Watch Watched Watching: May The Fourth be with you!

TheLastWolf

21 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Does he start cooking up Crystal Meth and shave his head to wear a neat hat? If not, why not?

He does actually get a new hat in the course of the film, which is a bit of a plot point, surprisingly.

In fact, Vince Gilligan discussed Ikiru in relation to its influence on Breaking Bad -- here's an example, though it does spoil the back half of the film, as well as its iconic final scene (which you've probably seen -- I recall it appearing more than once in Academy Award montages of great cinema and the like).

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Finally watched X-Men: Dark Phoenix. I had very low expectations and it failed to me them.

Yeah, whereas I found Apocalypse to be enjoyable in a "so dumb it's fun" sort of way, Dark Phoenix was just a joyless slog of a film with basically no redeeming qualities.

5 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, whereas I found Apocalypse to be enjoyable in a "so dumb it's fun" sort of way, Dark Phoenix was just a joyless slog of a film with basically no redeeming qualities.

Exactly. It makes x3 look not-bad

Watched Great Expectations with Ethan Hawke and Gwenyth Paltrow and it's a really weak movie, I can't believe Alfonso Cuaron chose to direct this movie because he was that desperate for a paycheck. I really hope it was worth it, like "Michael Caine did Jaws 4" for the money levels of worth it.

Also watched Guillermo del Toro's Cronos which was an unconventional and unique take on vampire stories. Love the way that del Toro makes great use of colour and symbolism  to create lovely visuals and an immersive atmosphere; the only problem was the runtime being a little short

Just now, Cashless Society said:

Watched Great Expectations with Ethan Hawke and Gwenyth Paltrow and it's a really weak movie,

That said, I do love Mono's "Life in Mono" that's featured in it (all because De Niro heard the song and told Cuaron and the producers about it):

11 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Castlevania :wub:

Just watched through episode 6. This is a remarkably good season.

Spoiler

The Isaac vs. Carmilla fight was epic. I'm not much of an anime watcher, so I'm sure it's old hat for people versed in it, but it was really cool to see how kinetic that fight was. The voice acting cast is stellar and may be the best I've ever seen in an English language, adult-oriented cartoon series.

Also, episode 3, Striga in her day armor and massive sword gave some super Berserk vibes. Apparently the studio making Castlevania are big fans and have mentioned the idea of perhaps one day trying their hand at adapting Berserk.

In October 2020, Brian Helgeland confirmed that a sequel to L.A. Confidential had been in active development before the death of Chadwick Boseman, who would have played "this young cop named James Muncie". Crowe and Pearce would have reprised their roles, and the film was to have been set in 1974.[55]

That hurt to read. God I love that movie. 

On 5/12/2021 at 5:18 AM, Isis said:

The stuff with Madison and her kids, where they go to the ranch for a-g-e-s is so slow and dull. It takes so long for anything to happen. That's when I stopped watching it. Then I had another go at it, managed to get through the end of that phase of the show somehow then after the 're-boot' I found it so much more engaging.

Really, really like the John Dory character played by Garret Dillahunt and his relationship with June (Jenna Elfman) is one of the best romances either show has ever done.  This latest episode (appears early on AMC's website) is pretty tear-jerking for June's encountering a third character who I won't spoil.

Morgan has changed yet again in this season...  for the better this time.  His pacifism is gone, so anyone not liking him for his initial seasons on the show probably will like him now.  The stick is gone, now he wields a different weapon.

Kind of weird how they're barely using any of the original characters still on the show, and yet they remain there.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

That hurt to read. God I love that movie. 

I wish they made more like it though not a sequel and certainly not with Crowe and Pearce reprising their roles. Should have won Best Picture over Titanic in my opinion.

Edit: @RumHam Do you watch Bosch (on Amazon Prime)? It's detective noir in modern day LA and has a somewhat similar feel to LA Confidential. Last season starts June 25.

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

LA Confidential is a top 10 movie for me.  

I wrote a paper about it in high school, for a compare a book to film essay. It was hard to work through that book as a high school kid who generally read Raymond Feist and Douglas Adams. But damn was it awesome once I got a feel for Ellroy's prose. I think the film was superior, though. Every actor was impeccable, and the incredible setpieces helped form my imagined concept of LA as a larger than life place. Also one of my top 10, and worth a rewatch every couple years.

I had to get parental permission because the teacher knew of the sexuality and violence - but of course I'd already seen it twice in the theaters as a 16 year old. As a matter of fact, it occurs to me that that film was one of my very first dates. I still remember her covering her eyes at any nudity, so I definitely knew I wasn't getting past second base that night. 

Edit: Yes absolutely agreed that Bosch feels like a spiritual successor to LA Confidential. I can't wait for season 7.

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

I wish they made more like it though not a sequel and certainly not with Crowe and Pearce reprising their roles. Should have won Best Picture over Titanic in my opinion.

Edit: @RumHam Do you watch Bosch (on Amazon Prime)? It's detective noir in modern day LA and has a somewhat similar feel to LA Confidential. Last season starts June 25.

In haven't, but I'll check it out. 

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I wrote a paper about it in high school, for a compare a book to film essay. It was hard to work through that book as a high school kid who generally read Raymond Feist and Douglas Adams. But damn was it awesome once I got a feel for Ellroy's prose. I think the film was superior, though. Every actor was impeccable, and the incredible setpieces helped form my imagined concept of LA as a larger than life place. Also one of my top 10, and worth a rewatch every couple years.

I had to get parental permission because the teacher knew of the sexuality and violence - but of course I'd already seen it twice in the theaters as a 16 year old. As a matter of fact, it occurs to me that that film was one of my very first dates. I still remember her covering her eyes at any nudity, so I definitely knew I wasn't getting past second base that night. 

Edit: Yes absolutely agreed that Bosch feels like a spiritual successor to LA Confidential. I can't wait for season 7.

I definitely need to read the book at some point (and the rest of Ellroy's LA books).  I do think I'm been putting them off because I doubt this one would compare to the film. The only one I've read of his is The Black Dahlia, and that book was much better than that shitty movie they made from it.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

In haven't, but I'll check it out. 

You really should.  It's second only to The Expanse in my rankings of shows that are currently running.

Finished Season 4 of Justified. I get why it ranks on top, definitely the best season so far and that is saying something. Overall, I think it rises so high because it has a pretty enjoyable narrative and doesn't focus on any relationship bullshit which is the weakest part of the show. 

The only thing I would change is Timothy Olyphant's hair. He's supposed to be a cowboy not a hippie :blink:

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I definitely need to read the book at some point (and the rest of Ellroy's LA books).  I do think I'm been putting them off because I doubt this one would compare to the film. 

The film is amazing, yet the book is so so much better. 

Finished Castlevania. An unexpected final scene which I liked quite a bit. Episode 9 was suitably epic. If I had any issue with this season, it's

Spoiler

that the Hector and Isaac thread sort of vanishes at the end there and isn't properly touched. We don't even see Isaac again after episode 7 or 8. I suspect this is all fallout from this being the final season, which was clearly not the original plan.

All in all, great show, ended on a high, even if you can see it was a little rushed. 

Currently rewatching Space: Above and Beyond, a TV military sci-fi show from thr mid-90’s. Effects are dated but interesting to watch again. Shame it got cancelled after one season.

Archived