Watch Watched Watching: May The Fourth be with you!

TheLastWolf

I watched A Silent Voice, the anime movie. Finding it quite tricky to think about, because it's an extremely well-made and well-told movie about difficult subjects, and much of it hits home, but the central point of the movie is a former bully deciding to get in contact with the person he bullied to 'atone' and despite some hemming and hawwing this is ultimately made into a positive.  Eww.

Whoa, you're fast. Didn't you just finished BB few days ago? Justified has its ups and downs, but season one is definitely not the best, apart from a very tense finale.

I watch shows as fast as Raylan Givens draws his gun when there is the unfortunate combination of lockdown and holidays to contend with ;) 

You know @3CityApache everyone keeps telling me that Justified is not really that good in season one, but I already enjoyed the heck out of it. Up to episode 5 of the second season now and this is such a doozy. Last episode I watched they shot Chadwick Boseman, who played a random bit character that episode. Beautiful stuff if they can even use thespians like that for that type of role :D 

Watched Aguirre, The Wrath of God since Fitzcarraldo put me in the mood, and again I'll refer to Veltigar's post from December about that one. Very good film, less meandering than the later film, with this wonderful symbol of a raft of men aimlessly sailing down the Amazon, their expedition progressively falling apart due to the madness of Aguirre and his desire for fame and power. The real life Lope de Aguirre is generally agreed by historians to have been a homidical maniac, and Kinski captures it -- though he and Herzog had wild arguments over just how "loud" to play him. Herzog mostly won, and I think all for the better. The quiet madness was very engaging.

@Ran I tried googling my original post for it, because I know I must have written an extensive piece on the film a long time ago. Did you check the IMDB trivia for this film? It's not as crazy as Fitzcarraldo but there were again death threats, near-drownings and video camera's stolen from Herzog film school involved in making this master piece :D 

To this day, I'm convinced that Kinski didn't really act in this film. If anyone was as loopy as Lope de Aguirre in real life it was him, down to the creepy attitude to his daughter. It's a shame that Kinski is so repulsive, because he was a legend.

22 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

@Ran I tried googling my original post for it, because I know I must have written an extensive piece on the film a long time ago. Did you check the IMDB trivia for this film? It's not as crazy as Fitzcarraldo but there were again death threats, near-drownings and video camera's stolen from Herzog film school involved in making this master piece :D 

35mm film camera, to be precise! And yeah, just ... bonkers. The best story is Herzog's about the monkeys, and his posing as a veterinarian so that he could steal them away when the people he paid to collect them for the shoot were preparing to sell them to someone else for more money. Crazy stuff.

22 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

To this day, I'm convinced that Kinski didn't really act in this film.

Did you get a chance to look at that Fitzcarraldo documentary  I mentioned? It can be found on Vimeo. There's some fairly humanizing bits in there for Kinski, like his role in patching up the DP's hand when it was slashed open during the rapids scene, and his trying to build a roasting pit. But he was clearly mentally ill. Aguirre has the argument escalating to Herzog threatening to shoot Kinski and then himself, with Kinski claiming that Herzog actually produced a gun (Herzog denies it), but don't think anything can top Fitzcarraldo and Herzog getting so fed up that he went to Kinski's home to burn it down to the ground with Kinski still in it, only for Kinski's dog to scare him off...

Actually, here's a clip of Herzog going on one of his meditative monologues about the jungle:

15 minutes ago, Ran said:

35mm film camera, to be precise! And yeah, just ... bonkers. The best story is Herzog's about the monkeys, and his posing as a veterinarian so that he could steal them away when the people he paid to collect them for the shoot were preparing to sell them to someone else for more money. Crazy stuff.

Did you get a chance to look at that Fitzcarraldo documentary  I mentioned? It can be found on Vimeo. There's some fairly humanizing bits in there for Kinski, like his role in patching up the DP's hand when it was slashed open during the rapids scene, and his trying to build a roasting pit. But he was clearly mentally ill. Aguirre has the argument escalating to Herzog threatening to shoot Kinski and then himself, with Kinski claiming that Herzog actually produced a gun (Herzog denies it), but don't think anything can top Fitzcarraldo and Herzog getting so fed up that he went to Kinski's home to burn it down to the ground with Kinski still in it, only for Kinski's dog to scare him off...

Actually, here's a clip of Herzog going on one of his meditative monologues about the jungle:

Didn't Herzog's crew offer to kill Kinski for him during the production of one of these movies, only for Herzog to decline because he might need Kinski for reshoots?

13 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Didn't Herzog's crew offer to kill Kinski for him during the production of one of these movies, only for Herzog to decline because he might need Kinski for reshoots?

I believe it was one or two of the indigenous extras who offered to kill him for him, yeah.

Another good one is My Best Fiend (Mein liebster feind), Herzog's documentary about Herzog and their relationship, which opens with some wild footage of Kinski domineering a crowd and nearly getting into a fight (or two) with the crowd. Followed by Herzog recounting how as a teenager he first met Kinski when Kinski was taken into a boarding house he and his family were staying in, and what a bizzare and troubling person he was.

I'm about five episodes into The Queen's Gambit.  It's nothing incredible and I'll no doubt have completely forgotten everything that happened in it a month from now, but it's been a pleasant binge.

52 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Almost a shame he turned it down really. I'm not in favour of the death penalty ever there was a man that needed ending...

The Mitchells vs. The Machines on Netflix was a pleasant surprise. Came out of nowhere but it has a stellar cast (Olivia Coleman as the villain is outstanding) and the animation style is excellent. It's made by some of the same team as Into the Spider-Verse. It's nowhere near as stylised as Spider-Verse and the script isn't as sharp, but it's still a very accomplished, witty film with some good gags and a really interesting element of adding 2D elements over the CG animation to create something quite interesting.

It's probably a tad on the long side: the end credits are absurdly long so it's not the 2 hours it shows up as, more like 1 hour 45, which is still pushing it for an animated family comedy.

The Furby scene they put out in the trailers is probably the best scene in the film though, which is something I wish movies would stop doing.

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

You know @3CityApache everyone keeps telling me that Justified is not really that good in season one, but I already enjoyed the heck out of it. Up to episode 5 of the second season now and this is such a doozy. Last episode I watched they shot Chadwick Boseman, who played a random bit character that episode. Beautiful stuff if they can even use thespians like that for that type of role :D 

That might have been me. Despite being some time since my last watch, I think Season 1 is uneven (particularly with Boyd's character and arc) until Bo Crowder shows up and is one of the weaker seasons along with Season 5. I'd probably put Seasons 2 and 4 at the top, 3 and 6 in the middle, and 1 and 5 at the bottom in terms of quality.

Did not realize Chadwick Boseman was in Justified (much less Season 2 which many consider the best). That was way before he got famous.. Wish Amazon Prime still had it for streaming.

Two Assholes Lost in the Woods: An Oral History of ‘Pine Barrens’

9 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Did not realize Chadwick Boseman was in Justified (much less Season 2 which many consider the best). That was way before he got famous.. Wish Amazon Prime still had it for streaming.

I never realized that was him either, the guy who wanted to be a magician. All the FX stuff moved to Hulu a bit ago. So if you're outside the US it's not available. Though I think they're supposed to remedy that later this year. 

Edit: oh wait it looks like they already added the Hulu content to Disney+ outside the use as Star

14 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I've watched Justified all the way through at least three or four times and this information is shocking to me.  Now that I googled it, I can see it, but I don't think I ever would have noticed that had you not posted about it.

4 hours ago, briantw said:

I'm about five episodes into The Queen's Gambit.  It's nothing incredible and I'll no doubt have completely forgotten everything that happened in it a month from now, but it's been a pleasant binge.

Those were my thoughts as well. It's mildly enjoyable, but I can't see myself rewatching it. Anya Taylor-Joy is a real emerging star though.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Those were my thoughts as well. It's mildly enjoyable, but I can't see myself rewatching it. Anya Taylor-Joy is a real emerging star though.

I re-watched it a little while ago. Loved it again. One of the most compelling shows I've watched in a long time. Anya Taylor-Joy is mesmerizing. 

55 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I re-watched it a little while ago. Loved it again. One of the most compelling shows I've watched in a long time. Anya Taylor-Joy is mesmerizing. 

Her performance was great, and seeing once was enough for me. I'm curious to see what she does in Furiosa

13 hours ago, Myrddin said:

This is the May. I mean Way.

Attention Jedi Scum! The Fourth is no longer with you, Today is the Revenge of the Fifth! 

Today's revenge of the Fifth. Tomorrow is Revenge of the Sixth. Both are Sith days, since there are always two, no more, no less.

Courtesy: @thunderpoptv

Plus absolutes 

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

:agree:

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

Two Assholes Lost in the Woods: An Oral History of ‘Pine Barrens’

I never realized that was him either, the guy who wanted to be a magician. All the FX stuff moved to Hulu a bit ago. So if you're outside the US it's not available. Though I think they're supposed to remedy that later this year. 

Edit: oh wait it looks like they already added the Hulu content to Disney+ outside the use as Star

8 hours ago, WarGalley said:

That might have been me. Despite being some time since my last watch, I think Season 1 is uneven (particularly with Boyd's character and arc) until Bo Crowder shows up and is one of the weaker seasons along with Season 5. I'd probably put Seasons 2 and 4 at the top, 3 and 6 in the middle, and 1 and 5 at the bottom in terms of quality.

7 hours ago, briantw said:

I've watched Justified all the way through at least three or four times and this information is shocking to me.  Now that I googled it, I can see it, but I don't think I ever would have noticed that had you not posted about it.

He's only in it for a short while and the bandana his character wears  makes him harder to spot. The real reason why no one recognizes him is his voice though. Perhaps that's his normal accent or perhaps I'm just to used to his Wakanda twang but when I spotted him, I had to IMDB it because he sounded nothing like T'Challa. 

13 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I think that's Fitzcarraldo. It was the chief of one the tribes that supplied extras

13 hours ago, Ran said:

The burning info is new to me XD I haven't seen it yet, but I have to put it on my list again.

Archived