she realised how many people she had put in danger by her behaviour. He and Gaetz, responsible folks that they are, then stopped having sex with her until she turned 18.

:ack::blink::stillsick:

56 minutes ago, argonak said:

Very nearly.  The only place they can get you is when you're converting the bitcoin to real currency, and there's foreign websites that help you with that.

Of course if we had a functioning IRS they'd probably have figured out how to catch all these morons anyway, but the GOP has been systematically crippling the IRS for decades.

Actually, the IRS has released some cryptocurrency guidance.  See Notice 2014-21.  And they are accepting lots of comments, and I would expect more guidance on this in the next year or so.  Remember that the IRS is a revenue collecting agency primarily.  The KYC/fraud/etc. is really more in either Treasury (qua Treasury)’s lap, or the SEC (or the CFTC).  There is sort of a question as to what the animal called crypto currency is.  It’s not a currency as properly understood.  However, the question is whether it is a publicly traded asset (SEC), a Commodity (CFTC), or some other asset (probably just Treasury).  What needs to happen is that exchanges need to be regulated so that there can be information reporting both for anti money laundering purposes and for taxation. 

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

See your private messages, 'Bird.

19 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

If Graham chooses climate change as his area to be bipartisan on, all the better. Everyone is vastly underestimating methane leaks (and even the GWP of methane is .....probably underestimating its impact), so I would take him bringing back that regulation any day.

The methane burns will be the main driver to shut down fracking. I'm not sure how accurate reporting vs lobbying has been, but the methane leaks in that particular branch of the industry are obscene.

3 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

This is why crypto is the medium of exchange of choice for bad actors such as North Korea, drug dealers, and arms dealers.

This is what I assumed would happen when I first heard about crypto. MZ's post makes it clear why it's hard to regulate, but I would think it's in every government's interest to figure that to prevent all sorts of crimes. It also needs to be regulated because there's still a chance these things collapse, and they're getting more absurd by the day. There's no one, which isn't exactly a currency, but it works that called NBA Top Shot. It's ridiculous. You pay for the rights to a clip that others can also own with a different code, but everyone can just watch it for free on YouTube. One sold for like a quarter million dollars not that long ago.

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is what I assumed would happen when I first heard about crypto. MZ's post makes it clear why it's hard to regulate, but I would think it's in every government's interest to figure that to prevent all sorts of crimes. It also needs to be regulated because there's still a chance these things collapse, and they're getting more absurd by the day. There's no one, which isn't exactly a currency, but it works that called NBA Top Shot. It's ridiculous. You pay for the rights to a clip that others can also own with a different code, but everyone can just watch it for free on YouTube. One sold for like a quarter million dollars not that long ago.

I think regulation is coming...but by design it's not the lightest lift.

I don't know what to make of the NFT craze. I'm glad artists are having a new avenue to monetize their work, but it feels very tulip craze...

Bitcoin's price dipped recently, and quite recently, each time Treasury said or did something related to trying to deal with cryptocurrency and money laundering. I think that latest was the indictment against a Russian-Swedish national who ran a crypto "tumbler" that was basically a money laundering operation.

2 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Those are NFTs, or non-fungible tokens. Great way to launder your crypto, although not in and of themselves a “cryptocurrency”.

Correct, and I should have been more clear. Top Shot is a NFT, but in an interview I heard a few weeks back it sounded like they (can't recall the name of the person representing them) think with time those lines could be blurred a bit. It didn't seem possible to me, but I'm no authority on the subject and it's possible I misunderstood what they meant by following a Bitcoin like model.

Archived