chapter titles in affc and adwd

Hey everyone,

As you all know, in AFFC and ADWD there are some chapters that don't have the name of their POV-character, but titles like "The Kraken's daughter", "The prince in the tower", etc. instead. And of course, those titles tell us something about the POV-character/their current situation. But I wonder what exactly they mean: With some characters, the titles seem to indicate that they are playing a role or becoming (being?) another person: Sansa becomes Alayne, Arya is Cat of the Canals and later The ugly little Girl, Theon is Reek and then becomes Theon again (I think playing "The Prince of Winterfell" is an important step in his development/arc in ADWD, but I might be wrong of course), to list just a few.

But is it always about roles the characters are playing? And if so: have they chosen their role or is this role always imposed on them by someone else? (Sansa becomes Alayne because Littlefinger tells her to, and Aryas roles are part of her training in Braavos. If that is a pattern: Does it mean that Arianne has been manipulated by someone - e.g. the Sandsnakes - to play Queenmaker, or has she chosen this role herself?) And what about the ADWD chapter called "The Sacrifice"? It is an Asha POV, but she's not the one being sacrificed....

What are your thoughts on that? I am curious about all those chapters/the general thing, not just the few examples I've mentioned.

Sorry if this has been discussed already - I did a quick search without finding a discussion, if there is one, I'm fine with a link ;-)

Here's one: 92967-chapter-names

I never really noticed them much before - thanks for bringing it up. I like the ideas in the thread I linked - it seems to be connected to the 'you have to remember your name' thing; these characters seem to be looking for an identity, or having an identity forced upon them.

ETA

This post says it nicely.

On 5/2/2021 at 9:00 PM, Springwatch said:

Here's one: 92967-chapter-names

I never really noticed them much before - thanks for bringing it up. I like the ideas in the thread I linked - it seems to be connected to the 'you have to remember your name' thing; these characters seem to be looking for an identity, or having an identity forced upon them.

ETA

This post says it nicely.

Thank you :-)

Archived