Covid 19-31 The Mutants Are Coming

Mlle. Zabzie

I just wish people would stop calling it side effects.  It leads to the idea that the vaccines are dangerous.  Blood clots are a side effect.  Fever, sniffles, soreness, fatigue are normal immune responses.  The vaccine "hesistant" use it as an excuse to not get it.  I can't talk sense into some of my friends.  A fever isn't thalidomide.  The logic fail is immense and calling immune response to be side effects is not helping!

So I just came back from my first shot of Moderna. Until now I  don't feel anything problematic except that my left arm is a little bit sore. The vaccination centre was buzzing with people and it was all really well organized and all went very smoothly.

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The US was administering 3.3 million vaccinations per day just last month? Recall that Biden reached his goal of 100m doses in 57 days rather than 100 days, which could only be accomplished after a slow rollout if the number per day easily exceeded 1 million, which it did for quite a while in the last few months.

I think he is talking on a per-capita basis. The US is much larger than Germany and its per-capita 7-day average rate topped out at roughly 1 dose per day per 100 people (given a population of 330-odd million, that's what the 3.3 million rate you quote works out to). Germany is currently at a 7-day rate of roughly 0.8 doses per day per 100 people, but it must be kept in mind that their share of people with a single dose is only about 30% (compared to about 44% for the US) and their rate of fully vaccinated people is dramatically lower at only 8.5% (compared to 32% for the US). So they're going fast, but it is in some sense easier because their current state is nearly their whole population needing at least one more dose and more than two thirds needing both doses.

28 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I just wish people would stop calling it side effects.  It leads to the idea that the vaccines are dangerous.  Blood clots are a side effect.  Fever, sniffles, soreness, fatigue are normal immune responses.  The vaccine "hesistant" use it as an excuse to not get it.  I can't talk sense into some of my friends.  A fever isn't thalidomide.  The logic fail is immense and calling immune response to be side effects is not helping!

I know what you are trying to say but if I look at the" Nebenwirkungen"(Side effects in German ) of the date sheet I downloaded yesterday by scanning the code on my partners vaccinaton card the things you don't want to call side effects are listed. You are not helping the pro-vax cause with your approach because you are wrong. 

34 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

The correct term is "adverse effect" and it doesn't matter how severe, normal or otherwise it is, if it's an effect, and unpleasant, it's an adverse effect.

Whether you like it or not, whether it's helpful or not, it's still the correct terminology

Goddamit could Joe Rogan just shut the hell up?

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

So no one else here had/has the metallic taste in your mouth?  I guess it means the 5G signal is going to be strong in me.  :dunno:

The current wait for the 2nd dose in Ontario is 112 days last I checked -- August 25th for me.  Which I'm okay with but some of my friends are up in arms about.

It will likely change in 112 days. 

I was told 12 weeks for AZ, but no one knows what the supply will be like. Health Canada's website says 4-12 weeks. I think once I hit week 6 I'll start looking for a walk-in for my second dose.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Goddamit could Joe Rogan just shut the hell up?

Still blows my mind that the janitor from News Radio is now worth over $100m and people take him seriously. Not everything he says is wrong, but take everything he says with a huge grain of salt.

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The current wait for the 2nd dose in Ontario is 112 days last I checked -- August 25th for me.  Which I'm okay with but some of my friends are up in arms about.

Wait, this is for Pfizer, not for AZ? That's quite risky, people's immune response will go down way before they get their 2nd shot. Thankfully, it'll be summer so it's a bit less risky than if it occurred 6 months later...

Anything for tourists, says the mayor.

https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-should-offer-covid-shots-tourists-popular-sites-de-blasio-says

Tourists visiting New York City this year ought to be able to score the ultimate souvenir of a COVID-19 vaccine shot, Mayor Bill de Blasio proposed Thursday.

De Blasio said he’d like the health department to launch a program with vaccination stations at popular tourist sites in Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge Park and around the city, offering Johnson & Johnson's single shot to any visitors. The city can currently only give doses to non-residents that can prove they work or study in the boroughs.

“We want to go the extra mile and make it easy for tourists if they’re here—get vaccinated while you're here. It makes sense to put mobile vaccination sites where the tourists are,” de Blasio said at his press briefing Thursday.

18 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

Wait, this is for Pfizer, not for AZ? That's quite risky, people's immune response will go down way before they get their 2nd shot. Thankfully, it'll be summer so it's a bit less risky than if it occurred 6 months later...

It doesn’t seem so.

On 5/4/2021 at 3:38 AM, Altherion said:

Looks like vaccines for teens in the US are coming sooner rather than later:

This should also temporarily revive the flagging vaccination rates as all of those people with teens who want the vaccine try to get it.

Good news! You must be praising God daily that you got a real president sworn in this year.

4 hours ago, Altherion said:

I think he is talking on a per-capita basis. The US is much larger than Germany and its per-capita 7-day average rate topped out at roughly 1 dose per day per 100 people (given a population of 330-odd million, that's what the 3.3 million rate you quote works out to). Germany is currently at a 7-day rate of roughly 0.8 doses per day per 100 people, but it must be kept in mind that their share of people with a single dose is only about 30% (compared to about 44% for the US) and their rate of fully vaccinated people is dramatically lower at only 8.5% (compared to 32% for the US). So they're going fast, but it is in some sense easier because their current state is nearly their whole population needing at least one more dose and more than two thirds needing both doses.

Right.  Not sure did any other large country manage an average rate of 1 dose per 100 people (on average).  It's very strong.  In theory, Germany could still hit that level.  It is probably the the country with the highest rate right now (of the large countries), its trend is still on an upwards curve and supplies will keep increasing.  But as you say, eventually demand will overtake supply (which is where the US is right now).

China has managed the highest volume rate.  Over 7m per day!

I see Germany is now allowing anyone that wants AZ to get it also.  That's a reasonable approach.

Qatar has reported the effectiveness of Pfizer against the South African variant in Qatar (72-75%).  That is still pretty impressive.  And it is still very effective against severe COVID.

The study found that, despite the prevalence of the variants, the vaccine was still highly effective at preventing infection. Two weeks after the second dose, the Pfizer vaccine’s effectiveness against infection from the B.1.1.7 variant ranged from 87-89.5%. Against the B.1.351 variant it ranged from 72.1-75%. More promising still, the vaccine was 97.4% effective at preventing severe or fatal Covid-19 from any SARS-CoV-2 virus, including both variants. 

Novavax is around 50% against the South African variant, so you'd definitely take 72%.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/05/06/vaccines-vs-variants-three-new-studies-show-the-effectiveness-of-pfizer-and-moderna-vaccines/?sh=310472af5c33

2 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

Yes, the Pfizer.  I had doubts about the supply of AZ in Ontario being available to give second shots to all who got a first AZ shot.  I didn't have to wait long, living in probably the worst hotspot postal codes in Canada, there was maybe two weeks between AZ going to 40+ and Pfizer going to 45+ here.

The 3 week interval between mRNA shots were arbitrary, because that's the shortest interval researchers felt comfortable with during the trials -- likely because it can take 3 weeks for covid to show up.  There is absolutely no expectation that is the most effective interval.  Most vaccines for other diseases are 5-6 months interval for a booster.  It would be strange if these are different.  I will not be  surprised at some time they determine it should be 5-6 months for all of them.  But we don't know yet.

8 hours ago, Padraig said:

Right.  Not sure did any other large country manage an average rate of 1 dose per 100 people (on average).  It's very strong.  In theory, Germany could still hit that level.  It is probably the the country with the highest rate right now (of the large countries), its trend is still on an upwards curve and supplies will keep increasing.  But as you say, eventually demand will overtake supply (which is where the US is right now).

It will not get better in May, because supply will not increase. But in June we have a reasonable chance to hit 1 dose per 100 people. this is also when they plan to open vaccination for all.

"I see Germany is now allowing anyone that wants AZ to get it also.  That's a reasonable approach. "

Its the AZ endgame. But not a lot of people will take it because in June the priorisation will be over and if you get biontech in June you are faster than  with AZ in May . The second jab for Biontech is after 6 weeks (the reason for this being that it is the longest intervall the producer recommended so I am wondering how other countries have longer intervalls?) and for AZ after 12 weeks. there are discussions now to shorten the AZ second jab intervall to make it more attractive, but as far as I know there arent any scientific reasons to do so.

15 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

That's a pretty big statement - have you anything to back it up?

It's certainly not how human immunity usually works.
Even if so - it'd be dropping from a pretty big high. IIRC AZ Immunity is up around 80%, 6 weeks after the first shot; and still climbing at that point.

15 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

I would point out that the province of Quebec decided almost from the start to give one dose only to as many people as possible, only starting second doses after three months. As more information about the vaccines came out, federal authorities decided four months was safe so Quebec moved out to four months as well. Second vaccines have only been given since mid April and no disasters have occurred, the vaccine remains 80% effective. I think so far in all of Canada, with 14 M doses administered, only 2,300 people who received a vaccine dose have developed Covid-19. 

I think the federal government’s four-month decision was partly based on decades of experience with other vaccines, as Which Tyler pointed out.

20 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Still blows my mind that the janitor from News Radio is now worth over $100m and people take him seriously. Not everything he says is wrong, but take everything he says with a huge grain of salt.

Sitting in the waiting room after getting my second shot of Pfizer. The place is pretty empty. When I got my first in early April, it was packed, with a good 15 to 20 min wait in line? Now, I just walked in and got my shot within 5 min. Pretty steep drop off in people.

My arm was incredibly sore for about two days after the first, so I guess I'll see what the second one brings today and tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll start getting my marching orders from Bill Gates via my boosted 5G signal sometime soon.

Archived