Watch Watched Watching: May The Fourth be with you!

TheLastWolf

7 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I watch both. The subbed first, and then the dubbed. 

Though I’m talking about anime. 

I like to watch Anime dubbed but with subtitles at the same time. Reason being that it is hilarious how much the two never match up. I don’t know why, especially on Netflix but the translations are so completely different to each other 

I've only watched the trailer for Nomadland but I can't shake the feeling that they're trying to romanticize the fact that capitalism has screwed everyone over so much that there's a sizable contingent of people forced into living like depression era tramps only with some trappings of modern society.

Is that take wildly inaccurate? Do they at least offer some criticism of the failings of society to adequately care for its citizens?

8 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I watched the first episode of Schitt's Creek this week and found it mildly amusing. Will check out more of it.

Schitt's Creek is one of those series that's heavily character-based so you do need to watch a few episodes before the humour really starts to show its best. Definitely recommend sticking with it, as the investment pays off.

I felt like having some Bogey in my life, so I watched The Maltese Falcon for the first time. Not the best choice seeing how tired I was. Combine that with quite a static and dialogue heavy movie and you have a recipe for falling asleep. I had to watch the ending again this morning. 

As you can all probably agree with me, falling asleep as I did is usually not a good testament to the quality of the film. Just this once though, I'll gladly admit to being the wrongdoer. Due to my sleepiness, a lot of the technical achievements of this film flew by me but reading up on it they are quite impressive. This film pretty much invented the screen language of the Film Noir and as I am usually quite partial to the genre it's great to be able to trace this type of film all the way up to its root.

The acting is of course stellar. Bogart is brilliant as he always is. That voice of his cuts to pretty much everything. I'm so glad he didn't live in this age of celebrity voice-over for kids movies or I'm sure he would have ended up voicing Donkey in Shrek or some other role that would lessen him. My tired brain also kept jumping up at the supporting actors before I recognized that it were pretty much the same people as in Casablanca (and Peter Lorre of course also being the lead in the great German classic M), so you know you can't go wrong with a cast as brilliant as that. Mary Astor didn't really work for me, but I see a lot of her casting had to with the scandalous (at least for the time) private life she had. I can imagine that a viewer who was aware of that would probably respond to it differently.

Where the movie really shines, even when you are tired, is in its dialogue and characterization. Bogart's Samuel Spade is a man so sharp you could cut yourself on it without even trying. I'm actually quite stunned that they were able to get away with such an unsympathetic protagonist in 1941. When he 

Spoiler

basically throws Mary Astor's character to the wolves... damn if it didn't break my heart as well. Great writing there

I also feel like the last line of this film might be a strong contender for best line in movie history. Apart from the very, very different Some Like it Hot there is no immediate competitor that comes to mind to challenge it.

The weakest part of the film is the plot, which is basically irrelevant and some of the effects from the 1940. There is some impressive sequences in there, but the effects were really crummy. Bogart knocking men down with one very exaggerated punch and stuff like that. Probably the only thing in this film that was really dated.

Definitely a classic that deserves its status.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Schitt's Creek is one of those series that's heavily character-based so you do need to watch a few episodes before the humour really starts to show its best. Definitely recommend sticking with it, as the investment pays off.

Schitts creek is weird, I adored it and watched it all in about a month. But I'd be hard-pressed to name one single stand out scene or episode, other than 'a little bit Alexa'. When I compare it to Parks and Rec or its only sunny I should much prefer both as there are scenes and episodes that blew me away. But I don't, I rate it just as highly. 

6 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

No, they're not. The only people who say that are those who are not used to subtitles because they rarely try to watch any foreign shows with subtitles.

I am massively subs not dubs and think it's the vastly better experience, but some people just don't read well enough for it to not be a distracting experience.

Also I dunno about German TV but German cinemas seem to constantly have films with dubbing in?

On 5/20/2021 at 11:03 PM, RumHam said:

Reveal hidden contents

He's such a great character that you tend to forget he's got that swastika tattoo on his chest.

You know what's a bad episode of Justified? The one where that guy Jody escapes the bounty hunters with help from Paul Kinsey from Mad Men. Like when did he even have time to contact his friend? and how did he know what vehicle/route they'd be taking? Then later the local police call the friend and ask him how he knew the dead bounty hunter. Why did they think he knew her at all? He never called her or anything. It's like they cut out part of the episode that allowed it to make sense in order to make room for "Jackie Nevada."

I think I'm just gonna end my re-watch here. I'm curious what you make of the final season though.

I'm going slowly through it, savoring every episode ;) I do think casting Sam Elliot as one of the new villains was a great move. The man is an older, white version of Pharrell WIlliams, he has looked the same age for nearly thirty years. That and that voice of his make him a pretty remarkable actor.

As to Dewey

Spoiler

You know I actually completely forgot about the Nazi tattoo. I have the same thing with Boyd really, you never actually see them being very racist so you forget they once adhered to that particular branch of insanity. Quite strange that Boyd doesn't remove the tats.

And yes, agreed that the episodes with the wannabe film director were a little too fake I suppose.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Schitts creek is weird, I adored it and watched it all in about a month. But I'd be hard-pressed to name one single stand out scene or episode, other than 'a little bit Alexa'. When I compare it to Parks and Rec or its only sunny I should much prefer both as there are scenes and episodes that blew me away. But I don't, I rate it just as highly. 

It's the same reason most of the awards and nominations SC receives are for performance rather than writing: it's very much about the characters. The reason to watch it is to see David or Moira or the rest of the cast react to situations, rather than for incredible set pieces.

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I watch English language film and TV with subtitles....

Me too, but that's mostly because so many movies and shows have abysmal audio balancing that causes every action scene to sound like it's literally happening in my living room while it sounds like all the people are constantly whispering as quietly as humanly possible.

8 hours ago, kungtotte said:

I've only watched the trailer for Nomadland but I can't shake the feeling that they're trying to romanticize the fact that capitalism has screwed everyone over so much that there's a sizable contingent of people forced into living like depression era tramps only with some trappings of modern society.

Is that take wildly inaccurate? Do they at least offer some criticism of the failings of society to adequately care for its citizens?

Probably, plus McDormand gets another Oscar for the earth shattering boldness of going makeup-less and wearing dirty jeans. Truly next level stuff zzzzzzzzzzz!

In all seriousness I couldn't get past that depressing trailer either.

I've already seen Grape of Wrath and if I want to see it again,  I most certainly can without suffering through its knockoff.

5 hours ago, briantw said:

Me too, but that's mostly because so many movies and shows have abysmal audio balancing that causes every action scene to sound like it's literally happening in my living room while it sounds like all the people are constantly whispering as quietly as humanly possible.

Why is this? It seems like it’s been a complaint for years now but it still happens aaaallll the time. Where’s the incentive, who wants it this way? I have to set my sound bar to ‘clear voice’ mode during most films I watch. There shouldn’t even be a mode, the problem shouldn’t be that common.

10 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I do think casting Sam Elliot as one of the new villains was a great move.

Not casting Elliot's mustache, on the other hand...

10 hours ago, Veltigar said:

And yes, agreed that the episodes with the wannabe film director were a little too fake I suppose.

Yeah that episode was a bit much.  And like RumHam said, I couldn't get over thinking of Gladis' character as Paul Kinsey.  

Archived