Covid 19-31 The Mutants Are Coming

Mlle. Zabzie

4 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

For those of you who know me on Facebook, you may be aware I had my 1st vaccine this morning.  I'm not posting on fb because that's far more public and I don't want to add to any vaccine negativity.

I had the Moderna Vaccine, and had an almost immediate reaction.  My heart raced, I had real difficulty in breathing and my oxygen levels dropped.

they gave me oxygen, laid me on the floor and injected me with something else,  everything returned to normal fairly quickly.  they kept me there for about an hour before they let me go home, although I was not allowed to drive myself home.

This is why they keep you for 15 mins observation.  If you are gonna react badly it will happen quickly and they can treat you immediately.

I'm fine now, apart for arm ache and a bit of a headache.  I don't know what exactly is going to happen with the 2nd shot  I think there is a trial happening about mixing the vaccines or if I need to have 2 shots of a different type.

I’m sorry you had a bad reaction, but hooray for vaccine and hooray for the immediate assistance.  I would call your physician about what they recommend re the second shot.  Might be to stay the course, but know you might need some extra assistance.  

1 minute ago, HoodedCrow said:

I would insist on a different one, in future. But, congratulations on being safer from Covid. And all your fellows are safer, too:)

It will be a different one.  the question is  will I have 1 or 2 shots of a different vaccine.

Even just one shot is pretty good protection.  If you'd told me back in October that the vaccines would have ~70% effectiveness (as we've seen with one shot), I would have been satisfied with that. 

24 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

Availability and accessibility.

Hah! It can’t just be availability and accessibility, all the other islands would have higher rates too. The US is awash in vaccine and numbers are dropping fast. Last week the state of North Dakota announced it would start vaccinating Canadian truck drivers and oil rig workers from Manitoba, and then a week later they added Saskatchewan truck drivers and oil rig workers, because they have so much vaccine that no one will take. I saw a map in the NYT and their take-up rate is one of the lowest in the country.

There’s a really united community thing going on. Or has the government made vaccines mandatory? 

22 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I think there is a trial happening about mixing the vaccines or if I need to have 2 shots of a different type.

Yes.  There is.  I think the results are supposed to be released before the end of May?  I'm pretty sure that they are testing a 1 for 1 replacement.  So it will be one dose of both vaccines (rather than 1 dose and then 2).  I imagine the first vaccine still works from an immunity point of view.

Sorry to hear you got that scare anyhow! :(

I doubt you'll get Pfizer either.  Moderna and Pfizer are supposed to be very similar.

2 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Maybe because they expected to be trapped on the peninsula otherwise? 

Actually.  I wonder what are the restrictions when crossing the Spanish border?

In other news, Seychelles is bringing back restrictions despite fully vaccinated over 60% of its population.  Variants?  Effectiveness of Sinopharm?  Relaxed restrictions too quickly?   Bad luck (only has a population of 100k)?  (It might be a combination of Sinopharm struggling with a particular variant.  The UAE said Sinopharm worked very well previously but this was before variants took over).

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Hah! It can’t just be availability and accessibility, all the other islands would have higher rates too. The US is awash in vaccine and numbers are dropping fast. Last week the state of North Dakota announced it would start vaccinating Canadian truck drivers and oil rig workers from Manitoba, and then a week later they added Saskatchewan truck drivers and oil rig workers, because they have so much vaccine that no one will take. I saw a map in the NYT and their take-up rate is one of the lowest in the country.

There’s a really united community thing going on. Or has the government made vaccines mandatory? 

There are probably other factors of course. But if there are vaccines available and they are easy to get uptake is going to grow. There are a number of places in the World with similar experiences, Maldives, Seychelles, maybe others. See the example that JoannaL gave. They just send a mobile team to the people and uptake was excellent.

Governments needs to be smarter at approaching this. If people have to miss work to get the vaccine, they might not take the later. If they are afraid they will miss work because of side effects, they might not take the vaccine. If people feel is too much paperwork or too complicated to make appointments they might not get the vaccine. Or they have to travel too far from the day-to-day errands. Etc. Governments are assuming that COVID19 is a big thing for everybody when for most of the people is just another complication in their difficult lives.

In the case of Gibraltar, I'd guess their economy is highly dependent at the individual level of traveling, so not being vaccinated is a thing it affects them directly.

2nd jab just received.
I did well, brief rush of adrenaline as I entered the hospital; but the phobia generally failed to materialise today.
Bus was fine, despite being busier than 12 weeks ago - no pair of seat had more than 1 person in it, everyone was masked and the windows were open for ventilation. The only problem today was the return journey bus being about 20 minutes late (and I was about an hour early, just missing the earlier bus) - Kingsholm is not the nicest neck of the woods to stand around randomly waiting for a bus.

Now we wait and see if I get any adverse effects - I've booked tomorrow off work; and I've cried off from walking rugby tonight, as you just know I'd be receiving lots of aggressive tackles to my left upper arm otherwise.

I must say, my wifi strength seems to have improved, and I saw an ad for those new SurfaceGo tablets - looks good...

1 hour ago, Padraig said:

In other news, Seychelles is bringing back restrictions despite fully vaccinated over 60% of its population.  Variants?  Effectiveness of Sinopharm?  Relaxed restrictions too quickly?   Bad luck (only has a population of 100k)?  (It might be a combination of Sinopharm struggling with a particular variant.  The UAE said Sinopharm worked very well previously but this was before variants took over).

Would be interesting to follow up the cohort, as I am sure they will be, but things to consider are as follows:

1. 2/3 of the cases were amongst people that were not vaccinated or had had 1 dose of the vaccine - Unvaccinated clearly having a higher chance of catching the disease.

2. Amongst the 1/3 of the people that got COVID even whilst being vaccinated, the WHO effectiveness data has Sinopharm's effectiveness against hospitalization at 80% - so hopefully in this cohort, we will see 80 percent of them not requiring hospitalization which is good news if the cohort that got infected are followed up, which hopefully they will be.

Hard to make conclusions regarding restrictions etc without knowing a little bit more than what we do know so far, especially as that WHO document states that >60 data is still needed, which we should be getting with ongoing trials. Good to see a responsive government going fast as opposed to twiddling their thumbs, us folk in the UK have no idea what that feels like.

2 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

For those of you who know me on Facebook, you may be aware I had my 1st vaccine this morning.  I'm not posting on fb because that's far more public and I don't want to add to any vaccine negativity.

I had the Moderna Vaccine, and had an almost immediate reaction.  My heart raced, I had real difficulty in breathing and my oxygen levels dropped.

they gave me oxygen, laid me on the floor and injected me with something else,  everything returned to normal fairly quickly.  they kept me there for about an hour before they let me go home, although I was not allowed to drive myself home.

This is why they keep you for 15 mins observation.  If you are gonna react badly it will happen quickly and they can treat you immediately.

I'm fine now, apart for arm ache and a bit of a headache.  I don't know what exactly is going to happen with the 2nd shot  I think there is a trial happening about mixing the vaccines or if I need to have 2 shots of a different type.

Glad you’re ok

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

....If people feel is too much paperwork or too complicated to make appointments they might not get the vaccine. Or they have to travel too far from the day-to-day errands. Etc. Governments are assuming that COVID19 is a big thing for everybody when for most of the people is just another complication in their difficult lives.

I have a story to share about too complicated....: so yesterday our German state opened priority group 3. The 60 years old , which should belong in this group had the possibility to get AZ for some weeks now, but the rest of the group had to wait. The description who belongs there is rather long and complicated (actually two pages) and includes - e.g. not so necessary medical personal (in administration), people with lesser health risks  and teachers. and also: " people who work in other institutions and companies of the critical infrastructure like pharmacies, power stations, waste water managemanet, public transportation and supermarkets"

so yesterday at the right time I was at the online portal when it opened with the new dates and booked quickly a date for vaccination for my husband who is in group 3. 10 min later the server crashed as it always does when there are new dates for booking.

Today, in the afternoon, my employer - an university- send around an email that -hoorah- our state considers us to be " people who work in other institutions of the critical infrastructure".  Cursing, I went back to the booking server and spent more than two hours there. But in the end I prevailed! and will get Moderna now in a city only 50 km from here in two weeks!

Continued mask wearing in the future of responsible people.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7019e3.htm?s_cid=mm7019e3_w

...a new report released by the CDC on Wednesday suggests that while vaccinations have helped massively reduce COVID-19 deaths, and will continue to offer robust protection and ease the way back to normalcy, Americans risk relaxing their personal behavior too quickly. Specifically, the agency released a set of models projecting COVID-19 outcomes based on varying levels of vaccination and what it calls non-pharmaceutical interventions, a.k.a. masks and social distancing. It found that easing up too quickly on the latter, even with vaccines rolling out, may produce surges in cases, hospitalizations, and deaths in the coming months.

The top-line implications of the report, it should be noted, are positive: the vaccines are having a huge impact, and the models anticipated a major drop in cases come July. They also anticipated relatively modest death increases, thanks to the vaccine. And the models’ conclusion that cases would spike this spring, even with high vaccination and moderate safety-measure use, also seems to be belied by declining real-world cases recently.

Still, the report warns about variants and pockets of low vaccination sparking surges, echoing expert concerns about uneven vaccine acceptance nationwide. And it suggests that our days of worrying about masks and social distancing are not close to over just yet.

8 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

hard-core antivaxxers (I've never met one) are just a tiny, loud and mostly privileged minority who haven't really felt the burden of the pandemic.

Many of them, as in the state of South Dakota have had family members, and even health professional family members DIE from covid.  Yet they WILL NOT MASK, and still even deny there is such a thing as covid, even as they themselves are dying of it.

You don't live in the US, thus have no idea. This isn't a tiny minority in the least.  And it IS POLITICAL, which means most churches in the red states are virulently anti-vax and anti-mask and and anti every safety and containment measure there is, because they are war on religion.

Read this to understand -- though it may be paywalled:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/05/05/masks-red-state-coronavirus/

3 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Oh no, glad you're okay! It sounds like it was likely an anaphylaxis reaction and they probably injected you with adrenaline, which is usually through an intramuscular injection. 

Hopefully they let you know about your second shot soon.

I am going to add another clarification to rotting sea cow's belief that anti-vaxxers a small minority and need not be worried about.  Massive Fox News and other extreme ultra nationalist, racist, misogynist, authoritarian media are relentlessly beating the drums against vaccination and against wearing masks. As said, not only the massive english language Fox News television network, but radio and many other media that don't use English as the first language -- you should hear the Spanish radio stations funded by Batisitano - Rubio Cuban types who are ALL IN W/orangedemon  -- but the pundits and mainstream media don't pay attention because 1) radio, which they don't believe in; 2) in Spanish, which they don't speak; 3) Latino audiences whose varieties they don't bother learning about or understanding.

Among the sorts of relentless exhortation that goes on are those by Tucker Carlson on Fox News, who advocates literally assaulting people who are wearing masks.

With such results in 3fers: racism, anti-safety and anti-woman. 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/05/asian-woman-attacked-hammer-nyc.html

An Asian woman was attacked with a hammer while walking with a friend in Hell’s Kitchen Sunday night, the latest in a string of violent attacks against Asian people across the country. Police are still searching for the suspect and have released surveillance footage of the assault, which happened around 8:40 p.m. on West 42nd Street.

The footage shows a female suspect approaching the two women on the sideway and lashing out at them with the hammer. The attacker reportedly yelled at the victim to take off her face mask.

They haven't gone away with Biden's election.  Far from it.  They are continuing, in ever more aggressive, overt violence to tear down the US and democracy. Anti-masks and vaccines are major public opportunities.

Also read this -- the anti-vaxxers are far from a tiny minority. Large percentages of the population have been brainwashed by their media choices on FB, twit, youtube, tv, radio, churches and the rest, making them cohorts in the army against diversity, democracy, environmental improvement, women doing anything but cook, clean and raise children, immigration -- well, you name it -- in favor of theocracy and authoritarian rule.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/05/covid-19-vaccine-politics-are-tearing-apart-families.html

Regarding vaccine side effects for Moderna and Pfizer-

Anecdotally, within our immediate family cluster of roughly a dozen or so, no-one has had so much as a sore arm, with ages rangeing from mid twenties to mid eighties.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I think it's because they had a large wave relatively recently (around Christmas/New Year). Out of around 33 000 people, over 4000 had a confirmed case of Covid, and 94 died. That might not sound like a lot, but they have the 2nd highest number of deaths per capita in the world. I'm guessing that in such a small community, everyone knew at least one person who died, and several who had severe cases.

All the studies and articles and personal appeals in the world cannot compare with a personal brush with it.

4 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Regarding vaccine side effets for Moderna and Pfizer-

Anecdotally, within our immediate family cluster of roughly a dozen or so, no-one has had so much as a sore arm, with ages rangeing from mid twenties to mid eighties.

That does not match the anecdotal experience of the ~20 people I've talked to about it.  I would say that average for the first dose is arm soreness, maybe minor fatigue, nothing serious.  Second dose is varies more person to person, with some feeling minor symptoms like the first dose, some more unpleasant symptoms like body soreness, severe headache and fatigue, lasting for 1-4 days after the shot. 

I do think it's interesting that when you have moderate/severe side effects from the vaccine that people fall into two camps.  Some people say "if the vaccine is this bad, thank god I didn't get COVID, it would have been terrible!", where others go the opposite direction, confident that COVID wouldn't have been this bad.  I am firmly in the first camp (my second shot is next week). 

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Would be interesting to follow up the cohort, as I am sure they will be, but things to consider are as follows:

1. 2/3 of the cases were amongst people that were not vaccinated or had had 1 dose of the vaccine - Unvaccinated clearly having a higher chance of catching the disease.

2. Amongst the 1/3 of the people that got COVID even whilst being vaccinated, the WHO effectiveness data has Sinopharm's effectiveness against hospitalization at 80% - so hopefully in this cohort, we will see 80 percent of them not requiring hospitalization which is good news if the cohort that got infected are followed up, which hopefully they will be.

Hard to make conclusions regarding restrictions etc without knowing a little bit more than what we do know so far, especially as that WHO document states that >60 data is still needed, which we should be getting with ongoing trials. Good to see a responsive government going fast as opposed to twiddling their thumbs, us folk in the UK have no idea what that feels like.

That makes a lot of sense.  Its a good case study for somebody.  And the WHO document is very interesting.  I think the WHO are supposed to be approving Sinopharm this week.  And Sinovac.  Possibly not for those over 60 though.  Not much data on that, as per that document.

As you say, it would be interesting to see what hospitalisations are like.  Vaccinations are still having a big effect.  Just need more quantification.

1 hour ago, JoannaL said:

I have a story to share about too complicated....: so yesterday our German state opened priority group 3. The 60 years old , which should belong in this group had the possibility to get AZ for some weeks now, but the rest of the group had to wait.

I was impressed that we avoided a web crash.  We are mainly doing age-cohorts now and they opened cohorts in 5 age groups, but rather than having everyone register at the same time, on Monday the 59 year olds could apply, on Tuesday those older than 58 could apply, on Wednesday those older than 57 could apply etc.   The actual appointments would follow the following week, so if you didn't register for a few days, no big deal.  (The big disadvantage is that it becomes a 2 step process rather than just get an appointment but at least people aren't frustrated).

31 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Also read this -- the anti-vaxxers are far from a tiny minority. Large percentages of the population have been brainwashed by their media choices on twit, youtube, tv, radio, churches and the rest, making them cohorts in the army against diversity, democracy, environmental improvement, women doing anything but cook, clean and raise children, immigration -- well, you name it -- in favor of theocracy and authoritarian rule.

I wonder how different the narrative would have been if Trump had won.

14 minutes ago, Padraig said:

That makes a lot of sense.  Its a good case study for somebody.  And the WHO document is very interesting.  I think the WHO are supposed to be approving Sinopharm this week.  And Sinovac.  Possibly not for those over 60 though.  Not much data on that, as per that document.

As you say, it would be interesting to see what hospitalisations are like.  Vaccinations are still having a big effect.  Just need more quantification.

I was impressed that we avoided a web crash.  We are mainly doing age-cohorts now and they opened cohorts in 5 age groups, but rather than having everyone register at the same time, on Monday the 59 year olds could apply, on Tuesday those older than 58 could apply, on Wednesday those older than 57 could apply etc.   The actual appointments would follow the following week, so if you didn't register for a few days, no big deal.  (The big disadvantage is that it becomes a 2 step process rather than just get an appointment but at least people aren't frustrated).

I wonder how different the narrative would have been if Trump had won.

The same, except even more intense, and EVERYWHERE, with unimaginable to you all ramped up overt violence at every sector of society, not just cops. And we wouldn't be vaccinated. We wouldn't have economic relief.  The hospitals would all be smoking ruins.

Archived