Watch Watched Watching: May The Fourth be with you!

TheLastWolf

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Ending it with the chance meeting with Autumn didn't help either. I thought it was a downer 'he really hasn't learned' ending but plenty read it as 'idealising girls is fine he just idealised the wrong one'

The ending feels very schlocky and stupid.  I will say that it's at least open-ended as to whether it's "he hasn't learned", because he is at least growing as a person in other respects by trying to become an architect instead of writing inane greeting cards.  You could interpret his final chat with Summer as a sign of some growth from Tom as well.  So maybe he won't make the same mistakes with Autumn. 

On 5/23/2021 at 9:45 PM, Mindwalker said:

She is. But the two hours of DA were atrocious. Worse even than the show. Two hours of boredom, idiotic plot, bad dialogue, and Fellowes' godawful ideology drowning everything. Not even Maggie Smith could save this thing for me; she was just obnoxious without the wit. Ugh. And James had only a handful of scenes.

My one solitary achievement of lockdown was making it through the whole year without cracking and watching Downtown Abbey, either TV show or film. James deserves so much better. 

Finished Jupiter's Legacy. I appreciated the attempt to show comicbook superheroic action, I liked a couple of the performers well enough, but the story has been so drawn out. Jupiter's Legacy was a 5 issue run, and after 8 episodes we are approximately... I'd say not quite half way through issue #2? This is ridiculous. They've padded it out wildly. There's some clever turns, but it doesn't justify the structure and pacing of this story. Not sure if it has a 2nd season pickup, but I don't think I'll be watching it if it does, other than perhaps to fast forward to the superheroics. 

Finished The Nevers, and can only say that fans of Farscape should really tune in. Great show that Linda and I enjoyed a lot.

Mare of Easttown continues to be well-acted but very predictable, and it cheapened itself with a lot of red herrings and misdirections. Still, I do love Kate Winslet.

Finished Halston. It was ... fine. Mediocre bio-drama. McGregor was fine. I liked the fashion and music choices but then I'm a child of the 80s. I'm not sure if it could have been a lot more than it was or not -- Halston has a story that its emblematic of late 70s and early 80s greed and capitalism, but I'm not sure there's a lot of meat there to really dig into it over the course of a series. 

Watched the first episode of Call The Midwife. It's well done, but I'm not sure I'll continue - the primary subject matter is not really my thing.

In a bout of nostalgia, I watched the 2020 reboot of All Creatures Great And Small. When I was a a child, there were reruns of the old show on tv and I loved it, at least the first several seasons. The new version changed things around a bit, and the tone is a tad more serious and dramatic, but overall it stayed true to the spirit of the first show, which must be more than 40 ys old. Loved the casting of James and Siegfried (Samuel West), and the new and very different Ms. Hall. Took me a while to get used to the new Harriet but like her ok now. Now with Tristan, I had quite a hard time, the new one can be a real a******, but he finally grew on me. Diana Rigg played, in her last role, the eccentric owner of the infamously overweight Pekingese.

I rolled my eyes at a certain trope they used in the last ep, but overall I'd recommend it as comfort food set in the gorgeous landscape of the Yorkshire Dales. Season 2 is on the way.

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

Hide contents

I laughed when the guy was like "leave her she's done for" when she only had like three zombies next to her and wasn't bitten yet. Then it takes him sooo many bites before he puts her out of her misery.  

Spoiler

More shamblers were coming and biting was imminent. Martin has no personal stake in any of these people so he doesn't give a shit. Also Guzman is somewhat out of his depth here and an AK-47 isn't exactly a precision firearm. He was probably aiming for her head when he hit the fuel tank.

19 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’m sure there is a drinking game ‘drink when a scene in Army of the Dead is a direct reference to Aliens’ that would end up killing people from alcohol poisoning 

Definitely intentional. Snyder has acknowledged Aliens and Escape from New York as an inspirations for the film. Chambers is even wearing Vasquez' bandanna.

I love that there are critics dismissing the film as "derivative" or "mindless fun". Yeah, no. Not that they're wrong...

...but after a decade of showering praise on films stuffed with every recycled superhero/action movie trope and several franchise film/TV series soft/hard reboots/remakes/sequels, these idiots don't get to make that criticism. Sorry, not sorry.

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Far from home is up today on UK netflix. I hate i after 5 minutes. I think I'm just totally done with MCU. 

The near-universal critical praise of that movie still baffles me. Spider-Man 3 only beats it to the bottom by virtue of the Saturday Night Fever strut. At least that one generated a few memes. 

Gyllenhaal was great in it. That's about it.

Just now, RumHam said:

Still mad about that movie. 

Actually a pretty good movie but a very loose adaptation that was tailor made to piss off fans of the book. I don't know how you do that story short of a movie trilogy or a really expensive series.

32 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The near-universal critical praise of that movie still baffles me. Spider-Man 3 only beats it to the bottom by virtue of the Saturday Night Fever strut. At least that one generated a few memes. 

Gyllenhaal was great in it. That's about it.

Actually a pretty good movie but a very loose adaptation that was tailor made to piss off fans of the book. I don't know how you do that story short of a movie trilogy or a really expensive series.

I need to watch Far From Home again. I don't remember it being bad but I only saw it the one time. It never seems to be streaming anywhere in the US? hopefully the recent deal will change that. 

As for World War Z yeah I'd think you'd want an anthology series, maybe with some characters crossing over. People are doing really expensive series these days. 

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

As for World War Z yeah I'd think you'd want an anthology series, maybe with some characters crossing over. People are doing really expensive series these days. 

I feel like it could make a great animated miniseries.  Lots of stuff in there is pretty cinematic.  It's just a bad movie candidate - too many characters, too many sets. 

I'm completely unfamiliar with the source material but I found World War Z to be rather shockingly boring considering it was a zombie movie with all that talent involved.

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm completely unfamiliar with the source material but I found World War Z to be rather shockingly boring considering it was a zombie movie with all that talent involved.

The source material is amazing; the movie not so much since it had nothing to do with the source material (other than the name of course).

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Far from home is up today on UK netflix. I hate i after 5 minutes. I think I'm just totally done with MCU. 

Yeah, it's bad.

I'm watching X-men the last stand & Prometheus today ( Yes, I have odd taste)

I wasn't a huge fan of Far From Home, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as Raimi's third Spider-Man movie or the Andrew Garfield abominations.  It mainly suffers from the plot being too "save the world" in nature.  Spider-Man is at his best when he's dealing with smaller scale stuff like in the first film, where the climax centered around a plane heist of alien material.  The fate of the world wasn't at stake.  It was just Spider-Man trying to stop an arms dealer from stealing shit.  

But for all the faults of Far From Home, at least it has great visuals in the fight scenes, is consistently funny, and has a fun bad guy who is hamming it the fuck up and looking to be having the time of his life.  

I would take spider man 3 every day of the week over Far From Home ( But to be fair, I think Raimi's spiderman movies are all quite decent, with 1 & 2 being very good)

I was just not interested in anything that happened in Far From Home. Agreed regarding the Andrew Garfield movies though.

What @Raja says. Spider-Man 3 is way too maligned. It's a much better and more interesting film than Far From Home, which is a nothing of a film that wastes Gyllenhaal in a nothing role and has a nothing plot filled with "fun" but uninspired setpieces. It was also too long for what little it had to offer.

Yeah, Maguire's "evil Peter" act makes you cringe... but it's supposed to do that. Raimi absolutely knew it was camp silliness. But the Venom and Sandman stuff is all quite strong.

Archived