Watch Watched Watching: May The Fourth be with you!

TheLastWolf

On 5/18/2021 at 2:42 PM, Veltigar said:

I just started season 6 of Justified and I'm absolutely devastated after episode 1 :crying:

Hide contents

So long Dewey Crowe, you shall be missed.

The episode where his kidneys were "stolen" is still the high-water mark for this show.

He's such a great character that you tend to forget he's got that swastika tattoo on his chest.

You know what's a bad episode of Justified? The one where that guy Jody escapes the bounty hunters with help from Paul Kinsey from Mad Men. Like when did he even have time to contact his friend? and how did he know what vehicle/route they'd be taking? Then later the local police call the friend and ask him how he knew the dead bounty hunter. Why did they think he knew her at all? He never called her or anything. It's like they cut out part of the episode that allowed it to make sense in order to make room for "Jackie Nevada."

I think I'm just gonna end my re-watch here. I'm curious what you make of the final season though.

On 5/19/2021 at 3:06 PM, Teng Ai Hui said:

Recently, I watched The Wilds.   I enjoyed the character study elements of the series.  However, when the focus of the story was on the "Dharma Initiative", I always lost my suspension of disbelief.  How were all those schemes funded?  How could all of the logistics be organized by only 6~8 people?

I also found an interesting documentary series called the Gods of Snooker.  I'm anxious for the third and final part to be broadcoast next week.

It still blows my mind that 18 million people stayed up past midnight to watch the snooker. 

Watched the “ goal of the century”  today. Most older Canadians can tell you where they were. It was the Summit series and the whole thing was very emotional, and I got chills just reviewing it. I got let out of school early for it, and that just didn’t happen at the time.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

It still blows my mind that 18 million people stayed up past midnight to watch the snooker. 

I only found snooker about 6~8 years ago.  It's all over China's sports networks because of Deng Jun-Hui.  I didn't realize that the sport had such a rich history.  Those guys really were rock stars.  Because of them, that corny earworm of a song Snooker Loopy made it to #6 on the charts.

I’m watching The Morning Show and it’s the most ingenious writing (and acting) I’ve come across in some time. 

The characters are painstakingly real and flawed and layered, and we FINALLY get to follow a story that has heard of nuance and context and I cannot tell you how refreshing it is. 

I also feel a bit bad for always having written off Jennifer Aniston as a bad actor. She absolutely kills this role. (I’m still Team Angelina though - yes this is a thing, if you were a teen in the 2000s) And I find myself having an ridiculous crush on Billy Crudup. That man is so gorgeous and his character is so charismatic, I just can’t. Look at his jaw, look at his eyes, look at the cheeky smiles. I’d watch it merely for him, but thank goodness the series is a nearly perfect cake and Billy Crudup is just the cherry on top. 

This week is all about S4 Gomorrah for me.

Missing Cirro but Genny and Patrizia are as badass as ever. I prefer the show in the original Italian with English subtitles over the dubbed in b.s.  It flows much more authentic in its real language, I hope others are not watching this in English, it's a disservice to the art imo.

More on the episodes after I'm thru all 12.

On 5/16/2021 at 10:48 PM, Zorral said:

I hated Anne With An E so much I didn't even go to the first ep of the third season.

There was so little retained of the sheer charm that made the books classic reading for kids and YAs and adults too, particularly Anne's imaginative powers that transformed her real world geography into her own kingdoms, which, in the books we see from inside Anne's own vision, but in the series, no. I was so disappointed.

I never read the books. That inner little kingdom would have been nice to see. (The only time I got a similar vibe was with the writer's den they had in the woods.)

Apart from the over-dramatic plotting and the pacing, I hate it when they do a period piece, but don't do their homework. At least try to make the characters sound like they live in the late 19th century! By season 2 or 3, they used phrases like "You are my role model." Same with including queer folks. Great idea, particularly if they don't die, but please research how they would have lived and what they could have revealed to whom. I could go on and on. The showrunner has supposedly written some of the best episodes of Breaking Bad...

On 5/18/2021 at 10:47 AM, john said:

Try Succession again, the first episode, even the first few, is not reflective of how great it becomes.

OK, it's going to the "ill try again in a while" pile, along with Fleabag.

I watched the first episode of Schitt's Creek this week and found it mildly amusing. Will check out more of it.

And of course this is Eurovision week. Lots of trashy fun.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I think that's the case with basically everything shot in a foreign language. 

True that, but this Neapolitan dialect, its style and rhythms, is particularly difficult to handle one thinks, dubbed into another language?

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I think that's the case with basically everything shot in a foreign language. 

I'll never understand why people watch dubbed shows and movies if they can watch the original ones. Aside from any other consideration, it's simply not the original work anymore - it's been changed when you replace half of every actor's performance, the voice acting, with another actor's performance.

24 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I never read the books

I very much disliked the actor's way of playing Anne.  Anne was intense, she was enthusiastic, her highs very high and her lows very low, but in the books, she was still very likeable and enjoyable. This character was just Too Much.  She exhausted.  She was -- I cannot believe I am saying this about a girl, but -- her emotional register was so loud, there were never any quiet moments, no time of floating -- which book Anne did a great deal, particularly when plunged deeply into her Imagination.

14 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

I'll never understand why people watch dubbed shows and movies if they can watch the original ones. Aside from any other consideration, it's simply not the original work anymore - it's been changed when you replace half of every actor's performance, the voice acting, with another actor's performance.

I watch both. The subbed first, and then the dubbed. 

Though I’m talking about anime. 

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I very much disliked the actor's way of playing Anne.  Anne was intense, she was enthusiastic, her highs very high and her lows very low, but in the books, she was still very likeable and enjoyable. This character was just Too Much.  She exhausted.  She was -- I cannot believe I am saying this about a girl, but -- her emotional register was so loud, there were never any quiet moments, no time of floating -- which book Anne did a great deal, particularly when plunged deeply into her Imagination.

Then be glad you didn't watch season 3! By mid-season I truly hated her. Good news:

Spoiler

Josie (former mean girl) gets to slap her and it's very satisfying.

Bad news:

Spoiler

Five minutes later everyone adores Anne again.

I think they were going for ptsd, but they did it sort of half-assed, and she has no empathy whatsoever. Everything is Always About Her. I don't think it's the actress' fault, though.

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

I'm with you. Perhaps it helps that most forumgoers here are bookworms to some extent, and don't mind reading text as much as some. I absolutely loathe dubbed dialogue. Five minutes into a subtitled film, I've already adjusted completely and don't even think that I'm reading to keep up with what's spoken. The intonations and pauses of whatever original language never work right with ghostly dubbed voice. 

I can tolerate it in animated works, but even then, give me the original eight days a week.

19 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Have high expectations for The Hateful Eight, Tarantino 

I didn't like it the first time I saw. Warmed to it the second time through. Loved it the third time going forward. The only other QT film I felt that way about was Once Upon a Time in Hollyweird

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

If you don't speak the original language fluently, watching the original as intended is simply not possible. Subtitles are a distraction from the original visuals and mess with the pacing of line delivery, and require a constant focus on the screen to avoid missing dialogue. I do generally prefer subtitles myself, but dubs are a valid preference too.

1 hour ago, felice said:

If you don't speak the original language fluently, watching the original as intended is simply not possible. Subtitles are a distraction from the original visuals and mess with the pacing of line delivery, and require a constant focus on the screen to avoid missing dialogue. I do generally prefer subtitles myself, but dubs are a valid preference too.

No, they're not. The only people who say that are those who are not used to subtitles because they rarely try to watch any foreign shows with subtitles.

I happen to be from a non-English speaking country that never used dubbing - except for children's cartoons - so everyone is used to watching films and shows with subtitles. I've been watching them since I was 4 or 5. And I've never met anyone irl who think ls subtitles are distracting or difficult - while absolutely everyone thinks dubbing is absurd. It's something people talk about as a bizarre practice you see on, say, German TV. Some TV channels here tried to replace subtitles with dubbing - and each time, it failed completely, because no one wants that.

It may also be one of the reasons why foreigners  are always surprised: "So many people here speak English!" Watching foreign movies and shows also helps learn other languages. 

But these days I also like using subtitles when I could go without them - it's easier than having to deal with bad sound or actors mumbling their lines etc. And when I definitely need subtitles  (when I watch, say, Danish shows, or Korean shows), I find that it helps me fully focus on what's on screen - there's no temptation to wander off and check your phone or something like that because you can still hear the dialogue.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I didn't like it the first time I saw. Warmed to it the second time through. Loved it the third time going forward. The only other QT film I felt that way about was Once Upon a Time in Hollyweird

Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs -_-

Archived