US Politics: Biden Hood - Prince of Plebs

DMC

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Right, a concrete tunnel is going to be built which Whitmer won’t allow. Instead, 26 M people need to have their economy crippled. Or thousands of tanker trucks need to replace the oil pipeline. That will be environmentally better, right? Maybe a train can explode and kill a few hundred people instead of just 50 like the train that exploded in Lac Megantic a few years ago. “The pipeline is going to pollute the Great Lakes” is a bullshit scare tactic after 65 years. 
Hell, why don’t we just shutdown all the oil going to Michigan period. That’ll protect the state. See how that goes over.

I don't see how this hyperbole is helpful.  Sorry it costs money to be environmentally responsible.  

Fuel costs are steeply rising, particularly since the rasomware hit on the pipeline that brings fuel oil from Texas across the Gulf states, up the east Atlantic coast states all the way to New Jersey and New York.

"Ransomware attack leads to shutdown of major U.S. pipeline system
The attack on top U.S. operator Colonial Pipeline appears to have been carried out by an Eastern European-based criminal gang"

Colonial says it transports "45% of the fuel consumed on the East Coast".

Colonial’s 5,500 miles of pipelines carry fuel from refineries on the Gulf Coast to customers in the southern and eastern United States. It says it transports 45 percent of the fuel consumed on the East Coast, reaching 50 million Americans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/05/08/cyber-attack-colonial-pipeline/

7 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

This is how we got into the mass extinction event we're in right now, it's just too expensive to do the right thing.  We will leave this place an empty stone.

There’s always the chance we exterminate ourselves before we make the place completely uninhabitable to all forms of life. 

Then in a few million years the things from the bottom of the ocean can evolve enough to try again. Maybe they’ll do better.

And they’ll have some fascinating fossils to find from the previous technological species that used to live on the planet!

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ok, let’s shut off 50% of all fuel being delivered to Minnesota. See how you deal with that.

Or how about just make the the area of the strait where the pipeline runs a no-stopping zone for ships, so anchors don’t accidentally hit it.

Or, why don’t we stop oil shipments to the US? That’s 20% of your oil supply. Let’s see if that hurts. Whitmer can go fuck herself, and you know what? I’m a big fan of Whitmer. But when she tells 26 M people to go fuck themselves, like I said, she can fuck off.

Also, I am all for a 20% reduction in fossil fuel availability EVERYWHERE in the developed world. That includes here in Minnesota and includes it being abrupt and painful. And I am not for a single foot of pipeline going through tribal or treatied land that isn’t put there gladly by the tribes themselves.

24 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Also, I am all for a 20% reduction in fossil fuel availability EVERYWHERE in the developed world. That includes here in Minnesota and includes it being abrupt and painful. And I am not for a single foot of pipeline going through tribal or treatied land that isn’t put there gladly by the tribes themselves.

Boo-hoo, what brave words! Except it's not going to happen to you, not 50%, not even 20%, not 10%. But Whitmer says that later this month she's going to shut down the pipeline and the economic heartland of Canada is going to lose 50% of the fuel it needs to run. Just what the hell do you think that's going to do to Canada?

I said 26 M people, I keep thinking Quebec has 11 M people, it's actually 22 M people who are affected. That's 60% of the Canadian population. Imagine 200 M people in the US, whatever section you want, the whole east coast, waking up one day and finding out that there is 50% less fuel for their part of the country. What the hell do you think the US would do if that happened?

You know what that is? Economic terrorism. Whitmer is a fucking economic terrorist. 

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Boo-hoo, what brave words! Except it's not going to happen to you, not 50%, not even 20%, not 10%. But Whitmer says that later this month she's going to shut down the pipeline and the economic heartland of Canada is going to lose 50% of the fuel it needs to run. Just what the hell do you think that's going to do to Canada?

I said 26 M people, I keep thinking Quebec has 11 M people, it's actually 22 M people who are affected. That's 60% of the Canadian population. Imagine 200 M people in the US, whatever section you want, the whole east coast, waking up one day and finding out that there is 50% less fuel for their part of the country. What the hell do you think the US would do if that happened?

You know what that is? Economic terrorism. Whitmer is a fucking economic terrorist. 

You know what has been happening to me? My tribal lands have been poisoned. By oil pipelines. Which has led to food shortages due to impacted rice beds. Economic concerns aren’t the only issue to consider with pipelines. People are trying to keep their kids from getting poisoned and reducing it to an economic issue alone is an insane oversimplification.

On 5/7/2021 at 9:30 AM, Wilbur said:

One part of the Cyber Ninjas plan was to verify voters by going out and knocking on doors to ensure that the voter on the ballot was in fact registered to vote, lived in Maricopa County, and was an American citizen.  Reports state that Cyber Ninja staff assigned to this task didn't show up on on several days, which shouldn't be a surprise, as I can't think of a better way of learning whether or not a homeowner is armed and insulted than by knocking on his or her door and asking those specific questions.  A Phoenix fireman I know, a Trump guy, mentioned that there was already one such confrontation.  I just laughed when I heard this.

The plan to go out and canvas voters also violates the Ku Klux Klan Act of 1871, which prevents voter intimidation, and it also calls into question the existing process Maricopa County has to update and refresh voter rolls, linked to such activities as Motor Voter, Obituary Tracking, etc.  Unsurprisingly, insulted attorneys for the state and county are gearing up to sue over this, and various political organizations, ranging from La Raza to the Libertarian Party, also expressed plans to sue Cyber Ninjas on this one...

Hey, remember this aspect of our Combination Clown Show and Festival of Mendacity?  Well, it turns out that the Feds don't enjoy it when States declare that they have plans to violate federal law, so the Civil Rights Division of the US Attorney General wrote the Arizona State Senate a couple of love letters about this part of the Cyber Ninjas plan.

After reviewing the federal correspondence from DC, State Senate President Karen Fann assured local news outlets today that the documented, court-filed Cyber Ninjas plan to wander the streets of Maricopa asking residents who they voted for was no longer in effect, and in fact that they had planned to omit this part of the plan several weeks ago.

This was apparently news to the Shogun of the Cyber Ninjas, Doug Logan, who had been sending out Cyber Ninjas as recently as last week to do just that, right up until apparently some homeowner threatened one or more of the canvassers with bodily harm.  Welcome to Arizonans vs Cyber Ninjas: Unstoppable force of agitated, armed homeowners meets the immovable object of Florida Man with a clipboard and inappropriate questions**.  Anyways, volunteers for this part of the Cyber Ninjas master plan were thin on the ground after this incident.

This part of the plan was so egregious that a lawyer for the Goldwater Institute has been snarking about how problematic it was on the local Nextdoor channel.  When attorneys associated with the Goldwater Institute are sniping at your Republican plan, it may be a step too far into the twilight zone.

In another barometer of the level of competence on display by the Cyber Ninjas, the audit they are performing has now completed 10% of the raw ballot counting, and the State Senate's lease on the Madhouse on McDowell ends Friday.  So good job in getting that aspect of the job done in a timely manner.  Real strong commitment to excellence and best-in-class performance in both planning and execution.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2021/05/07/arizona-audit-plan-visit-voters-homes-dropped-fann-tells-doj/4996668001/

**Please join me in a moment of ruminative silence, as we all consider the glory of a movie entitled Arizonans vs Cyber Ninjas, and how no movie since Tremors could ever surpass such a spectacle.  Rated R for violence, language and slapstick comedy.

3 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

This is how we got into the mass extinction event we're in right now, it's just too expensive to do the right thing.  We will leave this place an empty stone.

You know, I generally appreciate this kind of hyperbole, but after a certain length of time the earth will be just fine.

It'll just be something else's turn.

I'm leaning towards cephalopods

20 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Not the crabs? A lot of evolution ends up in a crab shape

See everybody?

Fury Resurrected gets it. Bottom sea creatures end up as crab people picking through the remnants of a previous age.

Things have a way of coming together. 

I believe it's called convergent evolution.

Like how butterflies and bats both have wings. 

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

You know, I generally appreciate this kind of hyperbole, but after a certain length of time the earth will be just fine.

You are selling humanity short. Maybe we will invent a substance that will wipe out all life in the long term. We have invented chemicals with unwanted side effects that last forever after all. 

We're about due for the World to move on without us.

The typical rate of extinction differs for different groups of organisms. Mammals, for instance, have an average species "lifespan" from origination to extinction of about 1 million years, although some species persist for as long as 10 million years. There are about 5,000 known mammalian species alive at present.

8 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

You're not wrong, but if we want to kill ourselves there's no reason to make it a mass murder / suicide and take out a bunch of other species with us.  

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

. Imagine 200 M people in the US, whatever section you want, the whole east coast, waking up one day and finding out that there is 50% less fuel for their part of the country. What the hell do you think the US would do if that happened?

I dunno, everytime the US invades a country because of oil or backs dictators because of economic reasons I think it's shitty and say so.  I sure as hell wouldn't be cheering on a fucking pipeline.

So back to something I brought up a few days ago, I saw the headline this morning that Dogecoin's value dropped by 30% over the weekend, largely because Musk joked about how it's obviously funny money. These new cryptocurrencies have to be regulated quickly, otherwise a lot of clueless low end investors are going to be really hurt by these massive swings. I read an article a few weeks ago about a family that sold their house to invest in them and shortly after they took a huge dip, basically leaving said family ruined. 

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Your argument won't find sympathy here in the USA, because, as mentioned previously, but probably not noticed in Canada.

"Gasoline and oil prices rise as a U.S. pipeline remains shut after cyberattack."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/05/10/business/stock-market-today#gasoline-and-oil-prices-rise-as-a-us-pipeline-remains-shut-after-cyberattack

Yes indeed -- this is an interconnected world, just starting with the effect of the fluttering of a butterfly's wings having consequences thousands of miles away.

58 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

These new cryptocurrencies have to be regulated quickly, otherwise a lot of clueless low end investors are going to be really hurt by these massive swings.

There's already a rather tragic genre of twitter meme of collages of people either deluding themselves that their last savings are gonna come back in a few days when those won over by SNL have time to create an account, or begging Musk to say something more in the hope that it boosts the value of the coin.

Archived