NFL 2021 - Draft Day or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pick

Mr. Chatywin et al.

24 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

Signing a great running back to a nice long term contract is like buying the sales pitch from those overly aggressive window replacement salespeople who ask why you wouldn't buy the absolute best for your house.

The answer is because there are probably more important things to spend your money on.

Thing is, they didn't really sign him to a long-term contract.  It's a very team-friendly deal where they gave him more guaranteed money early in exchange for less long-term commitment and a lower yearly average.  It's similar to the deal they gave to John Johnson.  Like most RB contracts, it's basically a two year deal.  And given that Nick Chubb has been historically good since he entered the league, I'm good with it.

At any rate, Chubb almost certainly could have gotten more on the open market next year.  He took a discount to stay there, and that tells me the team is doing something right.

39 minutes ago, briantw said:

Thing is, they didn't really sign him to a long-term contract.  It's a very team-friendly deal where they gave him more guaranteed money early in exchange for less long-term commitment and a lower yearly average.  It's similar to the deal they gave to John Johnson.  Like most RB contracts, it's basically a two year deal.  And given that Nick Chubb has been historically good since he entered the league, I'm good with it.

At any rate, Chubb almost certainly could have gotten more on the open market next year.  He took a discount to stay there, and that tells me the team is doing something right.

So you're good paying a guy full salary for a half season?

I'm not diving into the stats above, but there are a lot of ways to cook those to look way better than they appear - but more important is that missing 4 games out of 9 part.

9 hours ago, Kaligator said:

So you're good paying a guy full salary for a half season?

I'm not diving into the stats above, but there are a lot of ways to cook those to look way better than they appear - but more important is that missing 4 games out of 9 part.

Every player in the NFL is an injury risk.  It’s the nature of the sport.  I don’t think Chubb missing four games is indicative of anything other than a guy got shoved down and rolled into his leg.  Those are also the only four games that Chubb has missed, and it wasn’t four games of nine.  He also played the final seven games of the season and in both playoff games. 

Davante Adams has missed multiple games in each of the last two years.  Is he not worth his contract?  Hell, you’d probably struggle to find a star who hasn’t missed at least two to four games over that stretch.  It’s the NFL. 

If I had to guess he asked to be released after being informed that Mac was going to start. It will be interesting to see where he’ll go. I can’t see a team where he’d start and actually have a chance to compete for anything meaningful.

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If I had to guess he asked to be released after being informed that Mac was going to start. It will be interesting to see where he’ll go. I can’t see a team where he’d start and actually have a chance to compete for anything meaningful.

I'm curious if WFT will pick him up.  Rivera obviously has a lot of history with Newton and they need a backup plan in case Fitz runs out of magic. 

18 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm curious if WFT will pick him up.  Rivera obviously has a lot of history with Newton and they need a backup plan in case Fitz runs out of magic. 

Idk if he’ll accept being a backup, but at the same time I can’t think of a team he’d start on that wouldn’t be terrible. Maybe he just waits until someone gets hurt?  

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Houston? I don’t think he’ll be making any memorable moments but is it a viable option with the chatter from Miami about Watson, and the possibility of Goodell putting him on his list?

He’d have to back up Taylor IMO if he lands there, and need some time to learn the playbook.

29 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Houston? I don’t think he’ll be making any memorable moments but is it a viable option with the chatter from Miami about Watson, and the possibility of Goodell putting him on his list?

He’d have to back up Taylor IMO if he lands there, and need some time to learn the playbook.

Probably as good a spot as any.

Depends on his mental state. He has been the Alpha his whole life and he is still relatively young so in his mind he may still see himself as such.

I doubt he's going to accept a backup job, and if he's smart he would accept a bad job that would set him up to fail. That's why I think he might wait around a while, and last I checked there weren't a lot of teams clamouring to get him before. Also, he never had a chance of beating this out when it comes to QB preferences in New England:

It has always struck me as a little strange that kickers have such uncertain careers.  There are so many kickers who have one or two good seasons and then just lose it.  It isn't like other positions where they're taking a ton of hits, it seems like it's mostly mental.  There are of course a few kickers who are consistently very good, but not that many.  The quarterback position is comparatively a LOT more stable.  If you're a top 10 quarterback under 35, there's a very good chance you'll be a top 10 quarterback in 5 years.  If you're a top 10 kicker, there's a good chance you'll be struggling to hold a job in just 2-3 years, let alone five. 

Archived