Silliest Movie Premises that actually got made.

24 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well if we're gonna talk Travolta and "science," then I suppose Battlefield Earth should be mentioned.  But I'm not sure if that belongs in silliest cultish premises ever.

Do you want lunch?

19 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Con-Air was was also a movie that I saw once. 

You watch that shit tomorrow and report back.

If I understand this thread correctly, quality has no real bearing on selections.  I imagine the premise as being pitched for the first time...and someone greenlights the thing.  I think a significant percentage of produced scripts could work as most movies are at least a little absurd.  Think of the opening of The Player where we wind around to see Buck Henry pitching The Graduate Part 2.  

At any rate, I still think Face/Off wins the thread.  I'll add Soul Man because...wtf?

13 hours ago, briantw said:

This is the way.

I think The Rock is a respectably decent action movie.  Face Off and Con Air are just batshit crazy actors Nicholas Cage getting free reign to do whatever the fuck they he wants. 

Fixed that for you. And The Rock is among my top 90s action movies along with T2Speed, and True Lies

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'll actually defend that one. The original musical it was based on was quite good

Agreed. Almost as good as the original musical version of A Streetcar Named Desire

6 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It’s silliness spawned creativity, humor and partici...pation. Now I wonder who gets offended by it these days, if they have seen it?

That one doesn't really fit in here.

The Rocky Horror Show was a musical. The Rocky Horror Picture Show put it on screen.

4 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

Fixed that for you. And The Rock is among my top 90s action movies along with T2Speed, and True Lies

Speed is a really good entry to this list, which reminds me of Point Break. That definitely deserves here.

On 5/3/2021 at 11:11 PM, Tywin et al. said:

You watch that shit tomorrow and report back.

I actually meant to fulfil this prophecy, but it got away from me. Hopefully the timeline will survive. 

I did watch Color out of Space which.... well suddenly the idea of taking someone's face off seems quaint. 

9 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Speed is a really good entry to this list, which reminds me of Point Break. That definitely deserves here.

How dare you! Next you're going to mention the Wick trilogy. 

9 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Has anybody mentioned Inception, yet?

Inception is the spinning top that exists between good or bad under these circumstances. It's a good comparison point when one wonders if their movie selection should qualify. 

• 3 months later...

Archived