prophecy

Orion2

35 minutes ago, Orion2 said:

The castle is built of snow. It doesn't have to be Winterfell. It just is with sweet robin. Where else could it be? And wtf is sansa doing slaying the giant metaphorically speaking**

what would you call any castle after it is completly covered in snow? It can be seen as a castle made of snow.

1 minute ago, divica said:

what would you call any castle after it is completly covered in snow? It can be seen as a castle made of snow.

ok yes

17 hours ago, Orion2 said:

Petyr helping her build it. . . .  why is he helping her in this situation,

Here's a thought: maybe the giants represent the true "players" in the game of thrones.

We know that GRRM uses games as a major motif throughout the novels - Cyvasse, dice, Come into My Castle, The Lord of the Crossing, Shoots and Ladders (Snakes and Ladders), Monsters and Maidens, the game in the pool at Dorne where a small child sits on the shoulders of a big child, etc. 

I have been trying to sort out which characters might represent the players and which are mere pawns if the entire world of Westeros (and maybe including Essos) is a big game of Cyvasse. I'm pretty sure that Tywin and Littlefinger are players, along with Bloodraven. But I also think Jon Arryn and Prince Doran are (or were) players. 

GRRM has given us glimpses of Cyvasse, but he has deliberately obscured the nature of the game as a whole and he refused to let the marketing people invent a version of the game to sell in the real world. I think this is because it is a metaphor for the larger game within the novels (maybe the game is the same thing you call "statecraft"), it cannot be reduced to a format that can be played in the real world and he doesn't (yet) want us to know how it is won or lost. (Although I suspect that the goal of the game is to get one of your game pieces into the throne, not for a player to occupy the throne him or herself. This is why Bloodraven and Tywin are Hands of the King but not kings themselves.) 

It seems as if part of the game is to train up a new player to be your replacement. Tywin trains Tyrion although Tyrion doesn't realize that is what is going on. (But maybe Tywin is also training Cersei?) Prince Doran is training Arianne although she thinks he is training Quentyn and betraying her. Or is he training all three of his children - Trystane is the one who excels at Cyvasse. Littlefinger is training Sansa. Maybe Quaithe is training Dany? Or Illyrio Mopatis is training both Dany and fAegon / Young Griff? I'm thinking Balon was training Theon and Asha until Theon was removed from his vicinity. 

Maybe Garth Greenhands, Lann the Clever, The Storm King and Bran the Builder were the original giants and the original players in the Game of Thrones. We know that Bran the Builder built Storm's End, Winterfell and The Wall. For The Wall, he used giants as laborers -perhaps symbolic of training the next generation of players for the game. 

Littlefinger's family sigil is the head of the Titan of Braavos, so we have a link between him and giants. Tywin controls Gregor Clegane (whose head is later sent to Prince Doran) so there is a giant connection for Lannisters and Martells. The Eyrie is built on a mountain called The Giant's Lance. Not sure about a giant for Dany although Strong Belwas might count. For fAegon, the giant turtle known as the Old Man of the River might be the giant - possibly representing the Rhoyne river itself? Tyrion might get more "instruction" from the river giant than fAegon receives, as Tyrion goes swimming and falls into the river a couple of times. (And he beats fAegon at Cyvasse.) 

Interestingly, Joffrey has a giant but he loses him: The Hound is a loyal guardian for Joffrey but he parts from him at the Battle of the Blackwater where he kisses Sansa before departing and eventually teams up with Arya on the road. Maybe Sansa destroying Sweetrobin's doll is related to her taking a kiss (or trading a song for a kiss) when Sandor is in her bedchamber. 

Jon Snow provides Wun Wun with a diet he loves - we often see Jon Snow feeding others but rarely do we see him eating. He also learns some words from the language spoken by the giants. 

If these giant "players" are able to manipulate pawns, then Littlefinger showing Sansa how to build her snow castle may be comparable to Bran the Builder instructing giants to build the Wall. Wall-building (or building in general) may be part of playing the Game of Thrones / Cyvasse. 

But wall-destroying may be another part of the game: Pyke is crumbling and the Greyjoy Rebellion was defeated when part of the wall of Pyke was breached by Robert's forces. Cersei burns the Tower of the Hand. Dany's dragons can fly over walls and she sends Ser Jorah and Ser Barristan through sewers to infiltrate Meereen. Harrenhal is crumbling but various castellans and Lords want to restore it. (Arya scrubs steps to try to make abandoned parts of Harrenhal habitable again.) Ygritte tells Jon Snow that a horn was found in the grave of a giant but it is not the Horn of Joramun, although Mance wanted the Night's Watch to think that it was. 

The wildlings - including giants - try to breach the wall before they are allowed by Jon to walk through the tunnel to live among the Night's Watch. In the battle, in that tunnel, the smith named Donal Noye kills and is killed by a giant called Mag Mar Tun Doh Weg. Maybe this is like a chess match that ends in a draw. Smith vs. Giant. (Smiths are associated with Bran the Builder.) 

I guess we would need to look at other giant-linked characters to pursue this and see if the logic holds up: the roaring giant of House Umber's sigil, Ygritte's I am the Last of the Giants song, etc. 

I know this is rambling. I do this when I'm "thinking by writing," sorting out new ideas by putting them into words. Sorry about that. 

The tl;dr is that the OP's point about the prophecy of the giant destroying Winterfell and the destruction of Sweetrobin's "giant" doll as it destroys the snow castle are both moves in the metaphorical and literal Game of Thrones at the core of the books. Giants and game players are actors in this game and the ability to build or destroy a wall is an essential part of gameplay to determine who will occupy the throne. 

17 hours ago, Orion2 said:

The castle is built of snow. It doesn't have to be Winterfell. It just is with sweet robin. Where else could it be? And wtf is sansa doing slaying the giant metaphorically speaking**

No, it doesn't have to be Winterfell, although its description in Dance would certainly make it seem like it was made of snow. But maybe it's Last Hearth, Karhold, the Dreadfort, Castle Black . . .? They should all be covered in snow as well.

As others have mentioned, the GoHH uses sigils to describe other nobles, ei, the golden stag, the flaming heart, the lady who was a fish . . . So the giant could be Baelish, or perhaps an Umber? Or maybe it's not metaphorical at all. Maybe Sansa slays an actual giant. Poor Wun Wun?

I just think it's too early to jump to the conclusion that this piddling little trifle over a pretend snow castle is tucked into all these other visions about the great events of the day.

26 minutes ago, Seams said:

Here's a thought: maybe the giants represent the true "players" in the game of thrones.

<snip>

The tl;dr is that the OP's point about the prophecy of the giant destroying Winterfell and the destruction of Sweetrobin's "giant" doll as it destroys the snow castle are both moves in the metaphorical and literal Game of Thrones at the core of the books. Giants and game players are actors in this game and the ability to build or destroy a wall is an essential part of gameplay to determine who will occupy the throne. 

Quite possible. The giants of Greek mythology (Gigantes) were not a tall race, but a race of very aggresive enemies of the Olympian Gods. Enceladus is the giant sleeping under Mount Etna and Alcyoneus under Mount Vesuvius.

GRRM might be giving us a hint by referring to Tyrion as a giant so many times:

"Oh, I think that Lord Tyrion is quite a large man," Maester Aemon said from the far end of the table. He spoke softly, yet the high officers of the Night's Watch all fell quiet, the better to hear what the ancient had to say. "I think he is a giant come among us, here at the end of the world."

Tyrion answered gently, "I've been called many things, my lord, but giant is seldom one of them."

"Nonetheless," Maester Aemon said as his clouded, milk-white eyes moved to Tyrion's face, "I think it is true."

3 hours ago, Tucu said:

Quite possible. The giants of Greek mythology (Gigantes) were not a tall race, but a race of very aggresive enemies of the Olympian Gods. Enceladus is the giant sleeping under Mount Etna and Alcyoneus under Mount Vesuvius.

Nice.

Giants associated with mountains would fit with other clues GRRM gives us, I suspect, starting with Ser Gregor as The Mountain that Rides. He is unhorsed in the critical match at the Hand's Tourney when his horse (a stallion) tries to mount the horse of Ser Loras. This could represent the Stallion that Mounts the World. 

This line of thinking is helping me with my epic struggle to decode the underlying meaning of The Sworn Sword. In the climax of the conflict, Ser Eustace and Lady Rohanne both send giants - Dunk and Ser Lucas - to resolve their conflict in a fight to the death. If Houses Webber and Osgrey are players in the Game of Thrones, this use of giants as surrogates could be part of the larger pattern. 

3 hours ago, Tucu said:

GRRM might be giving us a hint by referring to Tyrion as a giant so many times:

Right on. 

After a recent thread about Podrick Payne and his role in the series, I started to think about how often he is shown providing food or drink for Tyrion. He helps Tyrion to change into clean clothes at one point and Sansa's POV says that Tyrion seems taller in his fresh outfit. I think one of Pod's functions is to help Tyrion "grow." Symbolically, Tyrion is fulfilling Aemon's "prophecy" that he is a giant. 

Of course, Shea, with her "my giant of Lannister" is another enabler of Tyrion's rise to giantness.

And this fits with another line of thinking in the back of my mind: that Tyrion represents the land mass that is Westeros. For instance, GRRM makes numerous references to Tyrion's disproportionately large head, which would fit with The North as the largest in area of the seven kingdoms. Tyrion's growth (due, in part, to Pod's effective work at feeding him) is turning him into a giant; specifically, a land mass that represents a continent. 

2 hours ago, Seams said:

Nice.

Giants associated with mountains would fit with other clues GRRM gives us, I suspect, starting with Ser Gregor as The Mountain that Rides. He is unhorsed in the critical match at the Hand's Tourney when his horse (a stallion) tries to mount the horse of Ser Loras. This could represent the Stallion that Mounts the World. 

This line of thinking is helping me with my epic struggle to decode the underlying meaning of The Sworn Sword. In the climax of the conflict, Ser Eustace and Lady Rohanne both send giants - Dunk and Ser Lucas - to resolve their conflict in a fight to the death. If Houses Webber and Osgrey are players in the Game of Thrones, this use of giants as surrogates could be part of the larger pattern.

Rohanne is also the spider that marries two lions and becomes Lady of the Rock. There is some underlying symbolism there but I can't make sense of it yet.

2 hours ago, Seams said:

Right on. 

After a recent thread about Podrick Payne and his role in the series, I started to think about how often he is shown providing food or drink for Tyrion. He helps Tyrion to change into clean clothes at one point and Sansa's POV says that Tyrion seems taller in his fresh outfit. I think one of Pod's functions is to help Tyrion "grow." Symbolically, Tyrion is fulfilling Aemon's "prophecy" that he is a giant. 

Of course, Shea, with her "my giant of Lannister" is another enabler of Tyrion's rise to giantness.

And this fits with another line of thinking in the back of my mind: that Tyrion represents the land mass that is Westeros. For instance, GRRM makes numerous references to Tyrion's disproportionately large head, which would fit with The North as the largest in area of the seven kingdoms. Tyrion's growth (due, in part, to Pod's effective work at feeding him) is turning him into a giant; specifically, a land mass that represents a continent. 

There are also a lot of threads connecting stones and exiles. Tyrion is the heir to the Rock exiled in Essos. Sam is a "boulder" and "mountain" exiled in The Wall. Bran was the wolf chained to the stone of Winterfell and now exiled beyond The Wall. Rickon is exiled with the stone-born of Skagos (that means stone). Jon Connington is an exile turning into stone. Arya is exiled in Braavos that is "all stone, a grey city" and she hides Needle (a representation of her past life) in stone. Sansa is exiled in the Giant's Lance. Not exactly an exile but we also have Catelyn whose "heart had turned to stone" long before she came back as Lady Stoneheart.

Are these some of the giants that are awakening from the earth? The Last of the Giants starts making more sense looking from this angle.

49 minutes ago, Tucu said:

Rohanne is also the spider that marries two lions and becomes Lady of the Rock. There is some underlying symbolism there but I can't make sense of it yet.

There are also a lot of threads connecting stones and exiles. Tyrion is the heir to the Rock exiled in Essos. Sam is a "boulder" and "mountain" exiled in The Wall. Bran is the wolf chained to the stone of Winterfell and now exiled beyond The Wall. Rickon is exiled with the stone-born of Skagos (that means stone). Jon Connington is an exile turning into stone. Arya is exiled in Braavos that is "all stone, a grey city" and she hides Needle (a representation of her past life) in stone. Sansa is exiled in the Giant's Lance. Not exactly and exile but we also have Catelyn whose "heart had turned to stone" long before she came back as Lady Stoneheart.

Are these some of the giants that are awakening from the earth? The Last of the Giants starts making more sense looking from this angle.

5 hours ago, Seams said:

We know that GRRM uses games as a major motif throughout the novels - Cyvasse, dice, Come into My Castle, The Lord of the Crossing, Shoots and Ladders (Snakes and Ladders), Monsters and Maidens, the game in the pool at Dorne where a small child sits on the shoulders of a big child, etc. 

I have been trying to sort out which characters might represent the players and which are mere pawns if the entire world of Westeros (and maybe including Essos) is a big game of Cyvasse. I'm pretty sure that Tywin and Littlefinger are players, along with Bloodraven. But I also think Jon Arryn and Prince Doran are (or were) players. 

GRRM has given us glimpses of Cyvasse, but he has deliberately obscured the nature of the game as a whole and he refused to let the marketing people invent a version of the game to sell in the real world. I think this is because it is a metaphor for the larger game within the novels (maybe the game is the same thing you call "statecraft"), it cannot be reduced to a format that can be played in the real world and he doesn't (yet) want us to know how it is won or lost. (Although I suspect that the goal of the game is to get one of your game pieces into the throne, not for a player to occupy the throne him or herself. This is why Bloodraven and Tywin are Hands of the King but not kings themselves.) 

It seems as if part of the game is to train up a new player to be your replacement. Tywin trains Tyrion although Tyrion doesn't realize that is what is going on. (But maybe Tywin is also training Cersei?) Prince Doran is training Arianne although she thinks he is training Quentyn and betraying her. Or is he training all three of his children - Trystane is the one who excels at Cyvasse. Littlefinger is training Sansa. Maybe Quaithe is training Dany? Or Illyrio Mopatis is training both Dany and fAegon / Young Griff? I'm thinking Balon was training Theon and Asha until Theon was removed from his vicinity. 

Maybe Garth Greenhands, Lann the Clever, The Storm King and Bran the Builder were the original giants and the original players in the Game of Thrones. We know that Bran the Builder built Storm's End, Winterfell and The Wall. For The Wall, he used giants as laborers -perhaps symbolic of training the next generation of players for the game. 

Littlefinger's family sigil is the head of the Titan of Braavos, so we have a link between him and giants. Tywin controls Gregor Clegane (whose head is later sent to Prince Doran) so there is a giant connection for Lannisters and Martells. The Eyrie is built on a mountain called The Giant's Lance. Not sure about a giant for Dany although Strong Belwas might count. For fAegon, the giant turtle known as the Old Man of the River might be the giant - possibly representing the Rhoyne river itself? Tyrion might get more "instruction" from the river giant than fAegon receives, as Tyrion goes swimming and falls into the river a couple of times. (And he beats fAegon at Cyvasse.) 

Interestingly, Joffrey has a giant but he loses him: The Hound is a loyal guardian for Joffrey but he parts from him at the Battle of the Blackwater where he kisses Sansa before departing and eventually teams up with Arya on the road. Maybe Sansa destroying Sweetrobin's doll is related to her taking a kiss (or trading a song for a kiss) when Sandor is in her bedchamber. 

Jon Snow provides Wun Wun with a diet he loves - we often see Jon Snow feeding others but rarely do we see him eating. He also learns some words from the language spoken by the giants. 

If these giant "players" are able to manipulate pawns, then Littlefinger showing Sansa how to build her snow castle may be comparable to Bran the Builder instructing giants to build the Wall. Wall-building (or building in general) may be part of playing the Game of Thrones / Cyvasse. 

But wall-destroying may be another part of the game: Pyke is crumbling and the Greyjoy Rebellion was defeated when part of the wall of Pyke was breached by Robert's forces. Cersei burns the Tower of the Hand. Dany's dragons can fly over walls and she sends Ser Jorah and Ser Barristan through sewers to infiltrate Meereen. Harrenhal is crumbling but various castellans and Lords want to restore it. (Arya scrubs steps to try to make abandoned parts of Harrenhal habitable again.) Ygritte tells Jon Snow that a horn was found in the grave of a giant but it is not the Horn of Joramun, although Mance wanted the Night's Watch to think that it was. 

The wildlings - including giants - try to breach the wall before they are allowed by Jon to walk through the tunnel to live among the Night's Watch. In the battle, in that tunnel, the smith named Donal Noye kills and is killed by a giant called Mag Mar Tun Doh Weg. Maybe this is like a chess match that ends in a draw. Smith vs. Giant. (Smiths are associated with Bran the Builder.) 

I guess we would need to look at other giant-linked characters to pursue this and see if the logic holds up: the roaring giant of House Umber's sigil, Ygritte's I am the Last of the Giants song, etc. 

I know this is rambling. I do this when I'm "thinking by writing," sorting out new ideas by putting them into words. Sorry about that. 

There is also the part in AGoT when Tyrion talks to Jon about being a bastard, and says "all dwarfs are bastards in their fathers eyes, but not all bastards need be dwarfs" and then Tyrion walks back inside, and for a moment his shadow stands tall as any king. So.. man thats fuckin cool. I don't really know how to analyze it, but damn. And then there's the scene with Jon at the wall, I don't remember which book, maybe its after he shoots rattle shirt in the cage, but his shadow stands tall on the wall as he walks away. So there's also the metaphor of shadow involved with gaintness. And Melisandre takes so much of Stannises shadow that he barely has any left. So it can be taken. I know these things are not neccisarily related, and honestly I would prefer them not to be to directly because I really like Jon and Tyrion and I Melisandre is creepy as fuck. 

Jon and Tyrion also are very central to the story, there's something there between them. I think they're sort of one of the axises for the whole story. One is a dwarf, who is a bastard, the other a bastard who need not be a dwarf. And metaphorically they are both quite large. I don't know. They both want to help people. both have been scorned. They're sorta like reflections of each other. Maybe. 

But yeah, who are the giants. So this is interesting, one has literal giants, who are, in the physical dimension giants, and then you have giants who are large in a ... different way. Its almost as if this is a theme. When something exists it exists on several different levels. So there is Magic and Prophesy. Ohhhh there's dragon glass and Valyrian steel, one made by man, like the metaphorical giants who are large among their peers, and then there's the dragon glass, made by the earth like the literal giants. Why does fire kill wights then. Apart from it being the whole theme of the books

Idk. 

I know y'all have prolly seen this a lot but I'm really excited about it. I have like a millions thoughts on it. So I think the series is about balance. And if it is, I wonder how this all ties in

@Orion2@Seams

I think you will enjoy all these references to ants that I classify as Gods' views or Giant POVs:

"An ant who hears the words of a king may not comprehend what he is saying," Melisandre said, "and all men are ants before the fiery face of god

Memories walked with her. Clouds seen from above. Horses small as ants thundering through the grass. A silver moon, almost close enough to touch. Rivers running bright and blue below, glimmering in the sun. Will I ever see such sights again? On Drogon's back she felt whole. Up in the sky the woes of this world could not touch her. How could she abandon that?

Where did all the ants come from? Dany brushed them from her arms and legs and belly. She ran a hand across her stubbly scalp where her hair had burned away, and felt more ants on her head, and one crawling down the back of her neck. She knocked them off and crushed them under her bare feet. There were so many

It turned out that their anthill was on the other side of her wall. She wondered how the ants had managed to climb over it and find her. To them these tumbledown stones must loom as huge as the Wall of Westeros. The biggest wall in all the world, her brother Viserys used to say, as proud as if he'd built it himself.

The gaunt outlines of huge catapults and monstrous wooden cranes stood sentry up there, like the skeletons of great birds, and among them walked men in black as small as ants

Yet from here she could see everything: the Red Keep's tall towers and great cornerforts, the maze of city streets beyond, to south and west the river running black, the bay to the east, the columns of smoke and cinders, and fires, fires everywhere. Soldiers crawled over the city walls like ants with torches, and crowded the hoardings that had sprouted from the ramparts

A vast blue-white wall plugged one end of the vale, squeezing between the mountains as if it had shouldered them aside, and for a moment he thought he had dreamed himself back to Castle Black. Then he realized he was looking at a river of ice several thousand feet high. Under that glittering cold cliff was a great lake, its deep cobalt waters reflecting the snowcapped peaks that ringed it. There were men down in the valley, he saw now; many men, thousands, a huge host. Some were tearing great holes in the half-frozen ground, while others trained for war. He watched as a swarming mass of riders charged a shield wall, astride horses no larger than ants

Beyond the line of warships, Davos could see the Red Keep up on Aegon's High Hill, dark against a lemon sky, with the mouth of the Rush opening out below. Across the river the south shore was black with men and horses, stirring like angry ants as they caught sight of the approaching ships

Then the septry erupted, the Mummers boiling out like angry ants

Around the walls the hosts of Lords Declarant were stirring, emerging from their tents like ants from an anthill. If only they were truly ants, she thought, we could step on them and crush them.

2 hours ago, Tucu said:

@Orion2@Seams

I think you will enjoy all these references to ants that I classify as Gods' views or Giant POVs:

This is awesome:) Thats such cool way to look at it. Its reeeaally  interesting that danys view on drogon is that of God/Gaint. That combined with her observation that the worlds troubles could not touch her on drogons back, and her lack? of concern at crushing the literal ants. Maybe I'm just weird, I hate it when people kill insects. Honestly it was fine for her to kill them. But anywaaay..I think thats a great example. If you combine that with Aegons dream about the dancing dragons you have a nice lil ants/people metaphor. 

What about Jon tho. Why the god view there. Ahhh lets see. The Melisandre quote. I hate her, lets see what we can do with this:leer:. So Melisandre is an ant, and admits it, so why tf should anyone listen to her. fuck her:rofl:. Tbh she's an interesting character but god I wish shed leave Jon alone. 

So what about the other stuff. Maybe there's a reason for all this? Maybe its justfrickin cool writing. Idk. Theres honestly no line between cool writing and meaning for me. its hard to say how much of this is International by Martin. I bet he just comes up with a lot of it organically. 

Well here's something. Jon is about to be in charge of all these wildings fates, so he certainly warrants that god position. I mean I feel like this ^ is pretty weak. idk. Martin does scale, awe, dread, idk like that kind of thing soooo well. 

13 hours ago, Seams said:

I've always thought Walder was playing Lord of the Crossing with Robb when they meet just before wedding. "Mayhaps a sausage..."

Archived