Covid 19-31 The Mutants Are Coming

Mlle. Zabzie

I’m just watching The Great British Baking Show, the season finale in which Rahul wins. In the after-update bit that they do, his parents fly in from India to spend some time with him.

I wonder how his parents are.

Considering some reports I've seen that 20% of people have a significant adverse reaction, and considering the suspicion that reactions are more violent when people already got covid, one can wonder if most of those with severe reactions (excepted those whose immune system is quite wonky to begin with) aren't in fact people who either had asymptomatic covid or just assumed it was something else. We should check if severe vaccine reactions are more frequent in some countries with lower testing levels, for instance. I wouldn't be surprised if 15% of any given Western country already got covid without getting tested for it - whether they were aware of it or not.

2nd Shot Update: Arm is pretty sore and I feel a bit lethargic, but otherwise, feeling pretty decent today.

Also, finally got my standing orders from Lord Master Gates during my dreams last night. 3,000 soros bucks were deposited in my account and I'm supposed to meet up with the local Antifa Super Soldier Squad tomorrow. We're all set to subvert democracy by going on Twitter and reddit and calling racist chuds... racist chuds.

So everyone, go get your vaccine so we can all get together and commit a Communism!

Father got tested for antibodies and it seems that the vaccine produced a faaaar higher rate of antibodies than a mild covid had for me. 
On the other hand, a friend developed some strange lymphatic symptoms after her vaccination and it’s really taking a toll on her mentally - and physically too. 
I think my aunt had her second shot already and perhaps my uncle too, they are both perfectly fine. 

sister finally signed up for a vaccine and is getting it on Tuesday. 

Looking at excess death numbers in Europe it is really extreme how well the natural social distancing of the Finns and the Norwegians seems to work. Things did not work that well in Sweden although they had most deaths in the first wave unlike Austria.

https://www.euromomo.eu/

My uncle who has long covid got his first and only shot. He got out of the hospital 6 months ago and the symptoms have not improved by much.

At least on the side of my extended family the takes things serious all people except me and my mothers partner had the first shot now and he has a date already. I have not interacted with the others much and actually dunno if they changed their minds.

33 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Looking at excess death numbers in Europe it is really extreme how well the natural social distancing of the Finns and the Norwegians seems to work. Things did not work that well in Sweden although they had most deaths in the first wave unlike Austria

Sweden's excess mortality really isn't all that bad, it gets used as a poster child for those for and against extreme lockdowns. It hasn't fared as well as some of it's neigbours, but there are also other factors to consider, but it's also done better than many of the other european countries who went into a series of extreme lockdowns. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Sweden's excess mortality really isn't all that bad, it gets used as a poster child for those for and against extreme lockdowns. It hasn't fared as well as some of it's neigbours, but there are also other factors to consider, but it's also done better than many of the other european countries who went into a series of extreme lockdowns. 

Well Austria had severe lockdowns on paper but a significant group of people did not give a shit and enforcement was really lacking. The rules on paper are pretty much worthless in countries with no significant enforcement. The Swedes I know seem to have followed the recommendations they had far more than most Austrians I know followed the rules and the Swedes had far higher excess death numbers during the first wave while we had our only real lockdown during the first wave with high compliance(as proven by mobile phone tracking).

However we had differnt rules for different parts of the country in the last few months and is was clearly noticeable that actually enforceable stuff like closing schools works pretty well for lowering the numbers. 

Ugh, hard to hear Dr. Fauci on Meet the Press say it's possible we'll need to wear masks for years seasonally. I'm personally not all that bothered, outside of how this continues to affect dating when you're single, but there's no way the worst of us will go along with it which will likely further exacerbate things.

Sigh.

What happened with covid-19?  Why did it happen?

THE PREMONITION
A Pandemic Story
By Michael Lewis

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/06/books/review/the-premonition-michael-lewis.html

....We do not yet know how the movie ends. But Lewis, whose book is among the first wave of narrative accounts of the pandemic, is more interested in how it began. Believed to be the rich country best prepared for a pandemic, we ended up with almost a fifth of the world’s Covid deaths. Popular blame has centered, not undeservedly, on former President Donald Trump, who ignored his advisers’ warnings, publicly downplayed Covid’s dangers in the hopes of preserving his re-election chances and left states to fend for themselves. But Lewis has a different thesis. As one character puts it, “Trump was a comorbidity.” The rot ran deep through the American system of public health, and in particular the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, once considered a crown jewel of American government....

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ugh, hard to hear Dr. Fauci on Meet the Press say it's possible we'll need to wear masks for years seasonally. I'm personally not all that bothered, outside of how this continues to affect dating when you're single, but there's no way the worst of us will go along with it which will likely further exacerbate things.

Sigh.

Masks? What masks?

Restaurants are not even enforcing them for their waiting staff around here anymore. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sigh.

What was his reasoning?

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

What was his reasoning?

He is talking about general health practices.  Not so much that we need to do things but that we could.  In Asian countries masks were much more prevalent pre-COVID.   I'd be curious to see if that point of view gets any traction in the Western world.

“I think people have gotten used to the fact that wearing masks, clearly if you look at the data it diminishes respiratory diseases, we’ve had practically a non-existent flu season this year merely because people were doing the kinds of public health things that were directed predominately against Covid-19,” Fauci said during an interview on NBC Sunday program “Meet the Press.”

“So it is conceivable that as we go on a year or two or more from now that during certain seasonal periods when you have respiratory borne viruses like the flu, people might actually elect to wear masks to diminish the likelihood that you’ll spread these respiratory borne diseases,” he added.

11 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Looking at excess death numbers in Europe it is really extreme how well the natural social distancing of the Finns and the Norwegians seems to work. Things did not work that well in Sweden although they had most deaths in the first wave unlike Austria.

It's difficult to compare countries but you can definitely say that (in Europe), Finland, Norway and Iceland were best in class.  There are clearly so many factors involved though.  Culture, restrictions, compliance, health system, care home system, when you were hit (i.e. Italy was hit first, so it didn't have much hope initially), speed of response.

Still, while Sweden were better than many other countries in Europe, its best comparators are clearly Finland and Norway (since it probably is very similar across most of those categories).  So even if Sweden did "better" than Austria, one could argue that Sweden had some natural advantages, so it may be a misleading comparison.  Austria might compare better with Switzerland?  Maybe Bavaria?  Not sure.

Anyhow, broadly speaking, things are looking tentatively positive in Europe now.  Things have improved a lot over the last 3 weeks.  The US too, although a drop in fatalities is lagging somewhat there.  That is presumably why the focus is now beginning to focus on the rest of the world.  Unfortunatley, it's hard to see much progress there until July (at best).  The apparent focus on vaccinating kids wouldn't help either.

On 5/8/2021 at 7:30 PM, RhaenysBee said:

On the other hand, a friend developed some strange lymphatic symptoms after her vaccination and it’s really taking a toll on her mentally - and physically too. 

Ouch.  Sorry to hear that.  Is that a normal side effect?

11 minutes ago, Padraig said:

It's difficult to compare countries but you can definitely say that (in Europe), Finland, Norway and Iceland were best in class.  There are clearly so many factors involved though.  Culture, restrictions, compliance, health system, care home system, when you were hit (i.e. Italy was hit first, so it didn't have much hope initially), speed of response.

Still, while Sweden were better than many other countries in Europe, its best comparators are clearly Finland and Norway (since it probably is very similar across most of those categories).  So even if Sweden did "better" than Austria, one could argue that Sweden had some natural advantages, so it may be a misleading comparison.  Austria might compare better with Switzerland?  Maybe Bavaria?  Not sure.

Bavaria and the Czech Republic are probably the places that are the most like Austria at least when it comes to things like culture and compliance. Czech has a much less robust health care system though. 

https://www.czso.cz/csu/czso/obypz_cr

Edit:The numbers look pretty bad though. They still have high numbers of excess deaths while we have more or less reverted to the baseline. Maybe our test as much as possible approach mixed with a lockdown light works better than I thought.

Sweden did definitely fare much worse than its neighbors.

1 hour ago, Padraig said:

“So it is conceivable that as we go on a year or two or more from now that during certain seasonal periods when you have respiratory borne viruses like the flu, people might actually elect to wear masks to diminish the likelihood that you’ll spread these respiratory borne diseases,” he added

Or catch them.  I haven't had a cold or flu or anything at all, other than the response to the vaccine, in all this time.  Partner's allergies which create conditions that are the same as being sick-sick, haven't kicked in in any season either. Even after f2f classroom exposure (masked).  I don't think we want to give that up. Or washing, each time returning from outside.

2 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Maybe our test as much as possible approach mixed with a lockdown light works better than I thought.

Better than Czech's approach anyhow.  But that may be a very low bar.  Only Hungary ended up worse in Europe.

I do think the health system is probably the most important factor.  Maybe Compliance then?  Testing is good too.   I see that Austria does have one of the best testing rates in Europe.  But the Czech's weren't bad for testing.

Comparable data collection obviously plays a role too.

Anyhow, I'm sure there will be books written on this!  It's a complicated topic

13 hours ago, Padraig said:

Ouch.  Sorry to hear that.  Is that a normal side effect?

To a certain extent, but not to the extent she’s experiencing. Fatigue and heavy legs can be a side effect affecting a smaller minority. For this to get painful and last weeks is certainly not normal. She got some meds now and hopefully it’ll clear up. 

10 hours ago, Padraig said:

Better than Czech's approach anyhow.  But that may be a very low bar.  Only Hungary ended up worse in Europe.

I do think the health system is probably the most important factor.  Maybe Compliance then?  Testing is good too.   I see that Austria does have one of the best testing rates in Europe.  But the Czech's weren't bad for testing.

Comparable data collection obviously plays a role too.

Anyhow, I'm sure there will be books written on this!  It's a complicated topic

Indeed *nervous laugh* 

Although this is an empiric impression (aka personal subjective assessment) and hardly data based,  the main reasons for our disastrous stats are:
-last summer was way too free and brought a disastrous November-December
- autumn lockdown came at least a month late, by the end of October (when restrictions were reintroduced) the thing was out of control, and the reopening we are doing as we speak is also highly premature 
- public discipline and compliance with regulations is honestly shameful and has been throughout the thick of it 
- anti-vaccine and virus-denial was and still is surprisingly high
- even though the government made an effort to provide ventilators, there isn’t enough workforce or room in health care facilities to operate the hospital equipment and keep patients properly separated 
- the general health of people isn’t great (this one is actually backed up by oecd data), people lead unhealthy lifestyles and my suspicion is that this has been a contributor
- even though there was an effort to get several vaccines, the British variant arrived sooner than the sufficient vaccine supplies to vaccinate en mass (there was and still is mistrust and dislike for vaccines other than Pfizer&Moderna)
- always caving in to whatever the public pushes for, but always messing up the timing and execution so that it’s not even well received. 

the problem is that we don’t seem to have learned from the mistakes of last summer. Limitless freedom in the summer has heavy repercussions for the autumn months. I personally think that we should have settled for learning to live with permanent moderate restrictions rather than drastic lockdown for 4-5 months and wild hedonism for another 4-5 months.

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

To a certain extent, but not to the extent she’s experiencing. Fatigue and heavy legs can be a side effect affecting a smaller minority. For this to get painful and last weeks is certainly not normal. She got some meds now and hopefully it’ll clear up. 

Indeed *nervous laugh* 

Although this is an empiric impression (aka personal subjective assessment) and hardly data based,  the main reasons for our disastrous stats are:
-last summer was way too free and brought a disastrous November-December
- autumn lockdown came at least a month late, by the end of October (when restrictions were reintroduced) the thing was out of control, and the reopening we are doing as we speak is also highly premature 
- public discipline and compliance with regulations is honestly shameful and has been throughout the thick of it 
- anti-vaccine and virus-denial was and still is surprisingly high
- even though the government made an effort to provide ventilators, there isn’t enough workforce or room in health care facilities to operate the hospital equipment and keep patients properly separated 
- the general health of people isn’t great (this one is actually backed up by oecd data), people lead unhealthy lifestyles and my suspicion is that this has been a contributor
- even though there was an effort to get several vaccines, the British variant arrived sooner than the sufficient vaccine supplies to vaccinate en mass (there was and still is mistrust and dislike for vaccines other than Pfizer&Moderna)
- always caving in to whatever the public pushes for, but always messing up the timing and execution so that it’s not even well received. 

the problem is that we don’t seem to have learned from the mistakes of last summer. Limitless freedom in the summer has heavy repercussions for the autumn months. I personally think that we should have settled for learning to live with permanent moderate restrictions rather than drastic lockdown for 4-5 months and wild hedonism for another 4-5 months.

I'm not sure if moderate restrictions work in our countries though. I mean as soon as the first lockdown ended a significant number of people started ignoring all the rules around here. At least with a drastic lockdown stuff like pubs ges closed.

1 hour ago, Leap said:

This is interesting, because I think I took the exact opposite lesson from the pandemic so far, although perhaps this is just a fundamental difference between island/continental nations. In the UK we have had some level of restrictions in place for over a year now. We have had some short periods of severe lockdown, but by and large the restrictions have been moderate. I would much rather have extended our severe lockdown from Spring of last year by a few weeks/months in the hopes of eradicating the virus completely, like NZ/Aus managed. 

Just to say that this was never going to happen. By the time the first lockdown had been put in place the virus was already endemic in the population and we had moved well past the point of being able to eradicate it , it was simply too far spread out. On top of that we had no idea that vaccines were so close to coming into reality so soon.

Archived