Covid 19-31 The Mutants Are Coming

Mlle. Zabzie

4 minutes ago, Padraig said:

Interesting.  It begs the question about how many people who have this variant have been vaccinated.  And if they have been vaccinated, how bad were their symthoms.  The story doesn't give many details.  There has been a slight uptake in overall cases in the UK but the overall number is very low, so its hard to know whether that is just a blip.

Yeah, without more information, there's not much to discuss here.

It'll be "interesting" to see how the variant does when up against a well resourced healthcare system, and a lack of religious holidays / mass gatherings.

On the other hand, it's exactly that hubris that resulted in the first wave, with reactions to data repeatedly coming... later than ideal.

On the plus side, if enough is known about this "outbreak" that the press pick up on it; then it should be safe to assume that SAGE & PHE are on the case (whether they can convince "bodies pile high" Johnson to act is a different matter).

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

On the plus side, if enough is known about this "outbreak" that the press pick up on it; then it should be safe to assume that SAGE & PHE are on the case (whether they can convince "bodies pile high" Johnson to act is a different matter).

Yes.  Hopefully lessons have being learned.  There is so much study going on in this field right now, that there are few excuses available.

There has been some more work on length of effectivness.  I haven't seen 6-8 months suggested before.  Not sure I should believe that.  Complicated question, i'm sure.

When tested for its ability to neutralize the P.1 and B.1.351 strains, the antibodies generated by the Moderna vaccine against the original strain dropped to low or undetectable levels six to eight months after the second dose (see Figure 2).

This doesn’t necessarily imply a direct loss of immune protection. When antibodies fade, the combined defenses of T cells, memory B cells, and other components of the immune response may suffice.

There is a Fox news article (which i'm not going to link) talking about how the Indian variant does lead to a drop in protection but vaccines remain effective .  Similar to the South African variant.

3 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

It's the same in Europe and it's BULLSHIT and tells you that the "vaccine passports" has nothing to do with public health but with politics, both internal and external.

I think the term “vaccine passport” makes some people angry, I think “vaccine certification” is the appropriate term. As for the politics, the Chinese have refused to provide data about their vaccines so far, haven’t they? While it’s obvious politics are playing a role, shouldn’t countries expect to see the data? I have seen stories that report anything from 50%, from some South American countries, to 80% or 85% from the Middle East, Bahrain maybe?

Interesting - two NY Yankees coaches an a support person have all tested positive for Covid-19 even though all three are fully vaccinated. Maybe a story later today will have details as to when they received their second shots.

Vaccine passports are ridiculous as they are currently discussed, because as was pointed out across the board, it's vastly easier to get a fake vaccine passport than get vaccinated.  Bar tenders are selling fake vaccine passports, as are many others, fer pete's sake.

34 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Vaccine passports are ridiculous as they are currently discussed, because as was pointed out across the board, it's vastly easier to get a fake vaccine passport than get vaccinated.  Bar tenders are selling fake vaccine passports, as are many others, fer pete's sake.

the EU passport certificate will have a QR code confirming its authenticity.

17 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

the EU passport certificate will have a QR code confirming its authenticity.

Excellent. OTOH, the US is pretty much anti-vaccination as it is, so it's REALLY anti-vaccination certificates, passports, etc., and will immediately figure out a way to make fakes ones for both owning the libs and for profit.  Never under estimate Ingenuity USA for the Stupid, Cruel, Greed and Violent! Number 1 USA YAY!

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Excellent. OTOH, the US is pretty much anti-vaccination as it is, so it's REALLY anti-vaccination certificates, passports, etc., and will immediately figure out a way to make fakes ones for both owning the libs and for profit.  Never under estimate Ingenuity USA for the Stupid, Cruel, Greed and Violent! Number 1 USA YAY!

Well it is clearly treason because a big next wave will damage the economy of the country significantly. The people involved are already experts at finding treason awesome I guess. 

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Well it is clearly treason because a big next wave will damage the economy of the country significantly.

As long as They can keep doing people trafficking, wage theft, and forcing people to work in sub-human conditions Their economy will continue and soar, and that's The Point.

Big sectors here are already highly skilled and practiced at the above criminal behaviors.  Right now here in our city, finally coming to court is the case of a construction company who enticed 400 workers from India to come, had their passports confiscated, imprisoned in a barracks, and allowed out only to labor long hours, for $450 a month, which mostly was withheld.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

There is no real intention of the US having a passport cert though?  Except presumably for people entering the country?  So I don't think forgery is a particular issue.

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

As for the politics, the Chinese have refused to provide data about their vaccines so far, haven’t they?

Presumably no longer.   Sinovac has applied for EU approval and WHO approval.  The WHO has given Sinopharm approval.

There are documents out there.

https://cdn.who.int/media/docs/default-source/immunization/sage/2021/april/5_sage29apr2021_critical-evidence_sinovac.pdf

https://cdn.who.int/media/docs/default-source/immunization/sage/2021/april/2_sage29apr2021_critical-evidence_sinopharm.pdf

There is some uncertainty regarding efficacy but that's probably variant related.

I guess there is a labor shortage. Maybe ICE can work in construction for free to serve their debt to society.

I’ve had to have shots for other counties throughout decades. One that I had to get was one for chicken pox.! Why is this shot a problem? 

58 minutes ago, Zorral said:

As long as They can keep doing people trafficking, wage theft, and forcing people to work in sub-human conditions Their economy will continue and soar, and that's The Point.

Big sectors here are already highly skilled and practiced at the above criminal behaviors.  Right now here in our city, finally coming to court is the case of a construction company who enticed 400 workers from India to come, had their passports confiscated, imprisoned in a barracks, and allowed out only to labor long hours, for $450 a month, which mostly was withheld.

THIS IS OUTFUCKINGRAGEOUS!! 

I Can only hope the management is subjected to some very well deserved cruel and painful judgement.

Bodies are now being dumped in rivers in India because crematoriums are at capacity and its difficult to find firewood even for open pyres (as with most crises,. hoarding/stockpiling and price gouging are on the rise for certain critical supplies).

I think I mentioned this before, but my parents have both doses of AZ and are 'fully' vaccinated (at the same time as me, coincidentally, on May 5). They are still being very cautious and dont venture out much. The caseloads have now switched towards rural areas from the congested urban areas, it looks like, which brings its own host of problems.

1 hour ago, Padraig said:

There is no real intention of the US having a passport cert though?  Except presumably for people entering the country?  So I don't think forgery is a particular issue.

Presumably no longer.   Sinovac has applied for EU approval and WHO approval.  The WHO has given Sinopharm approval.

There are documents out there.

https://cdn.who.int/media/docs/default-source/immunization/sage/2021/april/5_sage29apr2021_critical-evidence_sinovac.pdf

https://cdn.who.int/media/docs/default-source/immunization/sage/2021/april/2_sage29apr2021_critical-evidence_sinopharm.pdf

There is some uncertainty regarding efficacy but that's probably variant related.

There are 3 Chinese vaccines, aren’t there?

As for Americans proving if they have been vaccinated, all the cruise companies have said passengers will have to be vaccinated. Since most of them cruise out of Florida ports and the state has passed a law making it illegal for businesses to ask if people have been vaccinated, something’s going to come to a head. Either there will have to be an exception for cruises or the cruise companies have said they may sail out of other ports. I don’t know if that means NY or NJ, or Texas, or a Caribbean island.

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Interesting - two NY Yankees coaches an a support person have all tested positive for Covid-19 even though all three are fully vaccinated. Maybe a story later today will have details as to when they received their second shots.

Maybe a story later will show when and where they got their fake vaccination certificates.

2 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Maybe a story later will show when and where they got their fake vaccination certificates.

The german interior minister Seehofer is also infected. He hadn't received the second dose thought. I think people need to make a distinction between being PCR positive and having COVID19

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-german-interior-minister-horst-seehofer-tests-positive/a-57482202

2 hours ago, Padraig said:

New York is talking about it a lot.  One for NYC, in order to attend theater, sports, and all the other indoor entertainments.  People are screaming bloody murder about the very idea.

Also for people entering the country. And/or having them quarantine for two weeks.  Which the 'hospitality' industry is screaming bloody murder about too.

Also much discussion as to whether vaccination be required for teachers and students and staff, and health care workers required to be vaccinated, including those who work in nursing homes.

The chances of any of these happening anywhere in the USA, as of today, is, I'd say, about 0.01 nil.

Just now, Zorral said:

New York is talking about it a lot.  One for NYC, in order to attend theater, sports, and all the other indoor entertainments.  People are screaming bloody murder about the very idea.

Also for people entering the country. And/or having them quarantine for two weeks.  Which the 'hospitality' industry is screaming bloody murder about too.

Also much discussion as to whether vaccination be required for teachers and students and staff, and health care workers required to be vaccinated, including those who work in nursing homes.

The chances of any of these happening anywhere in the USA, as of today, is, I'd say, about 0.01 nil.

I have my Excelsior Pass!

Archived