Watch Watched Watching: May The Fourth be with you!

TheLastWolf

Yeah Bautista can definitely act. I've not seen, and don't plan to, Army of the Dead, but he's solid in GotG, Riddick, Bond and Blade Runner, and delivers different performances in each to boot. I wouldn't blame him too much for not lifting a Zach Snyder silly-fest.

On 5/27/2021 at 11:47 AM, RumHam said:

The best part of Army of the Dead is probably the start, right through the musical montage (also the best part of The Watchmen.) I stopped shortly after that and only went back out of curiosity about the things Deadlines!? had mentioned

Hide contents

The robo-zombies, aliens and time travel. All of which are just sorta left there presumably to set up for sequels.

The what?  I missed all that i guess.

Spoiler

Ok, had to watch this video to see what you're talking about.

So basically they tried to imply it's Edge of Tomorrow with zombies sent by aliens to conquer us....   Which is good idea, wish that was what movie we actually saw instead of this heist.

There really shouldn’t be any requirement for someone like Bautista to ‘act’ in a movie called Army of the Dead. The guy looks like a cartoon character and that’s basically all you should ask of him, that he  can do more than that is an added bonus.

Problem with the movie is that it doesn’t roll enough with the silly premise and instead takes itself too seriously. There are times when you can see that it realises how over the top it should be, but never commits to it. So you end up with moments where there is an expectation for emotional depth when there never should be any 

Tenet has all the hallmarks of classic Nolan. Stunning visuals. Hoytema. Fantastic music. Whatshisname sorry. Sound mixing editing spot on. Only issues complex screenplay, script, dialogue, delivery, chronology, plot (like his other films, but way too much here). From the layman POV of course. 

Just now, polishgenius said:

We must have seen very different sound-mix edits of the film.

Lol, was just about to call this out.. 

Having said that, saw video recently that Nolan has outright said that his movies are designed for cinemas with the best quality sound systems .. and doesn’t actually care about mixing sound to take into account lesser theatres.

So basically a big ‘fuck you’ to his audience.

There's also a quote - from a book about him - where Nolan talks about how Zimmer removed the inbuilt blocks on his editing software on how bassy you can make a mix. That was Zimmer and Interstellar, but I can totally believe it happened for Tenet too.

It probably lines up with the theater quality thing- it might well be that an IMAX theatre is capable of carrying that sound mix (though I'm sceptical it would help with the dialogue audibility), but most of them aren't and it's just gonna sound bad. 

He also doesn't seem to understand that choices made for Dunkirk which was a failry simple, if chronologically twisty, war film that was meant to be confusing and desparate aren't going to work for a jargon-heavy SF thriller.

10 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I was relieved that Salvatore Esposito was as complex and intriguing as ever this season. I actually fretted that the farce role they put him in Fargo was an actor in decline or more a shooting star.

Thankfully that character was left in St Louis because he was a mere shadow of the depth that is brought to our screen through Gennaro.

My mind was literally racing with thoughts over the final moments of the Season were we see 

Reveal hidden contents

Gennie entombed in his cage as Pietro was or the Don in ZeroZeroZero was shown. It's so dark you can barely fathom such an resistance.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/29/damned-bastards-im-still-alive-gomorrah-author-hails-court-victory-over-mafia-threats

10 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I was relieved that Salvatore Esposito was as complex and intriguing as ever this season. I actually fretted that the farce role they put him in Fargo was an actor in decline or more a shooting star.

Thankfully that character was left in St Louis because he was a mere shadow of the depth that is brought to our screen through Gennaro.

My mind was literally racing with thoughts over the final moments of the Season were we see 

Reveal hidden contents

Gennie entombed in his cage as Pietro was or the Don in ZeroZeroZero was shown. It's so dark you can barely fathom such an resistance.

Pretty sure season four of Gomorrah was filmed before his run on Fargo.  It's just taken forever for it to make it to streaming services.  I downloaded and watched it before the pandemic even started, I think.  It originally aired in spring of 2019, so that seems to check out.  

Season 4 was released first in March 2019 -- on Sky? Italy's Canal?  I don't know.

https://www.bustle.com/entertainment/gomorrah-season-5-premiere-date-cast-trailer-plot

An official premiere date for Gomorrah Season 5 has not been announced, but Variety reported that the principal photography was set to wrap in May. The 10-episode season was filmed in both Riga, the capital of Latvia, and Naples, Italy.

Nevertheless of the timing I'm reassured the Fargo performance is an anomaly and Esposito can still bring the real deal. It's sort of like what they did to Adrien Brody with that cringey role on Peaky Binders, as hard as it is to watch, at a certain point you realize hey this is the guy we saw in the Pianist, this role is just a misstep.

14 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I'm watching season 2 of Angel now and Darla is really growing on me. I have never seen an ep past season 1 I think. I will watch until season 4 before I continue with season 7 of Buffy. 

Yeah, Julie Benz was great on the show, thanks to a really good storyline for her character.

I don't remember how many seasons of Angel I watched - not many - or why I stopped. I think the disapperance of that half demon and Kate didn't help.

Last week I watched the 2019 miniseries Tales of the City. A log time ago, I read the first five or so books - light reading for sure, but with a certain charme and educating wrt gay life in Seventies San Francisco. The Netflix series provides a conclusion in some ways, but as a show, I don't find it very successful. Olympia Dukakis (in her last role... I'm developing a pattern), Linney and some of the other actors are very good, at least two are really bad. For some reason, they felt the need to set this in the present time, which means that literally everyone is more than 20 years too young, and their histories (e.g. with the AIDS crisis) are mostly ignored. The attempt to include present-day stuff

Spoiler

like the atrociously dumb insta twins

remains clumsy, the humour of the books is largely missing, some events are extremely contrived

Spoiler

like a 24 hours notice for eviction

and the solution to the mystery is somewhat unsatisfying. That said, there are some genuinely interesting moments, e.g. an argument between young Ben and old gay men about hurtful language, and one whole episode that takes place in the 1960s about trans women's life in SF.

Well, just a couple of days until Mare of Easttown finishes, so that'll be my next venture. 

7 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I don't remember how many seasons of Angel I watched - not many - or why I stopped. I think the disapperance of that half demon and Kate didn't help.

That's just the first season, those events. I'm guessing maybe you saw some of the second? I would definitely recommend giving it another go. It's not perfect, but it does a lot of very good things along the way.

57 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I wouldn't taunt. I'd probably settle for quietly grateful if I were in such shoes.

Perhaps ... your heritage isn't Italian / Neapolitan?  :)  That's what real men do, even when they're only 4 years old.  Or, so the archtypes say!

But this is definitely how he rolls.  There was a documentary about him, up on Netflix for a while, though no longer.  And he was anything but quietly grateful.  Unlikely perhaps, that someone who would retire from such a war quietly grateful would have launched and continued that war until the end?  :dunno:

2 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I'm watching season 2 of Angel now and Darla is really growing on me. I have never seen an ep past season 1 I think. I will watch until season 4 before I continue with season 7 of Buffy. 

I think the second and third seasons of Angel were the best of them.

Archived