Watch Watched Watching: May The Fourth be with you!

TheLastWolf

On 5/6/2021 at 8:40 PM, RumHam said:

Yeah. But most of the time he doesn't seem very angry. Like as I recall he never snaps and shoots first. A lot of the time he's just eating his ice cream like he hasn't a care in the world.

But anger doesn't always have to be portrayed in a way where the character snaps and loses control the way most tv and movies do. For me, Raylan carried himself in a way that showed restrained anger and, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Raylan taken aback by Winona's assessment of him because he thought he had hidden this aspect of himself away from her so well?

21 hours ago, Zorral said:

Clockers (1992) is a well-reviewed novel by successful author, Richard Price (his first novel was The Wanderers, which also got turned into a film), who also began writing for Simon in later days of the Wire, along with other best selling crime novelists.  Price also contributed to the screenplay for Spike's film, as well as many, many others, before and after.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0697115/

I'm familiar with Price's work in movies and tv; but I'll definitely check out the books he's written at some point.

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Came home late last night, switched on the television and caught an early Kenneth Branagh film called Dead Again. I didn't know anything about it, but I was gripped by the opening. Glad that I watched it because this is a gem I was glad to discover. It reminds me of Ghost in a way that it tells a very emotional story based on a silly premise, but it commits to it completely which I really liked. The cast is great and I liked the story a lot. Definitely a strong recommendation from my end for anyone looking for an old-fashioned detective film.  

I remember loving it back in the day. Even though it had one of the silliest looking cases of old age makeup. (The "It's been 30 years... so let's make this character look 300 years old" school of makeup.)

On 5/6/2021 at 10:48 PM, Heartofice said:

I get why some people might like The Wilds but it’s really just Lost for teens. Since I’m not a teen, and I’ve seen Lost, I’m not going to be continuing to watch this show. 

It's Lost with teenage girls as protagonists (not necessarily "Lost for teens"), only without literal monsters, supernatural and SciFi evements, or an overcomplicated plot (at ieast so far). And with a completely different overall plot/mystery/antagonist, so it's kinda weird to expect it to go as Lost.

5 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

I met a millennial who had not seen My Fair Lady! Watch it for Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison. Watch it for the funny bits, awful pedagogy, and costumes. It is mainly about class barriers, but don’t tell. If you want something less musical there is always Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw:) as this play is what the above is based on.

Speaking of which...

Is Pygmalion/My Fair Lady the oldest example of fans badgering an author to change the ending to make their favorite ship happen, while the author is going "No! You've missed the whole point!" and  has to fight for their ending over and over - only for people to ignore it?

@Annara_Snow yes all true. Thanks for this. It is a very popular and financially successful musical/best picture. I loved it.  I plead no contest. Also, they replaced Julie Andrews ( who can sing) with Audrey Hepburn, right? Yes, Eliza marries Freddy, who is not very bright, and he writes a beautiful  hand in her flower shop. It is still a work of art in its own right. Like West Side Story or Cinderella. I can pick on any work of art and fault it’s story, author or motives. Any person or thing can be critiqued. And should be. Yes I know about The Greek Pygmalion, which has a lot to do with Pinocchio. Mary Poppins was a witch. Oliver Twist was only good because of his blood and Nancy was not just a barmaid. What is left? Cats? I liked that, too! Les Miserables, the book, is hard to read.

I really liked your post. It is a Russian doll, and there is a cool word for that that I can’t spell or even try:) I already get in trouble trying to elaborate too much. The solution is to be short and sassy, and don’t have an opinion? It’s this except for that, but there is another thing, but what I really think is, I enjoyed it, which is a print version, of a thought about an emotion which I probably share in a unique way with thousands of people. To add to it, my dearly departed jumped up working class granny watched it with me and would not say “ bloody a $$” And, the visuals are stunning, the music is singable, the story can be relatable in various forms.

Imagine grrm trying to parse every idea. He already has problems.

I was really good at word games, before threads:)

9 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Is it a song?

I think you've posted this in a wrong thread...

Anyway, the video I linked is really good, analyzing the changes from the play to the 1938 film to the musical and various versions - why the ending to the film version of the musical doesn't work, with some ideas how it could be fixed.

Better than”myFairLady”? I will see Succession if we ( he my DH) can find it.

Annara, I would have Eliza sing “I’m gonna Wash that Man right Outta my Hair” but I would have had to be a bit older than I was at the time of maximal impact. Musicals just blasted into my brain. It could be good...the Hills Are Alive.

52 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I just finished season one of Succession, and I have to say that was one of the best things I've ever seen. 

Season two is even better in my opinion. Jeremy Strong is especially good. 

Jupiter's Legacy is both fairly stupid and fairly boring and does nothing better than the boys, invincible, doom patrol or umbrella academy, or any number of other dark superhero things. It is also very slow. I dont know if season 2 will be better but season 1 is not good.

That the costumes look incredibly stupid and cheap.doesnt help things. 

3 hours ago, Karlbear said:

Jupiter's Legacy is both fairly stupid and fairly boring and does nothing better than the boys, invincible, doom patrol or umbrella academy, or any number of other dark superhero things. It is also very slow. I dont know if season 2 will be better but season 1 is not good.

That the costumes look incredibly stupid and cheap.doesnt help things. 

Yeah I wasn't thrilled by the trailer. How's Umbrella Academy?

For reasons I can't explain, I felt compelled to binge watch the Hunger Games films. Some thoughts:

1. It amazes me how a franchise that was made within the last decade, with an A list star, that grossed almost $3 billion dollars at the box office (world wide) has largely fallen off the radar. Like I don't know if there are Hunger Games message boards where they go at it like badgers but I'm not detecting a lot of chatter about it anywhere.

2. It's impressive to me how good it is. It's just really well done top to bottom. Characters, themes, story, world building,  performances, cinematography, score; all top shelf. It also has some interesting historical references and is not afraid to get political. Even the final film, probably the weakest, is still quite good and wraps up the story in a satisfying way. More so than a lot of the franchise film stuff to come out in recent years. 

Rewatched Thor: Ragnarok last night: still good stuff, fun but with hidden depth.

Also watched Polar, since it has Mads Mikkelsen and Kathryn Winnick and I was in the mood for a dumb action movie about assassins killing each other. Do not recommend. It has the single worst performance I've ever seen from Matt Lucas, and I've seen him give some pretty ropey performances.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

Also watched Polar, since it has Mads Mikkelsen and Kathryn Winnick and I was in the mood for a dumb action movie about assassins killing each other. Do not recommend. It has the single worst performance I've ever seen from Matt Lucas, and I've seen him give some pretty ropey performances.

I honestly like this film. Partly it's my man-crush on Mads, but it has several well-staged action sequences (and I enjoy the way they play the main character as a movie monster almost. The Equalizer movies did similar but they took it more seriously whereas this is more cartoonish).

Matt Lucas was bad, admittedly.

Anyway over the last few days I watched The Honourable Woman, the Hugo Blick series with Maggie Gyllenhaal from a few years back. Very good. Blick likes to take risks with his subject matter- Israel/Palestine here, the aftermath of the Rwandan Genocide in Black Earth Rising- but I think it pays off (there is one subtheme in Black Earth Rising that feels a bit hypocritical but overall it works, though I'm not Rwandan or Congolese so people of that background may have much stronger opinions). He also has a tendency to over-twist in an effort to obfuscate, and sometimes to over-estimate the dreadful weight of a mystery, and did do so at times here, but he does tension like no-one else in telly, has some really good dialogue, and gets great performances out of his actors (Maggie Gylenhaal is phenomenal here, Stephen Rea gives a hangdog-snark masterclass, and Lubna Azabal has such screen presence and really could be given the lead in something big based on this).

I would quite like to see Blick direct a movie, see what happens when a tighter time-frame means he can't overcomplicate things as much. All three of his major series have verged on all-time greatness but all just slightly fall down coz there's just a little too much going on. I do admire his commitment to one-and-done miniseries though.

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I honestly like this film. Partly it's my man-crush on Mads, but it has several well-staged action sequences (and I enjoy the way they play the main character as a movie monster almost. The Equalizer movies did similar but they took it more seriously whereas this is more cartoonish).

There are some pretty good action sequences: the attack on the cabin is well done. Tone is a problem, though. I mean, Mads' character is captured, tortured for three days (apparently without food or water) and then escapes killing a couple of dozen guards in the process, despite being shot at least twice in the process. Next day he's recovered enough to go hunt Matt Lucas down. All very cartoony. But then we find out his connection to Vanessa Hudgen's character is that he massacred her entire family including her nine-year-old brother and pregnant mother. That shit is way too dark for this type of movie. Even the torture scenes are honestly hard to reconcile with the rest of the movie: again, just too dark.

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

For reasons I can't explain, I felt compelled to binge watch the Hunger Games films. Some thoughts:

1. It amazes me how a franchise that was made within the last decade, with an A list star, that grossed almost $3 billion dollars at the box office (world wide) has largely fallen off the radar. Like I don't know if there are Hunger Games message boards where they go at it like badgers but I'm not detecting a lot of chatter about it anywhere.

2. It's impressive to me how good it is. It's just really well done top to bottom. Characters, themes, story, world building,  performances, cinematography, score; all top shelf. It also has some interesting historical references and is not afraid to get political. Even the final film, probably the weakest, is still quite good and wraps up the story in a satisfying way. More so than a lot of the franchise film stuff to come out in recent years. 

I'm still surprised at myself for being genuinely excited when each new movie came out. I shouldn't have liked them, but I did. 

The last 2 movies were a real trudge though. They did a good job of making me lose all interest. That whole 'split up movies into 2' should go down as a dark trend in cinema.

Archived