Watch Watched Watching: May The Fourth be with you!

TheLastWolf

5 hours ago, Isis said:

While I was going through the hell of waiting for the exchange of contracts on my house earlier this year I started watching Fear the Walking Dead again. Once it gets past all the Madison-centric storyline it actually became SO MUCH better. I mean, I actually really liked Madison as a character but for some reason all of the seasons with her in are really slow and draggy and boring. Yet, all the episodes with Morgan in are good. He is probably the best character in the whole franchise as he's credible AND played by someone who can act. 

Huh, I thought the show got a lot worse once they soft-rebooted it with Morgan. The showrunners who took over starting then seemed horrible at their jobs. I never bothered with season six though I've heard it's gotten a bit better. There was a lot of really stupid stuff in seasons four and five. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Huh, I thought the show got a lot worse once they soft-rebooted it with Morgan. The showrunners who took over starting then seemed horrible at their jobs. I never bothered with season six though I've heard it's gotten a bit better. There was a lot of really stupid stuff in seasons four and five. 

I've heard that too. I'm a huge TWD fan but I haven't tried Fear because I have no idea if it is worth it.

11 hours ago, Ran said:

@Veltigar

Boo, hiss, boo! Boo on you, sirrah!

Shall we say pistols at dawn sir? But as a Barry Lyndon fan I don't suppose you'll have much luck on the dueling grounds :P

9 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Barry Lyndon is ugly?! Whaaaaaaat?!

I get the boring criticism, it is slow and the way it’s broken up makes it hard to feel involved.

I love it though. Was reading the other day that Kubrick was planning his Napoleon movie but when it couldn’t get made he did this instead, and that is where he used those special cameras to capture candle light.. that’s why anyone saying it’s ugly is off their rocker IMO

As stated in my original post, a lot of that has to do with the time period. I genuinely hate the wig aesthetic they had going on for them during this part of the Georgian era. That being said, the candle lit scenes didn't do anything for me either. I applaud the technical wizardry, but as I also stated above, I didn't really see the point in putting that much effort into it. It would be better if he had focused on the narrative and the pacing instead of on his damn lenses.

8 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

The movie is gorgeous looking and it’s easily one of my favourite Kubrick films ,love the time period ,the score, the atmosphere. Do you hate The Shining as well ? 

I see you're new here :P Yes, I hate The Shining as well. In fact, before Boring Lyndon came along it was definitely my least favorite Kubrick film. The best thing I can say about it is that I really enjoyed the parody the Simpsons made of it in one of the early Treehouse of Horror episodes.

I'd have to see whether I could find my original review about it, but long story short, a horror movie should keep you up at night with dread, not help you fall asleep. There is some arresting imagery in it, but for the rest there is nothing memorable about it in my book.  

If I'd rank the ones I have seen, I'd say:

1. Paths of Glory
  2. First part of Full Metal Jacket (if I have to rank the second part as well, it becomes difficult)
  3. Dr. Strangelove
  4. 2001
  5. A Clockwork Orange
  6. The Shining
  7. Boring Lyndon

I have seen Spartacus as well, but that has been so long I don't remember it well. Based on my recollections I'd probably put it on the spot right above The Shining in my ranking.

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I don't remember anything about Barry Lyndon other than it was slow and very beautiful.  But I guess mileage varies, as I am one of the very few people who thought that Midsomer direction and cinematography was pedestrian.

Haven't seen that one yet, so unfortunately can't say whether you are a philistine or not :P

9 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Started Resident Alien. 5 episodes in and it's hilarious. Not surprised at all, as you can never go wrong with Alan Tudyk, and the show hangs very heavily on him, though there is quite a few other strong performances as well, including his 8 years old nemesis.

I'm glad someone else is watching it. I stopped after 8 episodes, but I still intend to get back to it. It's utter fluff, but that can be fun too when you have a star like Tudyk to build on.

Watched Rocketman, It was ok, but similarly to Bohemian Rhapsody it didn't work as well for me as I don't love the music of Queen or Elton. 

Started a rewarch of Spaced, can't beleive its 22 years since it came out  

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fuck all that highbrow shit, this is want the people demanded!:

If only the company hadn’t realized they'd been giving me free cable for 3 years and disconnected that shit a few months ago. 

Maybe it’ll be on Hulu. 

16 hours ago, RumHam said:

The stuff with Madison and her kids, where they go to the ranch for a-g-e-s is so slow and dull. It takes so long for anything to happen. That's when I stopped watching it. Then I had another go at it, managed to get through the end of that phase of the show somehow then after the 're-boot' I found it so much more engaging. Plus it took me ages to recognise Maggie Grace as a brunette. Bloody amazing how she manages to keep her short hair cut looking sharper than mine during a pandemic! Even though hers involves shaving under/skilled scissoring of the hair lengths/blow drying of the lengths. V impressive!  

12 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Watched Rocketman, It was ok, but similarly to Bohemian Rhapsody it didn't work as well for me as I don't love the music of Queen or Elton. 

Started a rewarch of Spaced, can't beleive its 22 years since it came out  

I liked Bohemian Rhapsody from beginning to end, but Rocketman I was fast forwarding through almost immediately. I like their music basically equal so that wasn't an issue for me.

On 5/11/2021 at 5:26 AM, Annara Snow said:

I posted the teaser and some info in the Upcoming shows thread last week when the cast photo, teaser and interviews came out. 

What we do know so far, aside from plot synopsis, the cast, and the cast in-character photo (which offers a lot of interesting details to speculate about) is

• season 1 will have 8 episodes and came out in 2022 (they've just started shooting and are to finish it in November
  • Ben Frost, who did the score for Dark, is again the composer;
  • the show will be in multiple languages, and the actors/characters will be speaking in their languages  and we will see characters struggle to understand each other (which makes sense, as it's 1899 and I wouldn't expect every character to speak English fluently back then) - which makes me very excited. You can also hear several different languages in the teaser.
  • they are using a virtual production stage, similar to what The Mandalorian does. They were first planning to go on locations in various countries, but the pandemic makes that impossible, so they're using the virtual stage technique for that. Now, since the show takes place on a ship, this sounds to me like we're going to see flashbacks to get to know the characters' backtories.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/1899-netflix-creators-dark-talk-europes-largest-virtual-production-stage-multilingual-series-1234747377/

A few other actors and writers have mentioned working on the show, and have also been interviews with several of the main cast where they have revealed some basic info about their characters. If you're interesting in more info, you can find egular updates on Twitter fan accounts 1899Netflix and Netflix1899.

Thanks, Annara. I'm excited for it, yet 2022 seems so far away.

Watched Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru ("To Live") for the first time -- I know, I know. What a lovely, humanistic film.

For those who've not seen it, it concerns an aged civil servant named Watanabe, a cog in the machine of his city's bureaucracy, who has frittered away his life with drudgery. He comes to learn that he has terminal stomach cancer, which sends him initially into a spiral as he tries to come to grips with his death and the fact that he has not lived. The performance that comes out of Takashi Shimura (the most frequent of all of Kurosawa's acting collaborators, appearing in over 20 of his films; of particular note are his roles as the woodcutter in Rashomon, the lead in Drunken Angel, and as Kambei Shimada, the leader of the Seven Samurai) is a masterpiece, suffering and grief etched on his every expression and in his every word for much of the film... and then a kind of steely resolve and determination.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

Watched Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru ("To Live") for the first time -- I know, I know. What a lovely, humanistic film.

For those who've not seen it, it concerns an aged civil servant named Watanabe, a cog in the machine of his city's bureaucracy, who has frittered away his life with drudgery. He comes to learn that he has terminal stomach cancer, which sends him initially into a spiral as he tries to come to grips with his death and the fact that he has not lived. The performance that comes out of Takashi Shimura (the most frequent of all of Kurosawa's acting collaborators, appearing in over 20 of his films; of particular note are his roles as the woodcutter in Rashomon, the lead in Drunken Angel, and as Kambei Shimada, the leader of the Seven Samurai) is a masterpiece, suffering and grief etched on his every expression and in his every word for much of the film... and then a kind of steely resolve and determination.

I watched Ikiru about eight years ago, and remember how impressive Takashi Shimura was in the central role. Time for a rewatch, I think. 

2 minutes ago, dog-days said:

I watched Ikiru about eight years ago, and remember how impressive Takashi Shimura was in the central role. Time for a rewatch, I think. 

Do! One aspect I forgot to remark on is that it touches some of the same notes as Ozu's Tokyo Story, in regards to Watanabe's relationship to his son and daughter-in-law. I discussed that film last year, and also recommend it!

8 hours ago, Ran said:

This struck my curiosity and I found it on HBO Max. It's too late now, but I think I may check it out this weekend.

Finally watched X-Men: Dark Phoenix. I had very low expectations and it failed to me them.

Rewatched Predator the other day; just me, or is having a hostage rescue team rock up with claymore mines, grenade launchers and a fucking minigun a bit like a surgeon doing surgery with a chainsaw?

16 hours ago, Ran said:

Does he start cooking up Crystal Meth and shave his head to wear a neat hat? If not, why not?

Archived