Watch Watched Watching: May The Fourth be with you!

TheLastWolf

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Those were my thoughts as well. It's mildly enjoyable, but I can't see myself rewatching it. Anya Taylor-Joy is a real emerging star though.

Yeah same, it was a good show, enjoyably paced. But I find a lot of the praise for it a little baffling, maybe because I found the ending a little mawkish.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah same, it was a good show, enjoyably paced. But I find a lot of the praise for it a little baffling, maybe because I found the ending a little mawkish.

I think the praise is deserving even if I don't love the show. It's really impressive how they made so many people think the story was a biopic. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think the praise is deserving even if I don't love the show. It's really impressive how they made so many people think the story was a biopic. 

I thought it was.. but only because they didn’t make it clear that the story was made up ( or ripped from other male chess players). 

Finding out that it was all a fiction spoilt it quite a bit for me actually.

28 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I thought it was.. but only because they didn’t make it clear that the story was made up ( or ripped from other male chess players). 

I did until after the second or third episode when I tried Googling the main character. Taylor-Joy is so unique looking and I was curious if the real Beth Harmon looked anything like her.

47 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Why would that spoil it?  My guess is that a lot of people, if not most people, myself included, thought it was based on a true story, but I don't see why that would change your enjoyment of it.

52 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Why would they? Normally, those stories based on a true story say "Based on a true story". I've literally never seen a TV show that said "Not based on a true story" at the beginning.

7 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Why would that spoil it?  My guess is that a lot of people, if not most people, myself included, thought it was based on a true story, but I don't see why that would change your enjoyment of it.

Yea, me neither. I looked it up, saw it was fictional and shrugged. It didn't diminish even a second of my enjoyment.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yea, me neither. I looked it up, saw it was fictional and shrugged. It didn't diminish even a second of my enjoyment.

Same.  I might have felt a twinge of disappointment that it wasn't a true story, because what a great story, but as far as changing how I viewed the show, it had no effect. 

12 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Because i was watching thinking ‘oh wow that’s really interesting there was a female chess player who was like that and achieved all those things, what a great story’. Finding out none of it happened kind of diminishes the power of the story 

Up to the end of season 2 of Justified, just one episode left and I have got to ask a burning question to those of you from that part of the States. Is everyone in Eastern Kentucky involved in illegal activity? Justified sure seems to imply it XD

43 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Is everyone in Eastern Kentucky involved in illegal activity?

Tradition for a state founded on massive southern (particularly Virginians, as Kentucky was carved out of VA) land grab and speculation, illiterate surveyors (See: Daniel Boone), get-rich-quick on land deals lawyers (See: Henry Clay), corrupt politics, gambling of all kinds including horse races, tax evasion, moon-shining and bootlegging, meth, crack and opioids.  Not to mention poaching.  Applies equally to come-lately, compared to high-nosed Virginia and Kentucky, Tennessee.  See: Andrew Jackson.

I never understood, at the end of the first episode of Justified Winona calls him "The angriest man I've ever known." Was she thinking of Bullock? I realize he has some issues with his father, but generally he seems pretty well adjusted. Maybe that's just because I'm used to Deadwood where you can often see him barely able to contain his rage. 

Re: Queen's Gambit, I've been meaning to ask, is it worth watching if you don't play chess? I imagine it wouldn't be as enjoyable.

The season 2 finale of FAM was quite good. Doesn't fix most of my issues with it, but I'll probably give season 3 a chance.

I also realized I've always wanted to watch The Crown, so that might be the next thing after Anne with an E.

1 minute ago, Mindwalker said:

Re: Queen's Gambit, I've been meaning to ask, is it worth watching if you don't play chess?

Yup, definitely. I don't play chess regularly, I just know the rules and I enjoyed the hell out of it (knowing the rules isn't necessary either). 

44 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Re: Queen's Gambit, I've been meaning to ask, is it worth watching if you don't play chess? I imagine it wouldn't be as enjoyable.

I think so. Chess is just the mechanism to show someone get to the top of the game while dealing with their own demons. It makes chess compelling and that's a major feet in and of itself.

Watched Spike Lee's Clockers. Felt very much like an up-and-coming filmmaker's kinda movie, which is kinda weird given that Spike had already made great movies like She's Gotta Have It, Do The Right Thing and Malcolm X by this point in his career so this was a big step backwards. Also made me realize that maybe film isn't the best medium to tell this type of story given that this felt like a draft of what this story could be (The Wire).

43 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I never understood, at the end of the first episode of Justified Winona calls him "The angriest man I've ever known." Was she thinking of Bullock? I realize he has some issues with his father, but generally he seems pretty well adjusted. Maybe that's just because I'm used to Deadwood where you can often see him barely able to contain his rage. 

I haven't watched Justified in a long time; but I did get the feeling when watching it that his issues with his father played a large role in his characterization. Like why does Raylan usually try to escalate situations to satisfy his shoot first ask questions later instincts? Or why he gears conversations in a way where there's a winner (usually him) and a loser?

I finished all four seasons of TurnReally enjoyed that.  Had only seen it once, so I had forgotten quite a bit

including the return of Major Hewlett.

I had also forgotten how much I enjoyed the finale.

Started rewatching The Man in the High Castle.  Ed's description of Hitler in the first episode had me lol'ing, as it definitely reminded me of someone else (@0:13 below).

4 minutes ago, Cashless Society said:

I haven't watched Justified in a long time; but I did get the feeling when watching it that his issues with his father played a large role in his characterization. Like why does Raylan usually try to escalate situations to satisfy his shoot first ask questions later instincts? Or why he gears conversations in a way where there's a winner (usually him) and a loser?

Yeah. But most of the time he doesn't seem very angry. Like as I recall he never snaps and shoots first. A lot of the time he's just eating his ice cream like he hasn't a care in the world.

Archived