Targaryen Family Tree retcon: Dunk and Egg

Angel Eyes

A question about any Dunk and Egg adaptations:

So in "Baelor", Maester Aemon mentions that he is the second of the three sons of Maekar I: Aerion, Aemon, and Aegon, nicknamed Egg. However, in "The Hedge Knight", the first of the Tales of Dunk and Egg, there are four sons of Maekar I: Daeron, Aerion, Aemon, and Aegon. Daeron plays a relatively major role in this first volume since he is the one responsible for hiding Egg's identity by shaving his head and falsely accusing Dunk of kidnapping Egg. How are the showrunners going to retcon Daeron back into the show since he was adapted out?

On 5/4/2021 at 6:59 PM, Ghostlydragon said:

I think this will be forgotten. There was no need to cut out one of his relatives so I imagine they will ignore that change.

I hope you're right. Though people who listened to dialogue might wonder "where did this extra brother come from? I thought Maester Aemon's brother drank wildfire."

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 7:59 PM, Angel Eyes said:

How are the showrunners going to retcon Daeron back into the show since he was adapted out?

I doubt it'll be a problem. "Game of Thrones" lost all credibility in terms of canon, at least for anyone who cares enough about that sort of thing. As for the rest, they probably won't notice or care about a single inconsistency when there's so many others to worry about.

Archived