Watch Watched Watching: May The Fourth be with you!

TheLastWolf

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

The second season of the Norwegian, quirky, contemporary setting, superhero series, Ragnarock, is up on Netflix today.

As has been possibly noticed, I actively dislike superhero stuff mostly, for all the reasons the very clever Amazon series The Boys illustrates, and which I loved.   liked Ragnarock's first season quite a lot too, so have been looking forward to the second season.

Ah thanks for the heads-up, that was a rather fun series. I wondered whether it was ever coming back.

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I finished Ted Lasso last night. The premise didn't look like something I'd watch, but I heard it praised a lot and gave it a try and was surprised how much I loved it and just how good it is - both funny and full of heart and modern while unabashedly optimistic. It's basically saying F off to the idea that you need to be cynical to be clever. That's what Ted Lasso is about as a character.

I was surprised to see Anthony Head (had no idea he was in it) playing a huge a-hole you love to hate Funny that his character's name was Rupert (and apparently it was a coincidence). And I was even more shocked when I learned later that Hannah Waddingham (Rebecca) was Septa Unella on GoT. She looks completely different (and super hot).

On another note, I can't stop laughing over the fact that they named a character (grumpy and constantly angry veteran mid-fielder/team captain) "Roy Kent". Not going for subtlety there. :D 

Our legion of Ted Lasso fans is growing ever greater. Soon no one will be powerful enough to stop us anymore.

Gomorrah (2021) Season 4 HBO

It takes in television time, a lengthy set-up for one of the major themes to emerge: we attempt to transform but the primary form always prevails.

Spoiler

Which is why I suspected the cosmetic surgery for Genna's scar wasn't going to happen. Genna, as skilled as he's been at playing by the paper rules, knows from where and what he is, and only his original form will allow him to survive.

Quite like the pressures of the formation of the planet, the billions of years of tectonic plates, shifting, grinding, sliding, caressing, there will inevitably be the massive violent eruptions of the earth going back to its origins in fire and flood.  So too, Naples.  And Italy.  Gads, this stuff was going on in the Rome long before Julius Caesar, before Naples, even. The promising, lovely young, killed in the interests of the money and the power, from the most lowly to the highest. So many have died, will die, such beautiful people, with so much they could have been and given, if only the world were not world, ya?

This is why I love this series.  I actively dislike and eshew series in which I'm supposed to pull for drug dealers as the protagonists.  But this series, to me, seems to be watching history's inexorable roll into the present, exploding the future, however much future there shall be left, anyway, of homo saps running rampant. Gomorrah does reach the rise and fall of tragedy, or so it seems to me. Very little does in these days reigned over by petty and o so shallow minds.

I saw an ad for Cruella saying basically "see it before you hear about the twist!" so I went to wikipedia to see what the twist was. It's not important. But what is important is:

Estella was born with black and white hair and already considered unusual. Her mother Catherine immediately saw potential in her due to her creativity and her affinity for dogs, especially a stray she picked up named Buddy. Due to her rebellious nature, Catherine pulls Estella from school and they move to London. Catherine attends a party hosted by Baroness von Hellman and tells Estella to stay in the car. However, Estella ends up chasing Buddy and runs afoul of the Baroness' ferocious Dalmatians. As she runs outside, she sees Catherine speaking to the Baroness and the Dalmatians end up running Catherine over a landing and off a cliff to her death.

Dalmatians killed her mother. :laugh:

50 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I saw an ad for Cruella saying basically "see it before you hear about the twist!" so I went to wikipedia to see what the twist was. It's not important. But what is important is:

Reveal hidden contents

Dalmatians killed her mother. :laugh:

Is this a parody movie?

I’m watching Home Before Dark. It quickly went from kinda weird but cute to plainly weird and all kinds of bad and nearing the conclusion it’s just plainly awful. Can’t wait to rant about how terrible this show is, I just want to see it through first. 

OH MY GOD ITS SO BAAAD

I'm probably going to rewatch Portrait of a Lady on Fire soon, directed by Céline Sciamma, because I've got the itch to see that gorgeous, gorgeous film again. And if you've been pondering seeing it (and you should!), this short video discussing a single scene may be useful in convincing you to seek it out. It's a perfect distillation of (nearly) everything that makes the film one of the best of 2019:

BTW, the last part of the final season of Lucifer is up on Netflix.

I was surprised that Lucifer became one of my favorite series. That happened probably because I only began to watch it (on Netflix) during the first pandemic winter. It was far enough away from any reality to be undisturbing when I was so deeply disturbed by the pandemic and politics already.  It didn't take itself at all seriously.  There were lots of episodes and seasons.  Lots of charming characters, played by pretty people in pretty clothes drinking pretty drinks.  Escapism, you betcha.  I also felt in a sense, at least at times, this was Buffy for grown-ups, but w/o the darkness, so how grown-up Lucifer really was, might be questionable.

Jeez, that Army of the Dead is bad. 

And who ever told Bautista he can act? One of the worst performances I've ever seen. Not helped by his constant 'I am desperately trying to push one out' face.

Dreadful.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

And who ever told Bautista he can act?

He was quite good in his brief part in Bladerunner 2049, as well as the short film prequel of it. Plus people love him as Drax, because he's pretty funny in those.

This film has no good performances to speak of, OTOH. Garrett Dillahunt's probably the best actor in the cast and he's just a smirking nothing, like basically everyone else is. The writing and story sucks, and the actors can't really save it, just go with the flow.

Dave Bautista wasn't too bad in Bushwick either. 

On 5/24/2021 at 8:08 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm listening to the World War Z full cast audiobook. It's amazing. This is how it's done.

On 5/25/2021 at 4:01 PM, DMC said:

I'm completely unfamiliar with the source material but I found World War Z to be rather shockingly boring considering it was a zombie movie with all that talent involved.

I highly recommend the full audiobook of World War Z.

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Jeez, that Army of the Dead is bad. 

And who ever told Bautista he can act? One of the worst performances I've ever seen. Not helped by his constant 'I am desperately trying to push one out' face.

Dreadful.

He’s a good actor, don’t know if you’ve seen any of the guardians of the galaxy films. It’s not his fault that the script and direction is total shit. 

5 hours ago, Ran said:

He was quite good in his brief part in Bladerunner 2049, as well as the short film prequel of it. Plus people love him as Drax, because he's pretty funny in those.

This film has no good performances to speak of, OTOH. Garrett Dillahunt's probably the best actor in the cast and he's just a smirking nothing, like basically everyone else is. The writing and story sucks, and the actors can't really save it, just go with the flow.

He's great as Drax, especially in the first film where they didn't overdo his maniacal laughing at everything.  But I don't blame him for that in the second film.  

And as you said, he's good in Bladerunner and I thought he was good in the Bond movie too.

He can definitely act.  I just don't think he's good enough to carry shit material like a few of the best actors can.  You give him something good to work with and he'll deliver.

14 hours ago, Zorral said:

Gomorrah (2021) Season 4 HBO

It takes in television time, a lengthy set-up for one of the major themes to emerge: we attempt to transform but the primary form always prevails.

Hide contents

Which is why I suspected the cosmetic surgery for Genna's scar wasn't going to happen. Genna, as skilled as he's been at playing by the paper rules, knows from where and what he is, and only his original form will allow him to survive.

Quite like the pressures of the formation of the planet, the billions of years of tectonic plates, shifting, grinding, sliding, caressing, there will inevitably be the massive violent eruptions of the earth going back to its origins in fire and flood.  So too, Naples.  And Italy.  Gads, this stuff was going on in the Rome long before Julius Caesar, before Naples, even. The promising, lovely young, killed in the interests of the money and the power, from the most lowly to the highest. So many have died, will die, such beautiful people, with so much they could have been and given, if only the world were not world, ya?

This is why I love this series.  I actively dislike and eshew series in which I'm supposed to pull for drug dealers as the protagonists.  But this series, to me, seems to be watching history's inexorable roll into the present, exploding the future, however much future there shall be left, anyway, of homo saps running rampant. Gomorrah does reach the rise and fall of tragedy, or so it seems to me. Very little does in these days reigned over by petty and o so shallow minds.

I was relieved that Salvatore Esposito was as complex and intriguing as ever this season. I actually fretted that the farce role they put him in Fargo was an actor in decline or more a shooting star.

Thankfully that character was left in St Louis because he was a mere shadow of the depth that is brought to our screen through Gennaro.

My mind was literally racing with thoughts over the final moments of the Season were we see 

Spoiler

Gennie entombed in his cage as Pietro was or the Don in ZeroZeroZero was shown. It's so dark you can barely fathom such an resistance.

Archived