NFL 2021 - Draft Day or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pick

Mr. Chatywin et al.

22 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

The universe is aligning for this kid to drop a pass on the same play that Burrow gets David Carr'd back onto IR for another winter. Never change, Bungles. 

They should have drafted the amazing OT from the PAC 12 that’s grading out in the 30’s all preseason… :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

They should have drafted the amazing OT from the PAC 12 that’s grading out in the 30’s all preseason… :rolleyes:

He's getting Man Campbell'd. 

And yay! I've got Lamb in one league and Dak in two others. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I tease. The kid just needs to make a few live catches and get his confidence back up. Alternatively if he drops one or two more he may spiral into a realm of shattered souls from which he never recovers. 

(That's my Kent Davidson impression)

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Look, I absolutely loved Chase coming into the draft, but passing on Sewell for him is probably going to go into the books as one of the all time draft blunders.  They could have gotten Sewell and then Terrace Marshall, who may well end up being better than Chase, early in the second.

29 minutes ago, briantw said:

Look, I absolutely loved Chase coming into the draft, but passing on Sewell for him is probably going to go into the books as one of the all time draft blunders.  They could have gotten Sewell and then Terrace Marshall, who may well end up being better than Chase, early in the second.

I seriously doubt it. The Bengals have a very good young LT in Jonah Williams (he just needs to prove he can stay healthy), so I don’t blame them one bit for not wanting to use a top 5 pick on a RT (which is where Sewell would have played here). 

Terrace Marshall’s medicals would have made me very nervous had we taken him. He could have probably snuck into the first had those reports not come out right before the draft. 

19 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I seriously doubt it. The Bengals have a very good young LT in Jonah Williams (he just needs to prove he can stay healthy), so I don’t blame them one bit for not wanting to use a top 5 pick on a RT (which is where Sewell would have played here). 

Terrace Marshall’s medicals would have made me very nervous had we taken him. He could have probably snuck into the first had those reports not come out right before the draft. 

If you had drafted Sewell, Johan Williams would have been a RT.

And the Bengals have a bottom five OL that got Burrow murdered last year.  How you don't think they should have drafted a potentially generational LT is baffling to me.

I say this as a Browns fan who saw Baker Mayfield develop some seriously bad habits in 2019 due to a terrible offensive line that got him murdered before Andrew Berry fixed things in 2020 and saw the Browns win 11 games while Mayfield was a top five QB in the back half of the season. 

29 minutes ago, briantw said:

If you had drafted Sewell, Johan Williams would have been a RT.

And the Bengals have a bottom five OL that got Burrow murdered last year.  How you don't think they should have drafted a potentially generational LT is baffling to me.

I say this as a Browns fan who saw Baker Mayfield develop some seriously bad habits in 2019 due to a terrible offensive line that got him murdered before Andrew Berry fixed things in 2020 and saw the Browns win 11 games while Mayfield was a top five QB in the back half of the season. 

Nope. Jonah was an absolute stud at Alabama, and faced FAR better pass rushers in the SEC and college playoffs than Sewell ever has. The one and only time Sewell saw a dominant DL in college (Auburn) he struggled. He might end up becoming a great LT in the NFL at some point, but between his age (kid is only 20), and the level of competition he’s played against, he was never going to come in and play there right away on most teams. He’s not going to in Detroit, and he wouldn’t have here. And the “generational” stuff was always overblown. 

As for the rest of your post, ofc the Bengals needed to dismantle that OL. That’s why Bobby Hart, Michael Jordan (who gave up more pressures than any other OG in the league last year), and most importantly of all - - Jim Turner - - are all gone. Now, I would have liked them to do a little more in FA, but Reiff is a solid OT, and Jackson Carman and D’Ante Smith were both nice picks. I’m actually super high on the latter. Also, Frank Pollack is a really good OL coach. Other than Bill Callahan (still pissed you guys got him), there’s not many other guys I’d rather have. 

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

Man what a gut wrencher for us Cowboys fans. So close but you knew once Brady got the ball back it was over.

The camera showed him right after Dallas scored and he had that look with laser eyes and "oh ok, just wait" that strikes fear in me if I've bet against him.

@Nictarion, I think bigger picture, given how many pieces your team needs, going WR that high was a bad idea. I would have traded back several times to get as many top 100 picks as possible to revamp your depleted roster. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Nictarion, I think bigger picture, given how many pieces your team needs, going WR that high was a bad idea. I would have traded back several times to get as many top 100 picks as possible to revamp your depleted roster. 

Well, that’s a different conversation. And the offers might not have been there (especially after 3 QB’s had already come off the board). But at the end of the day I just can’t fault them much for wanting to reunite Burrow and Chase. They produced the best college season of all time together. It’s not like it was just any old QB/WR duo they were trying to put back together.

Personally, I said all along I’d be happy with any of Sewell, Chase, or Pitts. The only thing I didn’t really expect was how good Tee Higgins looks now. He came into TC looking like a completely  different player. And he was already pretty damn good last year anyway. But he looks like a true #1 right now. Had they known that maybe they wouldn’t have taken Chase to replace AJ Green. 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Makes me wonder if Grier and Flores are actually going to make this shit work.  Loved the trade back.  Hated the trade back up.  But if Waddle is at least as good as Chase and esp if Sewell is only decent then decent job this year. 

Though I still wonder if they had 6 year contracts if they'd trade back up for waddle.

I mean if youre in a toss up between a wr named swift or one named waddle who is more likely?

Game was more competitive than I expected.  Dak looked good, which has got to be a big relief for Dallas fans.  But even with Dak looking sharp AND the Bucs secondary getting injured AND good bounces resulting in 3 turnovers, they still couldn't steal the win.  If they play the Bucs in the playoffs, I doubt they'll be so lucky. 

Archived