Watch Watched Watching: May The Fourth be with you!

TheLastWolf

28 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Started rewatching The Man in the High Castle.  Ed's description of Hitler in the first episode had me lol'ing, as it definitely reminded me of someone else (@0:13 below).

I only watched the first season, but I want to get back to this show sometime soon. Is it true that the later seasons get super weird?

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I only watched the first season, but I want to get back to this show sometime soon. Is it true that the later seasons get super weird?

It really does, but in a good way (at least for me).

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

I never understood, at the end of the first episode of Justified Winona calls him "The angriest man I've ever known." Was she thinking of Bullock? I realize he has some issues with his father, but generally he seems pretty well adjusted. Maybe that's just because I'm used to Deadwood where you can often see him barely able to contain his rage. 

My assumption (and it might be way off base) is that someone - maybe an executive - decided that the only reason anybody cared about Timothy Olyphant was Bullock, so they tried to push the creative team to make him less Raylan Givens and more 'Bullock but it's modern times'. And the writers played along when they had to but ultimately ignored it, until it became obvious that the character worked as it was.

9 hours ago, Cashless Society said:

Watched Spike Lee's Clockers. Felt very much like an up-and-coming filmmaker's kinda movie, which is kinda weird given that Spike had already made great movies like She's Gotta Have It, Do The Right Thing and Malcolm X by this point in his career so this was a big step backwards. Also made me realize that maybe film isn't the best medium to tell this type of story given that this felt like a draft of what this story could be (The Wire).

I love Clockers. Very underrated Spike Lee film, imo (and probably my favorite). I’m a big Harvey Keitel fan though. 

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It went off the rails for me. I watched probably half or more of S2 before quitting. 

This week i struggled through The Falcon and The Winter Soldier.Only 6 episodes so managed to finish it.What was the point of this mediocre show?

Another superhero show i am looking forward to dropped today: Jupiter’s Legacy. The reviews are not good but i will give it a try still.

Whether Jupiter’s Legacy is found lacking as a vehicle for delving into the way grief can lay even the most powerful people low, as a mismatched superhero team-up in the vein of Umbrella Academy and The Boys and Doom Patrol, or as a commentary on superhero daddy issues like Invincible or Superman & Lois, this eight-episode drama is one of the weakest and most forgettable entries in the busy genre. It’s a derivative bore, without even visual inspiration to compensate.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-reviews/jupiters-legacy-1234949528/

18 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I finished all four seasons of TurnReally enjoyed that.  Had only seen it once, so I had forgotten quite a bit

Reveal hidden contents

including the return of Major Hewlett.

I had also forgotten how much I enjoyed the finale.

Started rewatching The Man in the High Castle.  Ed's description of Hitler in the first episode had me lol'ing, as it definitely reminded me of someone else (@0:13 below).

I *think* we watched the first two seasons of this but then forgot about it. There were lots of things to like about it, I especially enjoyed the moody colour palette - it looked great.

15 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I get why some people might like The Wilds but it’s really just Lost for teens. Since I’m not a teen, and I’ve seen Lost, I’m not going to be continuing to watch this show. 

It's Lost with Teenagers not Lost for teenagers. I was a big fan of Lost and I enjoyed The Wilds too (definitely not a teen).

I keep trying to start films but I can't concentrate on them (or books) at the moment. I have tried twice to start a zombie series called Black Summer but I just found the lead actress absolutely intolerable on my ears and I had to turn it off.

It's Lost with Teenagers not Lost for teenagers. I was a big fan of Lost and I enjoyed The Wilds too (definitely not a teen).

I don’t agree with that, I’d say it’s definitely aimed at the teenage market. I get that some people who are older might enjoy it, but I feel like I’ve seen it all before somewhere else 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I don’t agree with that, I’d say it’s definitely aimed at the teenage market. I get that some people who are older might enjoy it, but I feel like I’ve seen it all before somewhere else 

Agree that it would appeal more to teens than adults but we (two adults in their early 40's) enjoyed the drama and mystery of it - much the same way we did with Lost.

This afternoon I sort of watched The Devil All The Time and it was kind of painful in some ways and just sad and miserable in other ways. I wonder how I would have felt about this if I'd seen it at the cinema. I feel like it's almost got a kind of art house 'everything is hard and then you die but also everything is connected lol' vibe to it which is reminscent of lots of arty films I've seen. 

22 hours ago, Cashless Society said:

Also made me realize that maybe film isn't the best medium to tell this type of story given that this felt like a draft of what this story could be (The Wire).

Clockers (1992) is a well-reviewed novel by successful author, Richard Price (his first novel was The Wanderers, which also got turned into a film), who also began writing for Simon in later days of the Wire, along with other best selling crime novelists.  Price also contributed to the screenplay for Spike's film, as well as many, many others, before and after.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0697115/

On 5/5/2021 at 10:57 PM, Werthead said:

The Mitchells vs. The Machines on Netflix was a pleasant surprise.

Decided to watch this, as I hadn't heard of it. Agree with you that it was a bit overlong. It also felt, in its family archetypes, kind of derivative of The Incredibles. That said, it was pretty engaging. And Monchi is a star. They should do a short or two about him.

Have watched the latest season of The Handmaid's Tale. Not good. They are twisting themselves into knots figuring out ways for June to stay alive after one ridiculous situation after another. 

Spoiler

Consider how June is restrained when captured, vs. how the handmaids have cheap handcuffs on and only a driver and Aunt Lydia to keep them in line for when they make their next break out attempt. Pathetic. The show's so willfully inconsistent, even within episodes. And they talk about how they have 8 seasons of this stuff that they could do...

On an individual scene level, of course, the actors are great (mostly). But the narrative is a creaking monstrosity that they don't seem to have any real control of.

Watched more Mare of Easttown, they didn't do the thing I thought they were going to do, so it's gotten a bit more interesting. Still feels very rote, but I do love Winslet.

The Nevers is getting better and better, IMO. It's a very juicy show for those who like having mysteries and puzzles to work through.

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

Have watched the latest season of The Handmaid's Tale. Not good. They are twisting themselves into knots figuring out ways for June to stay alive after one ridiculous situation after another. 

I only watched a few episodes, but I'm curious, how have they turned the story into a show with several seasons? The book isn't that long and does not have an ending that would allow for a show to be anything more than a miniseries IMO.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I only watched a few episodes, but I'm curious, how have they turned the story into a show with several seasons? The book isn't that long and does not have an ending that would allow for a show to be anything more than a miniseries IMO.

Oh, yes. The first season was more or less the book, everything since has been pure invention.

Atwood's sequel, The Testaments, which came out a year or two ago was pretty clearly written to disown the TV show to some degree. There's some particular details that are clearly and quite deliberately incompatible with the show's version of events and characters.

I want to join the official Dewey Crowe fan club. There has to be one, as this guy is just too good. In a show as star studded as "we are going to use Chadwick Boseman for a throwaway bit character" Justified, that guy just stands out. He's better than Olyphant and Goggins, despite the fact that those guys are just completely lit.

I just watched SE3-EP05 where some ponytail dirt bag tricks 

Spoiler

Dewey into believing that he stole both his kidneys and then forces him to go on a robbery spree to ransom his organs back. As brilliant and bonkers as that is, my favorite bit comes in the end when Dewey locked himself into the storage room of a shotgun wielding, God fearing gas station owner and Raylan convinces him to take a piss to prove that he still has all his kidneys and then - And this is absolutely the best line delivery ever - he realizes he is safe and shouts out "Holy shit, you mean I had four kidneys" :lmao:

Here is the entire scene :lmao:

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Oh, yes. The first season was more or less the book, everything since has been pure invention.

Atwood's sequel, The Testaments, which came out a year or two ago was pretty clearly written to disown the TV show to some degree. There's some particular details that are clearly and quite deliberately incompatible with the show's version of events and characters.

I guess that's the response I should have expected, though I didn't know the sequel was meant as a repudiation of sorts of the show. 

I'm in the middle of Money Heist. Not good, not terrible. Sort of okay. I find the emotional moments of the characters as vehicles of drama as very eyerolling. I never feel like I want to see the next episode but I'm on episode 5 so there's something for that.

Came home late last night, switched on the television and caught an early Kenneth Branagh film called Dead Again. I didn't know anything about it, but I was gripped by the opening. Glad that I watched it because this is a gem I was glad to discover. It reminds me of Ghost in a way that it tells a very emotional story based on a silly premise, but it commits to it completely which I really liked. The cast is great and I liked the story a lot. Definitely a strong recommendation from my end for anyone looking for an old-fashioned detective film.  

I met a millennial who had not seen My Fair Lady! Watch it for Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison. Watch it for the funny bits, awful pedagogy, and costumes. It is mainly about class barriers, but don’t tell. If you want something less musical there is always Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw:) as this play is what the above is based on.

Archived