US Politics: Biden Hood - Prince of Plebs

DMC

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

So looks like Rahm Emanuel is finally going to get a job in the Biden administration.  As ambassador to Japan.

Well, anyone who wanted Rahm on the other side of the planet from them is getting their wish.

Except the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs. And a few hapless US State Department employees; they're taking one for the team.

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

It's not hard to understand, it's just that you linked them together with a series of bizarre segues. Like the first piece you linked doesn't connect at all with the second one. There's nothing economic about the first one - it's just a clickbaity article about one set of people tired of one circumstance moaning about another set of people overwhelmed by another, neither of whom are employers, lawmakers, or intrinsically Trump voters or anything like that (perhaps you didn't read it?), so your reading it and declaring your contempt for something the article just wans't about was weird.

And the restauranteur is a moaning git, but very carefuly didn't blame the workers for not coming back in the article (perhaps you didn't read it?), and in any case while he is in Florida this is happening all over so linking that phenomenon to Southern racism was... weird.

No it is not.  Right to work / no unions, Jim Crow labor laws and slavery are the benchmarks for paying labor in the US.  Just as the wages paid in Haiti, are the bench mark for capitalists' aspiration throughout the world. Something you may understand better if you recall Poland's independence / Solidarity movement and the unions and their capacity to carry out lengthy work stoppages and strikes.

Nor did you read the other links provided.  But if you read the comments, even a few of them, to the one article you looked at, you will see why that guy is objectionable in the extreme: He's complaining about labor shortages and wages while opening multiple brand new restaurants all at the same time, with money his company got as federal no-interest loans, or non-repayable loans that are given out to the industry.  Yet those southern states are passing laws to stop unemployment compensation and make it illegal for people to refuse to work for pennies and no benefits.

Again, what is so hard for you to understand these matters are related? Others here also explained this to you, but well, your personal issues whatever they may be, evidently dismissed them.

Nor did you read the other links.

33 minutes ago, Fez said:

Well, anyone who wanted Rahm on the other side of the planet from them is getting their wish.

Except the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs. And a few hapless US State Department employees; they're taking one for the team.

You are leaving out American Samoa. He is now infact closer to them than he has ever been.

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You are leaving out American Samoa. He is now infact closer to them than he has ever been.

Biden really missed the mark. With all the new space tourism starting up, there's some obvious choice spots he could have been sent.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Something you may understand better if you recall Poland's independence / Solidarity movement and the unions and their capacity to carry out lengthy work stoppages and strikes.

:laugh: Mate, my parents were in the independence movement. I understand it fine.

You still haven't explained why any of this links back to the first article you posted which has nothing to do with labour laws or Florida or dixieland or wanting to ban refusing work, and is literally only about one kind of worker expressing frustration about another set of workers expressing frustration.

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I have brought up indigenous impact to you several times here and you’ve ignored it every single time. How is Enbridge such a great not evil company when they are, right now today, trying to ram Line 3 through indigenous lands that have been saying for years they do not want it on their land and wasting precious legal resources to fight to stop it? It is absolutely being forced onto what is supposed to be a sovereign nation who will assume all the risk of it fails, own the land, and don’t want it there. How is this even remotely acceptable to you?

Of course I’m ignoring it. The rights of indigenous peoples is a whole thread of it’s own, and a huge topic in Canada. The indigenous people of Minnesota can fight Enbridge night and day as far as I’m concerned. They are certainly fighting pipelines in Canada and the government has repeatedly forced the oil sector into consultations with indigenous peoples. My topic of discussion, however, is  about Whitmer trying to strangle the economy of Canada. 

12 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

My topic of discussion, however, is  about Whitmer trying to strangle the economy of Canada. 

Well, in that respect, Whitmer is receiving support from Canadian indigenous communities as well..

Whitmer, who campaigned on shutting down the pipeline, has received support from Democratic attorneys general as well environmental campaigners and Indigenous communities on both sides of the border.

“Should anything that’s being transported in these 67-year-old pipelines get into the Great Lakes, it would have devastating effects and irreparable consequences,” said the Anishinabek Nation grand council chief, Glen Hare, who represents 39 First Nations across Ontario.

You're portraying Whitmer as this action villain when she campaigned on the issue three years ago, announced the plan/deadline in November, and has tried to shut it down twice before already.  No is getting caught off guard here and Whitmer's intent is obviously not to "terrorize" Canada.

I think encasing the pipeline in a tunnel would be a good compromise (although I suspect still not acceptable to many indigenous people based on lawsuits against it), but the timeline on that appears a bit murky.

Eventually I believe this will end up in the Supreme Court because of this 1977 treaty, so Enbridge may be allowed to run the pipeline based on the SC composition right now. Still, maybe it will accelerate the building of the tunnel.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

:laugh: Mate, my parents were in the independence movement. I understand it fine.

You still haven't explained why any of this links back to the first article you posted which has nothing to do with labour laws or Florida or dixieland or wanting to ban refusing work, and is literally only about one kind of worker expressing frustration about another set of workers expressing frustration.

Good for your parents!

So it is puzzling as hell why you can't see the connections between an employer saying he won't pay higher wages, yet can't find labor for his government subsidized new restaurants and states pass laws to take away unemployment to force people to work for those wages that don't support a single person, much less a family, in very unsafe conditions as well as abusive ones.

11 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Israel appears bound and determined to kick off WW3. What the fuck is going on? Is this some kind of power play by Netanyahu to garner support from the hard right so he can form a government? 

They burned al-Aqsa, during Ramadan (!) and a bunch of idiots were in the streets cheering it on. There will be massive retaliations.

WW3 is hyperbolic, but what's happening is horrific and we're moving in the exact wrong direction. Peace in the region increasingly feels impossible unless Israel completely changes course on a great number of issues.

On 5/8/2021 at 4:16 PM, Wilbur said:

Cyber Ninjas is now asking the county to provide them with the Maricopa County routers.  They also seem to understand that they might also get and use images of the routers, although their request was written by someone with little or no IT vocabulary, so I am just interpreting their request.

Cyber Ninjas also wants the county to provide them with firmware and admin passwords for the Dominion Voting Systems ballot machines.  Since Maricopa County is a customer of Dominion, and not Dominion itself, Maricopa County doesn't have these passwords to give them, but Cyber Ninja spokespeople are now saying that they cannot perform a complete audit without this level of access, and that the county is not cooperating.

The State Senate Republicans and Cyber Ninjas have now received notices from the following unrelated professional groups, begging them to stop requesting the county routers and the Dominion voting machine passwords.

• Voting Works (nonpartisan nonprofit for open source election technology)
  • International Computer Science Institute
  • UC Berkeley
  • U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency
  • University of Michigan

This is in addition to additional statements from the following interested parties.

• Arizona Attorney General
  • Maricopa County Attorney General
  • Maricopa County Elections Department
  • Maricopa County Supervisors

(Personally, I would just point out that neither of those items is listed in the Cyber Ninjas court-filed work plan and tell them to piss up a rope.  If you don't plan for it, you don't get it.  Stop expanding the audit scope and focus on the elements of your plan that the courts will still allow you to perform.)

Everyone in the list above agrees that the Cyber Ninjas current request for routers and voting machine firmware passwords is pointless, and since the Maricopa County elections results have been audited TWICE prior to the Cyber Ninjas, and the testing objective to determine whether or not the voting machines were connected to the internet during the election has already been achieve TWICE without using either of these, maybe Cyber Ninjas is barking up the wrong tree.

But no, the State Senate Republicans have doubled down and announced that the plan to summon the Maricopa County Supervisors to explain again why they won't provide the one and can't provide the other.  It is like a toddler demanding that you give them the moon.

Furthermore, the experts in the first list above have provided a rational set of reasons why giving either of the two items to a private entity is bad, and how such an action could potentially make future elections less secure.  However, rational arguments based on actual technological knowledge don't seem to interest the State Senate Republicans, and based on reading the Cyber Ninjas' work plan, I don't think that they have the experience to understand such reasoning.

In addition, it looks like we will also have the Cyber Ninjas back in the Coliseum to continue The Search for Bamboo after graduations are done and throughout the month of June.  Their spokesman says that they plan to "really ramp up" their volunteer counters, as they have only counted 300,000 of the 2.1 million ballots cast.  I have a hard time believing that when the temperatures are in the triple digits a lot of new volunteers are going to want to trundle down to the State Fairgrounds every day to sit around examining pieces of paper with a jeweler's loupe for free.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2021/05/11/experts-say-giving-maricopa-county-routers-arizona-senates-election-auditors-bad-precedent/4995728001/

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/11/biden-administration-approves-first-major-us-offshore-windfarm

The approval of the project, which will generate about 800 megawatts of energy, enough to power around 400,000 homes and businesses, is a boost to Biden’s agenda of ramping up renewable energy production across the US in order to confront the climate crisis.

Ultimately the goal is to get to 30 gigawatts, but this is a great start, We have such a large coastline, its a shame offshore wind hasnt taken off in the US till now.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Good for your parents!

So it is puzzling as hell why you can't see the connections between an employer saying he won't pay higher wages, yet can't find labor for his government subsidized new restaurants and states pass laws to take away unemployment to force people to work for those wages that don't support a single person, much less a family, in very unsafe conditions as well as abusive ones.

It's genuinely quite funny how you're studiously ignoring my question about what your first link and complaint had to do with anything you were talking about and focusing on the restauranteur which obviously makes some kind of sense thematically it was just a forced and awkward segue from that article in particular.

4 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Israel appears bound and determined to kick off WW3. What the fuck is going on? Is this some kind of power play by Netanyahu to garner support from the hard right so he can form a government?

I'd be completely Dunning-Krugering if I tried to make a real assessment but I feel like when 'power play by Netenyahu' is one of the options on the table to answer a question it's guaranteed to be at least part of the reason behind the actual answer.

9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Of course I’m ignoring it. The rights of indigenous peoples is a whole thread of it’s own, and a huge topic in Canada. The indigenous people of Minnesota can fight Enbridge night and day as far as I’m concerned. They are certainly fighting pipelines in Canada and the government has repeatedly forced the oil sector into consultations with indigenous peoples. My topic of discussion, however, is  about Whitmer trying to strangle the economy of Canada. 

It’s an essential piece of the discussion when arguing whether Enbridge is a bad actor as a company or not. It is also NOT absent from the discussion of Line 4 because Bad River doesn’t want it on their lands. The Chippewa bands of Ottawa don’t want it. None of the indigenous nations along or near this pipeline want it. You are advocating forcing them anyway.

7 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

It’s an essential piece of the discussion when arguing whether Enbridge is a bad actor as a company or not. It is also NOT absent from the discussion of Line 4 because Bad River doesn’t want it on their lands. The Chippewa bands of Ottawa don’t want it. None of the indigenous nations along or near this pipeline want it. You are advocating forcing them anyway.

Under the Canadian Constitution, Indigenous rights cannot  be ignored when doing such stuff as deciding where pipelines or other infrastructure goes. Enbridge or any other actor must deal with them. We are not the US. 

When I was a union exec, the workers I represented would complain about some policy or issue. I would then ask them to sign a grievance so we could pursue  the issue for them. Thmajor frustration I had was that so few would step up and sign. We had a very good record of winning grievances against the employer but still most employees would still just let things slide even to their own detriment. People are people and standing up to authority is a huge fear for most of us. 

Btw, our local was known for the quantity and intensity of our grievances, the bad managers whose careers we shortened, and the money we got for contract and human rights  violations. That was a fun time.

Archived