Covid 19-31 The Mutants Are Coming

Mlle. Zabzie

I gather from news reports that the Irish hospital system has been taken over by hackers. In the middle of a pandemic.

Holy shit, they should track those fuckers down and test them against the animals at the top of the list in the other thread.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

Maybe this might be because this is predicting what will happen if restrictions are lifted so it's not a direct comparison to what actually happened during the previous peaks where restrictions were belatedly introduced?

That's a fair point.  And i'd certainly err on the side of caution.  Especially since we don't know for sure that there wouldn't be considerably more breakthroughs (even if it isn't expected).  And we don't know whether it isn't more severe than the current UK variant (it was the same with the UK/Kent variant initially and by now, its generally felt it is more severe than the original COVID).

I'm still hoping that the numbers vaccinated will prove to be a robust defence but we'll see.  To me, you want to worry the politicians enough for them to be cautious but you don't want to panic the public because there are a lot of things we don't know yet.

Edited: I see the Yankees got J&J.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

India is now on the 'red list' meaning mandatory hotel quarantine for arrivals, but the current clusters seem to have originated from travellers arriving before it was put on the list.

There seem to be indications that a lot of it was travellers rushing to get home in the 4 days between announcing it would go on the red list and it actually going on the list

Kent variant is basically the new norm across Europe, yet cases are going down in most places. The Indian variant can cause spikes but I don't see it causing a new major wave, if vaccinations go on at high pace - as long as it doesn't escape vaccines.

23 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

There seem to be indications that a lot of it was travellers rushing to get home in the 4 days between announcing it would go on the red list and it actually going on the list

Rookie mistake that could've been forgiven, maybe, a year ago, but that's unforgivable nowadays with past experiences. In that kind of situation, you don't say "This will be the law in a few days." You just say "From now on, this is how it goes" without any delay. Spain and Italy did the same back in March 2020 when Madrid and N. Italy were to be cut off from the rest of the country, and the pandemic spready wildly because a lot of people fled in the next few hours, when they were still allowed to leave.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I gather from news reports that the Irish hospital system has been taken over by hackers. In the middle of a pandemic.

Holy shit, they should track those fuckers down and test them against the animals at the top of the list in the other thread.

And they should book the Coliseum for the show. The place has actually been built for that kind of "scientific experiments".

51 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

And they should book the Coliseum for the show. The place has actually been built for that kind of "scientific experiments".

I don’t think the restoration of the floor will be done for a couple more years. 

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

Wow, who could possibly have foreseen that one?

So, maybe that's not an interesting conversation to have, but some renowned scientists have written in Science that the origins of the virus need to be re-considered: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6543/694.1

I stumbled on this because of an article in Le Monde, that does not as a rule indulge in silly conspiracy theories: https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2021/05/14/origines-du-covid-19-la-divulgation-de-travaux-inedits-menes-depuis-2014-a-l-institut-de-virologie-de-wuhan-alimente-le-trouble_6080154_3244.html

In a nutshell it seems several papers (from 2014, 2017, and 2019) by Chinese scientists/students call into question what was previously assumed about the research done in the Wuhan lab ; to be clear, it seems Chinese scientists and officials lied about what they knew about coronaviruses and what experiments they were doing on them.
In all honesty it's highly technical stuff and I'm totally out of my league here, so I'm curious to see what others make of it. These articlse in English seem to attempt to explain, but I'm a bit too tired to make sense of them right now:
https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/05/13/1024866/investigation-covid-origin-wuhan-china-lab-biologists-letter/
https://www.independentsciencenews.org/commentaries/a-chinese-phd-thesis-sheds-important-new-light-on-the-origin-of-the-covid-19-coronavirus/

2 hours ago, Rippounet said:

So, maybe that's not an interesting conversation to have, but some renowned scientists have written in Science that the origins of the virus need to be re-considered: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6543/694.1

I stumbled on this because of an article in Le Monde, that does not as a rule indulge in silly conspiracy theories: https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2021/05/14/origines-du-covid-19-la-divulgation-de-travaux-inedits-menes-depuis-2014-a-l-institut-de-virologie-de-wuhan-alimente-le-trouble_6080154_3244.html

In a nutshell it seems several papers (from 2014, 2017, and 2019) by Chinese scientists/students call into question what was previously assumed about the research done in the Wuhan lab ; to be clear, it seems Chinese scientists and officials lied about what they knew about coronaviruses and what experiments they were doing on them.
In all honesty it's highly technical stuff and I'm totally out of my league here, so I'm curious to see what others make of it. These articlse in English seem to attempt to explain, but I'm a bit too tired to make sense of them right now:
https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/05/13/1024866/investigation-covid-origin-wuhan-china-lab-biologists-letter/
https://www.independentsciencenews.org/commentaries/a-chinese-phd-thesis-sheds-important-new-light-on-the-origin-of-the-covid-19-coronavirus/

I read one article and the sad fact is that the Chinese government seems to have the same impulse that the Stephen Harper government of Canada had which was to deny scientists the privilege of publishing their results without the say so of their political masters, whether those masters had any understanding of the subjects or not. 

The anti-Covid measures protests are losing support because it gets more and more difficult to deny that people are protesting on the side of far right extremists and Nazis.

The burning of LGBT+ flags, Nazis salutes and the Imperial War Flags during the first protests did not give that away?

Well yesterday at one of those anti-Covid measures protests a Hitler speech was played in front of the flag of Israel. The location was Mauthausen the site of the biggest concentration camp in Austria. More or less at the same time was a wreath laying ceremony attended by out president at the camp itself. That it was it takes for people to think who they are walking with.

The news here is full of stories about how American politicians are demanding that the Canadian border be opened. Not asking, demanding that the border be opened. Chuck Schumer and other NY politicians are leading the charge. They want the definition of essential travel expanded and they want fully-vaccinated Americans to be allowed into Canada.

First the US blocks exports of vaccine to get it's citizens fully vaccinated, and now it demands that their citizens be allowed to go wherever they want.

There was talk here that the borders should not be opened until "vaccine parity" is achieved. I hope the Canadian government won't be bullied. The idea that we'll see Americans prancing around Canada because they're fully vaccinated makes me want to vomit.

As a state that shares a border with Canada, I do not want borders open, as Canada is surging, and neither nation nor state is even 1/2 vaccinated.

I'm also continuing to double-mask, at least indoors.  Additionally believe in taxing the rich to the max.  :P

35 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The US will send 20m "US approved" vaccines abroad, Biden is expected to announce soon. This is in addition to the 60m AZ vaccines that had been previously released.

Thats good!! It is late but better late than never. What means send? does it mean  " allow to export to paying customers, who waited quite a while",  or is it "donation of US paid vaccines to countries in need"?

Now the US must only also stop to disrupt the market on supplies and goods necessary to produce vaccines and end the export ban.

The German health minister just announced that the vaccine priorisation will end June 7, meaning anyone age 16 and over can then make an appointment for vaccination . It will still take until July for everyone to get the first vaccination, but still its good news and the government  must be sure of the supply line to announce this. Since we get the same supply as all other EU members, it starts to look really better here.

Doesn't mean that everybody who wants to make an appointment, will also get an appointment tho. I remain a bit sceptical with regards to the amount of available vaccine in early June. Early July I could buy into.

Time will tell.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Doesn't mean that everybody who wants to make an appointment, will also get an appointment tho. I remain a bit sceptical with regards to the amount of available vaccine in early June. Early July I could buy into.

Time will tell.

Well exactly. You can make an appointment on June 7, but the date of vaccination may then be some weeks off. I think the reason why the priorisation must fall exactly june 7 is because thats the day the company doctors are starting to vaccinate company employees (which will  boost the daily vaccination capacity) . It would be mad to have a priorisation inside companies.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The US will send 20m "US approved" vaccines abroad, Biden is expected to announce soon. This is in addition to the 60m AZ vaccines that had been previously released.

Wait, when did the US release 60 M AZ doses? I must have missed that. These would have been made at the Emergent plant? We received 300,000 doses of J&J made at the Emergent plant that still have not been released because no one is yet sure if the doses aren’t tainted. I can’t imagine that testing was completed on all the batches of 60 M AZ doses!

Many of the 60 million 'released' AZ vaccines still need FDA quality checks made on them, they are in various stages of production right now (I think 10 million of the 60 have already been made or are close to, and require FDA approval as well which is forthcoming soon). Not sure where they were made or are being made.

Archived