Watch Watched Watching: May The Fourth be with you!

TheLastWolf

46 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

See I don’t have surround sound and I always assumed that the issue would be fixed if I was to get it. So much of the balance is a mess on many movies, speech is mixed in so heavily with background noise. 

I don't use my sound bar and I still hold the remote in my hand. finger on the volume button for some movies and constantly move it up and down depending on the scene.

38 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I don't use my sound bar and I still hold the remote in my hand. finger on the volume button for some movies and constantly move it up and down depending on the scene.

Haha, actually I have an unplugged sound bar, unplugged because it seemed to make the problem even worse 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

See I don’t have surround sound and I always assumed that the issue would be fixed if I was to get it. So much of the balance is a mess on many movies, speech is mixed in so heavily with background noise. 

Nope.  All it means is that the loud parts shake the room, but you still can't hear what the fuck anyone is saying. 

2 hours ago, briantw said:

It's obnoxious.  How in the fuck are so few movies properly balanced in the audio department?  I have to watch so much with subtitles because I live in a giant apartment building and have surround sound.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Not gonna lie; I watched it with subtitles he first time. Holy crap there's a lot of exposition in that movie. Yes, the mix could be better.

I have a pair of decent noise cancelling headphones that seem to be the best option for films like that. 

I found Gomorra seasons 1-3 on HBOMax. Haven't seen season 3 yet. Eagerly anticipating the 3rd and final season of Mr. Inbetween on FX.

Also learned the creators of Dark have a new sow in the works for Netflix: 1899. Not much is known at this point besides a brief plot and actors, but I'm intrigued since I loved Dark.https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/netflix-first-look-1899-from-dark-creators-4177250/ 

16 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Tenet was amazing. Bonkers. So Bonkers I can't even.

It's first time I watched a film where I made the conscious decision to say, "Screw it. Just go with it. Unravelling this will take multiple viewings." Did it make sense? Hell if I know. All I know is Christopher Nolan filmed a massive action sequence going backward and forward in time simultaneously and, "Fuck you if you can't keep up."  The cast iron balls on that man.

I did also like the bit in the 'making of' where they explain their approach to filming the plane crashing into the building was to crash a real plane into a building, because why not?

Wasted three hours of my life yesterday watching Boring Ly... I mean Barry Lyndon. Fuck you Kubrick. I don't know why I keep giving his films a chance. Probably the most overrated of the great directors. He's made exactly 1.5 great films (Paths of Glory and the first half of Full Metal Jacket) and all his other films I have seen are just too clinically detached to care about.

Barry Lyndon is boring on top of that. I had to break the film up in three sittings due to its length and every single part felt like it was longer than three hours. I have seen glaciers move faster than this. Ryan O'Neal looks like an unhappy sheep dog throughout the entire film (or at least the majority of the scenes, in some he looks constipated) and everything happens so slow it's like a damn Zach Snyder film cut down to only the slow mo parts. 

The film also looks ugly. Of course, part of that has to do with the time it is set in. There is a reason why a lot of film makers skip over this era I suppose. You get enough faux-medieval and sword and sandals films, but  periwig and petticoats type of big historical drama are in short supply.

The only positive thing I have to say about the entire thing is that the score was great. They also did some impressive things with the lighting so that they could shoot scenes entirely by candlelight. Impressive technical wizardry but I didn't really see the point. 

Started Resident Alien. 5 episodes in and it's hilarious. Not surprised at all, as you can never go wrong with Alan Tudyk, and the show hangs very heavily on him, though there is quite a few other strong performances as well, including his 8 years old nemesis.

Barry Lyndon is ugly?! Whaaaaaaat?!

I get the boring criticism, it is slow and the way it’s broken up makes it hard to feel involved.

I love it though. Was reading the other day that Kubrick was planning his Napoleon movie but when it couldn’t get made he did this instead, and that is where he used those special cameras to capture candle light.. that’s why anyone saying it’s ugly is off their rocker IMO

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Wasted three hours of my life yesterday watching Boring Ly... I mean Barry Lyndon. Fuck you Kubrick. I don't know why I keep giving his films a chance. Probably the most overrated of the great directors. He's made exactly 1.5 great films (Paths of Glory and the first half of Full Metal Jacket) and all his other films I have seen are just too clinically detached to care about.

Barry Lyndon is boring on top of that. I had to break the film up in three sittings due to its length and every single part felt like it was longer than three hours. I have seen glaciers move faster than this. Ryan O'Neal looks like an unhappy sheep dog throughout the entire film (or at least the majority of the scenes, in some he looks constipated) and everything happens so slow it's like a damn Zach Snyder film cut down to only the slow mo parts. 

The film also looks ugly. Of course, part of that has to do with the time it is set in. There is a reason why a lot of film makers skip over this era I suppose. You get enough faux-medieval and sword and sandals films, but  periwig and petticoats type of big historical drama are in short supply.

The only positive thing I have to say about the entire thing is that the score was great. They also did some impressive things with the lighting so that they could shoot scenes entirely by candlelight. Impressive technical wizardry but I didn't really see the point. 

The movie is gorgeous looking and it’s easily one of my favourite Kubrick films ,love the time period ,the score, the atmosphere. Do you hate The Shining as well ? 

17 hours ago, Astromech said:

I found Gomorra seasons 1-3 on HBOMax. Haven't seen season 3 yet. Eagerly anticipating the 3rd and final season of Mr. Inbetween on FX.

Also learned the creators of Dark have a new sow in the works for Netflix: 1899. Not much is known at this point besides a brief plot and actors, but I'm intrigued since I loved Dark.https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/netflix-first-look-1899-from-dark-creators-4177250/ 

I posted the teaser and some info in the Upcoming shows thread last week when the cast photo, teaser and interviews came out. 

What we do know so far, aside from plot synopsis, the cast, and the cast in-character photo (which offers a lot of interesting details to speculate about) is

• season 1 will have 8 episodes and came out in 2022 (they've just started shooting and are to finish it in November
  • Ben Frost, who did the score for Dark, is again the composer;
  • the show will be in multiple languages, and the actors/characters will be speaking in their languages  and we will see characters struggle to understand each other (which makes sense, as it's 1899 and I wouldn't expect every character to speak English fluently back then) - which makes me very excited. You can also hear several different languages in the teaser.
  • they are using a virtual production stage, similar to what The Mandalorian does. They were first planning to go on locations in various countries, but the pandemic makes that impossible, so they're using the virtual stage technique for that. Now, since the show takes place on a ship, this sounds to me like we're going to see flashbacks to get to know the characters' backtories.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/1899-netflix-creators-dark-talk-europes-largest-virtual-production-stage-multilingual-series-1234747377/

A few other actors and writers have mentioned working on the show, and have also been interviews with several of the main cast where they have revealed some basic info about their characters. If you're interesting in more info, you can find egular updates on Twitter fan accounts 1899Netflix and Netflix1899.

While I was going through the hell of waiting for the exchange of contracts on my house earlier this year I started watching Fear the Walking Dead again. Once it gets past all the Madison-centric storyline it actually became SO MUCH better. I mean, I actually really liked Madison as a character but for some reason all of the seasons with her in are really slow and draggy and boring. Yet, all the episodes with Morgan in are good. He is probably the best character in the whole franchise as he's credible AND played by someone who can act. 

I also started watching Cursed on Netflix, featuring the protagonist from 13 Reasons Why (who is really very likeable on screen) in the lead. I only started watching because I was sick and had insomnia but I am semi-engaged with it now. The titles and the little animated cut scenes are very cute. I'm only three episodes in and I hope it picks up a little and does something QUITE different with the legend from what you usually see on screen. I have read a LOAD of Authurian stories in my years, from lots of different angles, so I am hoping for a good version this time. 

Saw Three burials for M. Estrada on Prime.

What a great movie.

Its set on the Tex-Mex border and the story is on both sides of that border.

Stars Tommy Lee Jones, you may also recognize one of the other actors from the Yellowstone series, also the actress that plays Betty on Madmen.

The story is one of Texas or old Mexico justice, it centers around a Cowboy and a border patrol agent. There's a bit of that No Country for Old Men vibe to the whole thing. Just excellent, not sure how I hadn't caught this one before but am glad I did.

Also saw Greenland, enjoyed this one as well.

Its sort of a adrenaline filled Gerard Butler saves his family from the apocalypse type thing.

Nothing deep but a fun action drama, bonus points for cataclysmic meteor showers!

I don't remember anything about Barry Lyndon other than it was slow and very beautiful.  But I guess mileage varies, as I am one of the very few people who thought that Midsomer direction and cinematography was pedestrian.

I could barely make it through one episode of Cursed.

Rewatched the Pelican Brief, which is good but still sort of bad, most enjoyable I guess is watching Julia and Denzel ooze their star power on the screen. 

ETA...speaking of Denzel, while his presence couldn't have saved Tenet, he would, even at his age, have been a huge improvement over his charisma free son.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Also saw Greenland, enjoyed this one as well.

Its sort of a adrenaline filled Gerard Butler saves his family from the apocalypse type thing.

Nothing deep but a fun action drama, bonus points for cataclysmic meteor showers!

I'm probably one of the bigger Gerry fans out there but man this ranks near his worst. The dude is an architect and he doesn't build a single thing while the world is collapsing around him. Weak.

Archived