NFL 2021 - Draft Day or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pick

Mr. Chatywin et al.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

Certainly.  I just think Monday's press conference Shanahan seemed done with Garoppolo, regardless of who they picked.  And not just the hilariously maudlin line.  Honestly, I'm not sure how great of an idea it is to keep both on the team - gone back and forth on this since they made they trade.  Could get really awkward real quick.  If it was New York it'd be untenable.

Jimmy seems like a good guy who could rise above the pettiness of the situation and I would hope the Niners would treat him respectfully in kind. Lance is a great pick, but he needs some time to get ready. There's no reason to trade jimmy right away given his market value is all over the place and the most likely buyers just drafted the next QB they're going to build around. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It is still kinda amazing to me that the raiders had a rep for always wasting picks on super fast not terribly talented wrs, and yet they passed on both megatron and fitzgerald.  

Well, they weren't fast enough to make up for being far too talented.  (Also, wow, I would not have guessed Fitz was the third pick.)

Twenty young men are selected and then their physical measurements and collegiate statistics are analyzed to perceive the selection value.

On the 21st pick the analysis is of the young man's biography and his mother's employment status.

Does not inspire confidence in pick.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

He's all yours!

So the Vikings traded back from 14 to 23 and grabbed two valuable picks to take the third best OT prospect after the second best one went a pick ahead of them. That's solid.

6 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

On the 21st pick the analysis is of the young man's biography and his mother's employment status.

Does not inspire confidence in pick.

I suppose this depends on the mother's employment status.

I guess I should be happy about the Pats landing Mac Jones at #15; some boards had him as the #3 QB and/or SF taking him.  So I should feel good, right?  The Pats get a system QB who has experience with systems like Belichick's, and with a QB guru like McDaniels to boot?  That's good, right?

S...sure... but who is he throwing to?  What can he do with the "talent" the Pats have around him?  Nelson Agholor is the best pass-catcher on the team behind only James White, a RB.  After that?  Gunner Olszewski?  Jakobi Meyers?  Are we still pretending N'Keal Harry will be something?  Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry will be prime targets, but Henry was 12th in yards and had a whopping 4 TDs in 2020; Smith had 8 Td which is legitimately great, but 456 yards (20th) and he played a full 16 games.  Like... okay... I ... I guess... 

And Agholor is REALLY underwhelming - and has more than a drop or two in his career. 

Then again... Jones doesn't need to do it all right now; he can learn the system, get comfortable with people and wait for the Pats to, one day, draft a blue-chip WR ... something they have not done since Irvin Fryer.  I'm not kidding.  

Regardless, it seems like a good pick that the Pats cannot regret taking atm.  

43 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

I guess I should be happy about the Pats landing Mac Jones at #15; some boards had him as the #3 QB and/or SF taking him.  So I should feel good, right?  The Pats get a system QB who has experience with systems like Belichick's, and with a QB guru like McDaniels to boot?  That's good, right?

S...sure... but who is he throwing to?  What can he do with the "talent" the Pats have around him?  Nelson Agholor is the best pass-catcher on the team behind only James White, a RB.  After that?  Gunner Olszewski?  Jakobi Meyers?  Are we still pretending N'Keal Harry will be something?  Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry will be prime targets, but Henry was 12th in yards and had a whopping 4 TDs in 2020; Smith had 8 Td which is legitimately great, but 456 yards (20th) and he played a full 16 games.  Like... okay... I ... I guess... 

And Agholor is REALLY underwhelming - and has more than a drop or two in his career. 

Then again... Jones doesn't need to do it all right now; he can learn the system, get comfortable with people and wait for the Pats to, one day, draft a blue-chip WR ... something they have not done since Irvin Fryer.  I'm not kidding.  

Regardless, it seems like a good pick that the Pats cannot regret taking atm.  

Sounds like Cam is still the starter though, so those are really next year's problem, and you can still get good WRs in TE in the next few rounds.

Sounds like the Lions landed a freakishly talented Offensive lineman in Sewel so I'm good with waiting on wr's till these 2nd and 3rd rounds.

A lot of the summations on Sewell used descriptors like -Violent- and -Mauler- and -That big, shouldn't be able to move like that-

Lovin that.

Also really like the Bears stealing Fields, he's gonna be the best QB they've had in like forever imo.

19 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Sounds like the Lions landed a freakishly talented Offensive lineman in Sewel so I'm good with waiting on wr's till these 2nd and 3rd rounds.

A lot of the summations on Sewell used descriptors like -Violent- and -Mauler- and -That big, shouldn't be able to move like that-

Lovin that.

Also really like the Bears stealing Fields, he's gonna be the best QB they've had in like forever imo.

I think you're going to be thrilled with Sewell. Of course, they did try to trade up to 4 to get Chase ahead of the Bengals so there is that ;)

Yeah most of us were expecting them to go for one of the top rated WR's early but there are still some good receivers for the getting in round 2. I'm liking latching onto a cornerstone piece on our line that may pay dividends for years according to some of these reviews.

Archived